Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

100-mph crash leaves 1 dead, 5 badly injured

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php? ... talsonoita

Tuesday, March 1, 2005

DAVID L. TEIBEL
    Tucson Citizen

XAVIER GALLEGOS/Tucson Citizen

Witnesses to yesterday morning's crash on I-10 told state Department of Public Safety officers the car was going more than 100 mph when it ran off the freeway and rolled.

One person was killed and five others seriously injured when the driver of a car full of suspected illegal immigrants lost control of the vehicle on Interstate 10 yesterday, a state Department of Public Safety spokesman said.

The westbound car went off the road about 8 a.m. just east of the Sonoita Highway exit, crashed through a barbed-wire fence, continued across the westbound frontage road and rolled, Officer Frank Torres said.

Witnesses estimated the car's speed at more than 100 mph, Torres said.

The person killed was a 25-year-old man whose name is being withheld until next of kin are told. The other passengers were a 15-year-old boy; Felipe Lopez Cruz, 33; Pedro Lopez Cruz, 34; and Antonio Arroyo, 38. The driver and owner of the 1988 Nissan was Felipe Augustine Fortino, 21. Authorities will not say where they were from.

Three medical helicopters flew the injured to hospitals, Torres said.

No law officers were pursuing the car before it crashed, Torres said. He he did not know why the driver was speeding.

The westbound frontage road was closed while DPS officers investigated, Torres said.

Torres said the case will be forwarded to the county attorney for possible charges against the driver. The charges could range from driving at an excessive speed to negligent homicide, he said.

Citizen Staff Writer Anne T. Denogean contributed to this article.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php? ... talsonoita

Tuesday, March 1, 2005

DAVID L. TEIBEL
    Tucson Citizen

XAVIER GALLEGOS/Tucson Citizen

Witnesses to yesterday morning's crash on I-10 told state Department of Public Safety officers the car was going more than 100 mph when it ran off the freeway and rolled.

One person was killed and five others seriously injured when the driver of a car full of suspected illegal immigrants lost control of the vehicle on Interstate 10 yesterday, a state Department of Public Safety spokesman said.

The westbound car went off the road about 8 a.m. just east of the Sonoita Highway exit, crashed through a barbed-wire fence, continued across the westbound frontage road and rolled, Officer Frank Torres said.

Witnesses estimated the car's speed at more than 100 mph, Torres said.

The person killed was a 25-year-old man whose name is being withheld until next of kin are told. The other passengers were a 15-year-old boy; Felipe Lopez Cruz, 33; Pedro Lopez Cruz, 34; and Antonio Arroyo, 38. The driver and owner of the 1988 Nissan was Felipe Augustine Fortino, 21. Authorities will not say where they were from.

Three medical helicopters flew the injured to hospitals, Torres said.

No law officers were pursuing the car before it crashed, Torres said. He he did not know why the driver was speeding.

The westbound frontage road was closed while DPS officers investigated, Torres said.

Torres said the case will be forwarded to the county attorney for possible charges against the driver. The charges could range from driving at an excessive speed to negligent homicide, he said.

Citizen Staff Writer Anne T. Denogean contributed to this article.

"No law officers were pursuing the car before it crashed, Torres said. He he did not know why the driver was speeding. "

Mexico will still probable try and sue the DPS for not being on the job.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"No law officers were pursuing the car before it crashed, Torres said. He he did not know why the driver was speeding. "

Mexico will still probable try and sue the DPS for not being on the job.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

gp
    mexico wont the illegal alian will, and their couse will be we did'nt get there fast enough.....

gp
    mexico wont the illegal alian will, and their couse will be we did'nt get there fast enough.....

Quote Originally Posted by gp
    And some less-than-ethical attorney will certainly take the case!

My parents were hit head-on in broad daylight on a two-lane road after a day of shopping in 1982. They told me of the event via telephone and I took off work to go check on them. Dad had hit the windshield .. mother was driving. She braced with her feet when she saw the two illegals coming towards her .. drunk and towing another car. To the day she died, she had pain in her legs that became almost debilitating in her later years. The impact caused awful bruising and purple mottling to her legs from the knees down that never disappeared and she suffered from peripheral vascular disease, commonly affecting diabetics. However, she was not diabetic. Nothing relieved the pain and I'm certain it originated with the injuries received in that accident. She suffered greatly!

They withheld lots of details from me many times because I was rather protective ... especially as they grew older .. they didn't want me to "worry."

When I went to the junkyard to see the car, I couldn't believe my eyes. The hood was bent upwards in a "V". The windshield shattered. What they had relayed and what I saw was a different picture. They didn't know I would get the "full story" by going to look at the car.

Thank God my parents weren't killed. There was another family from my hometown .... nice retired couple .. who were hit ...again by illegals ...she was killed and he suffered major injuries. SENSELESS!!

Of course, my parents never got any restitution and, if I remember correctly, the idiots ran off before the police arrived.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by gp
    And some less-than-ethical attorney will certainly take the case!

My parents were hit head-on in broad daylight on a two-lane road after a day of shopping in 1982. They told me of the event via telephone and I took off work to go check on them. Dad had hit the windshield .. mother was driving. She braced with her feet when she saw the two illegals coming towards her .. drunk and towing another car. To the day she died, she had pain in her legs that became almost debilitating in her later years. The impact caused awful bruising and purple mottling to her legs from the knees down that never disappeared and she suffered from peripheral vascular disease, commonly affecting diabetics. However, she was not diabetic. Nothing relieved the pain and I'm certain it originated with the injuries received in that accident. She suffered greatly!

They withheld lots of details from me many times because I was rather protective ... especially as they grew older .. they didn't want me to "worry."

When I went to the junkyard to see the car, I couldn't believe my eyes. The hood was bent upwards in a "V". The windshield shattered. What they had relayed and what I saw was a different picture. They didn't know I would get the "full story" by going to look at the car.

Thank God my parents weren't killed. There was another family from my hometown .... nice retired couple .. who were hit ...again by illegals ...she was killed and he suffered major injuries. SENSELESS!!

Of course, my parents never got any restitution and, if I remember correctly, the idiots ran off before the police arrived.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan