Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

George Nethercutt (R), US Senate, WA (Challenger)

Campaign & Candidate Information

Name of Candidate: Congressman George R. Nethercutt Jr.

Name of Campaign Committee: Nethercutt for U.S. Senate

Mailing Address: 330 112th AVE NE Suite 101, Bellevue, WA 98004

Phone Contact Information: (425) 462-6152

Campaign E-mail and website: Email: george@nethercuttforsenate.com; Web: http://www.nethercuttforsenate.com.

Political Party: Republican

Is the candidate (Incumbent, Challenger, Open Seat): Challenger

Campaign Funds Raised (as of most recent reporting cycle): Funds will not be updated until Friday, October 15, 2004.

This form completed by: Megan Lawrence on behalf of George R. Nethercutt Jr.

Candidate Background Information

Prior political or campaign experience:

Nethercutt was Staff Counsel to U.S. Senator Ted Stevens (R - Alaska) in Washington, D.C. in 1972. He then served as Stevens' Chief of Staff working on issues including agriculture, fisheries, timber and mining. He has represented Washington’s 5th Congressional District in the United States House of Representatives for the past 10 years. His Appropriations Committee assignments to the Agriculture, Interior and Defense Subcommittees have afforded him an excellent opportunity to serve the diverse needs of the 5th District and Washington State. As vice chairman of the Defense Subcommittee, he was able to work closely on preparing America's military for our changing defense needs, homeland security, and the War on Terrorism.

Top Campaign Issues:

I am running for the United States Senate because our state is falling behind the nation, and that is unacceptable. Ten years ago, I ran against the Speaker of the House, Tom Foley, because I felt my district was headed in the wrong direction. Today, I am running for U.S. Senate against Patty Murray, because I feel the same way about our state. Common sense legal reforms and permanent tax relief are what is right for Washington State. I will bring a voice for Washington business back to the United States Senate.

National security is a top priority. The war on terror is central to our security and economic health. My opponent, Patty Murray, believes that our ports and borders are our first line of defense - I know they are our last. We need to continue to provide the necessary resources to ensure that our troops have the finest training and equipment to maintain security and stability in Iraq. Our efforts must be sustained so that the front lines of the war on terror are where terror lives and breeds, not here at home.

Education, Awards & Honors:

A graduate of North Central High School in Spokane, Nethercutt earned a B.A. in English from Washington State University in 1967. In 1971, he graduated from Gonzaga University School of Law and was admitted to the Washington State Bar Association in March 1972. Nethercutt became a community leader after returning to Washington State in the late 1970s. His work in family law led Nethercutt to join with others to found the private, non-profit Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery for the prevention of child abuse. This organization mirrors Nethercutt’s belief that the private sector is better equipped to handle social problems than the bureaucracy of government. After his daughter, Meredith, was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, Nethercutt dedicated himself to finding a cure. In Congress, he founded and co-chairs the Congressional Diabetes Caucus. He is a past President of the Inland Northwest Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and a research grant was named in his family's honor in 1999. In 1996, Nethercutt was named Legislator of the Year by the American Association of Diabetes Educators. Nethercutt is an active member of the Agriculture Subcommittee that handles farming and also oversees the Food and Drug Administration. In 2000, Nethercutt was recognized as "Wheat Leader of the Year" by the National Association of Wheat Growers and with the Golden Plow Award from the American Farm Bureau Federation for his work to open up foreign markets to U.S. food and medicine. As a Congressman, Nethercutt’s top priority has been creating new jobs. As Senator, this will be a top priority as well. Nethercutt's voting record on issues pertaining to job creation has earned him recognition from dozens of groups, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the National Federation of Independent Business, the United Seniors Association and the League of Private Property Voters. This year, Americans for Tax Reform named him a "Hero of the Taxpayer." In addition, Nethercutt is a co-chair of the Congressional Northern Border Caucus, a bipartisan Caucus that highlights policy concerns and issues affecting U.S.-Canadian relations and our economic partnership. In the 108th Congress, the Northern Border Caucus focused primarily on border security and border relations.

Issue Information

(Please describe your feelings on the following with a number 1-10 or with the response “Undecided� (1=�Strongly Disagree�, 2-4=Disagree, 5=Neutral, 6-9 Agree, 10=Strongly Agree)

-Reducing illegal immigration should be a top priority for America? 10

-Reducing illegal immigration is important to the voters of my district? NA

-Illegal Immigrants should be deported when detected in the interior of the US? 10: However, in trying to identify illegal residents, civil liberties must be protected.

-Illegal Immigration is a threat to our national security? 10

-Illegal Immigration is unfair to those that obey the law and legally immigrate? 10

-Illegal Immigrants should be allowed to receive driver licenses? 1

-Illegal Immigrants should be allowed to attend state sponsored universities at in-state tuition rates? 2

-Illegal Immigrants currently in the U.S. should be granted amnesty or enrolled in a “Guest worker program�? 1

-Federal and state tax dollars should be spent to provide translators and bilingual information in government agencies? Need more information.

-Penalties provided under current laws should not be enforced on illegal immigrants? Need more information.

-State and local law enforcement officers should be allowed to assist in immigration law enforcement? Undecided.

-Illegal aliens that return to their home countries should be allowed to receive social security benefits? 1

Short Answer

-Has your campaign addressed the topic of illegal immigration in speeches, commercials, ads, or campaign materials? What are those messages? (Please provide sources or examples).

The topic of illegal immigration has not played a central role in this campaign.

-What do you feel your opponent’s stance on illegal immigration or immigration reform is or would be?

My opponent has not engaged in a frank and open discussion on any issues, including immigration issues.

-Have you been endorsed by or received contributions from any other immigration reform or illegal immigration reduction groups at this time?

To date, I do not believe that I have been endorsed by or received any contribution from any immigration reform or illegal immigration reduction groups.

-Would you openly accept an endorsement and or contribution from ALIPAC?

Yes.

AFTER COMPLETING THIS FORM, PLEASE SAVE THE DOCUMENT AND EMAIL IT BACK TO US AT WILLIAMG@ALIPAC.US

PAID FOR BY AMERICANS FOR LEGAL IMMIGRATION PAC

AMERICANS FOR LEGAL IMMIGRATION PAC
    Post Office Box 30966
    Raleigh, NC 27622-0966
    (919) 787-6009
    Toll Free: (866) 329-3999
    FAX: (919) 573-0302
    FEC ID: C00405878

George Nethercutt (R), US Senate, WA (Challenger)

Campaign & Candidate Information

Name of Candidate: Congressman George R. Nethercutt Jr.

Name of Campaign Committee: Nethercutt for U.S. Senate

Mailing Address: 330 112th AVE NE Suite 101, Bellevue, WA 98004

Phone Contact Information: (425) 462-6152

Campaign E-mail and website: Email: george@nethercuttforsenate.com; Web: http://www.nethercuttforsenate.com.

Political Party: Republican

Is the candidate (Incumbent, Challenger, Open Seat): Challenger

Campaign Funds Raised (as of most recent reporting cycle): Funds will not be updated until Friday, October 15, 2004.

This form completed by: Megan Lawrence on behalf of George R. Nethercutt Jr.

Candidate Background Information

Prior political or campaign experience:

Nethercutt was Staff Counsel to U.S. Senator Ted Stevens (R - Alaska) in Washington, D.C. in 1972. He then served as Stevens' Chief of Staff working on issues including agriculture, fisheries, timber and mining. He has represented Washington’s 5th Congressional District in the United States House of Representatives for the past 10 years. His Appropriations Committee assignments to the Agriculture, Interior and Defense Subcommittees have afforded him an excellent opportunity to serve the diverse needs of the 5th District and Washington State. As vice chairman of the Defense Subcommittee, he was able to work closely on preparing America's military for our changing defense needs, homeland security, and the War on Terrorism.

Top Campaign Issues:

I am running for the United States Senate because our state is falling behind the nation, and that is unacceptable. Ten years ago, I ran against the Speaker of the House, Tom Foley, because I felt my district was headed in the wrong direction. Today, I am running for U.S. Senate against Patty Murray, because I feel the same way about our state. Common sense legal reforms and permanent tax relief are what is right for Washington State. I will bring a voice for Washington business back to the United States Senate.

National security is a top priority. The war on terror is central to our security and economic health. My opponent, Patty Murray, believes that our ports and borders are our first line of defense - I know they are our last. We need to continue to provide the necessary resources to ensure that our troops have the finest training and equipment to maintain security and stability in Iraq. Our efforts must be sustained so that the front lines of the war on terror are where terror lives and breeds, not here at home.

Education, Awards & Honors:

A graduate of North Central High School in Spokane, Nethercutt earned a B.A. in English from Washington State University in 1967. In 1971, he graduated from Gonzaga University School of Law and was admitted to the Washington State Bar Association in March 1972. Nethercutt became a community leader after returning to Washington State in the late 1970s. His work in family law led Nethercutt to join with others to found the private, non-profit Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery for the prevention of child abuse. This organization mirrors Nethercutt’s belief that the private sector is better equipped to handle social problems than the bureaucracy of government. After his daughter, Meredith, was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, Nethercutt dedicated himself to finding a cure. In Congress, he founded and co-chairs the Congressional Diabetes Caucus. He is a past President of the Inland Northwest Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and a research grant was named in his family's honor in 1999. In 1996, Nethercutt was named Legislator of the Year by the American Association of Diabetes Educators. Nethercutt is an active member of the Agriculture Subcommittee that handles farming and also oversees the Food and Drug Administration. In 2000, Nethercutt was recognized as "Wheat Leader of the Year" by the National Association of Wheat Growers and with the Golden Plow Award from the American Farm Bureau Federation for his work to open up foreign markets to U.S. food and medicine. As a Congressman, Nethercutt’s top priority has been creating new jobs. As Senator, this will be a top priority as well. Nethercutt's voting record on issues pertaining to job creation has earned him recognition from dozens of groups, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the National Federation of Independent Business, the United Seniors Association and the League of Private Property Voters. This year, Americans for Tax Reform named him a "Hero of the Taxpayer." In addition, Nethercutt is a co-chair of the Congressional Northern Border Caucus, a bipartisan Caucus that highlights policy concerns and issues affecting U.S.-Canadian relations and our economic partnership. In the 108th Congress, the Northern Border Caucus focused primarily on border security and border relations.

Issue Information

(Please describe your feelings on the following with a number 1-10 or with the response “Undecided� (1=�Strongly Disagree�, 2-4=Disagree, 5=Neutral, 6-9 Agree, 10=Strongly Agree)

-Reducing illegal immigration should be a top priority for America? 10

-Reducing illegal immigration is important to the voters of my district? NA

-Illegal Immigrants should be deported when detected in the interior of the US? 10: However, in trying to identify illegal residents, civil liberties must be protected.

-Illegal Immigration is a threat to our national security? 10

-Illegal Immigration is unfair to those that obey the law and legally immigrate? 10

-Illegal Immigrants should be allowed to receive driver licenses? 1

-Illegal Immigrants should be allowed to attend state sponsored universities at in-state tuition rates? 2

-Illegal Immigrants currently in the U.S. should be granted amnesty or enrolled in a “Guest worker program�? 1

-Federal and state tax dollars should be spent to provide translators and bilingual information in government agencies? Need more information.

-Penalties provided under current laws should not be enforced on illegal immigrants? Need more information.

-State and local law enforcement officers should be allowed to assist in immigration law enforcement? Undecided.

-Illegal aliens that return to their home countries should be allowed to receive social security benefits? 1

Short Answer

-Has your campaign addressed the topic of illegal immigration in speeches, commercials, ads, or campaign materials? What are those messages? (Please provide sources or examples).

The topic of illegal immigration has not played a central role in this campaign.

-What do you feel your opponent’s stance on illegal immigration or immigration reform is or would be?

My opponent has not engaged in a frank and open discussion on any issues, including immigration issues.

-Have you been endorsed by or received contributions from any other immigration reform or illegal immigration reduction groups at this time?

To date, I do not believe that I have been endorsed by or received any contribution from any immigration reform or illegal immigration reduction groups.

-Would you openly accept an endorsement and or contribution from ALIPAC?

Yes.

AFTER COMPLETING THIS FORM, PLEASE SAVE THE DOCUMENT AND EMAIL IT BACK TO US AT WILLIAMG@ALIPAC.US

PAID FOR BY AMERICANS FOR LEGAL IMMIGRATION PAC

AMERICANS FOR LEGAL IMMIGRATION PAC
    Post Office Box 30966
    Raleigh, NC 27622-0966
    (919) 787-6009
    Toll Free: (866) 329-3999
    FAX: (919) 573-0302
    FEC ID: C00405878