Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX-Nolan Richardson keynote speaker for LULAC event today

Nolan Richardson keynote speaker for LULAC event today

By John Erfort
    El Paso Times
    Posted: 04/24/2009 07:55:12 AM MDT

EL PASO -- Although neither one of them could have known it on that day back in 1962, Nolan Richardson and Bert Williams forever would be joined together.
    Not on a basketball court, though both excelled for UTEP at different times during the Texas Western days, but in the fight against racism.

It's not that either was an unwilling combatant against segregation. It's just that the circumstances suddenly threw them together.

They'll be together again today, when Richardson will be the keynote speaker for LULAC Project Amistad's annual Lucy G. Acosta Humanitarian Awards Dinner at the Camino Real hotel.

The program begins at 8 p.m., with cocktails at 6 p.m. and dinner at 7 p.m. (tickets are $100 and available at the door).

Three individuals and one non-profit group will receive humanitarian awards. They are U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, founder Mary Russell of the Child Crisis Center and George Yapor, owner of Popular Mattress. Blanca Enriquez, the executive director of the Head Start program, will accept the non-profit of the year award.

Richardson will speak and present Williams with a special award.

LULAC District 4 director Elvia Hernandez said Williams will be honored for his work in getting a city ordinance passed, over a mayor's veto, that banned discrimination in motels, hotels, theaters and restaurants -- two years before the U.S. passed the Civil Rights Act in 1964.

Richardson's role was that he was the young man that Williams gave a ride home that day after a softball game. But first they stopped to get a burger at a restaurant in Central El Paso. Richardson was reluctant to enter, but Williams talked him into it. Richardson wasn't served.
    "I said if you can't serve him, I'll find out why and we'll do something about it," said Williams, a lawyer who is in his 80s. "And I'm only telling you this because I think everyone should know what kind of guy Nolan really is."

Asked why he felt so compelled to act, Williams said, "I grew up on the South Side. Mexicans were not treated very well, and blacks were denied everything. It always affected me, the way they were treated."

Williams was pleased to be invited to the awards dinner, especially with the chance to introduce Richardson.

"I was thrilled," he said. "You can see what kind of man Nolan is in the community: there are schools and streets named after him."

John Erfort may be reached at jerfort@elpasotimes.com; 546-6170.

Make plans

What: Lucy G. Acosta Humanitarian Awards Dinner.

When: 6 to 9 p.m. today.

Where: Camino Real Hotel, 101 S. El Paso St.

Admission: Tickets cost $100 a person.

Information: 533-3188 or 298-6999.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_12215245

I knew there was some kind of controversy with Nolan Richardson a few years back but couldn't remember what it was exactly....nother race card player...............

In February 2002, Richardson spoke out against the administration at the University of Arkansas and its fans. He claimed that he was being mistreated because he was African American, and challenged Athletic Director Frank Broyles to buy out the remainder of his contract. Shortly thereafter, Arkansas dismissed Richardson as head coach. In December 2002, Richardson filed a lawsuit against the University, the Board of Trustees, and the Razorback Foundation, citing a racially discriminatory environment. Coach Richardson's lawsuit was dismissed in July 2004.
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok