Like Tree1Likes

Thread: After Quashing DREAM Act, Boehner Knocks Obama For Quashing DREAM Act

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

After Quashing DREAM Act, Boehner Knocks Obama For Quashing DREAM Act

After Quashing DREAM Act, Boehner Knocks Obama For Quashing DREAM Act

House Speaker John Boehner criticized the Obama administration’s immigration directive on familiar process-related grounds — having apparently forgotten that he’d quashed nearly all hope of getting the DREAM Act through Congress this year.

“It puts everyone in a difficult position,” Boehner complained at a press availability Tuesday, arguing that the administration’s unilateral move made reaching a bipartisan legislative solution more difficult.

But weeks ago, Boehner admitted that enacting DREAM-like legislation to provide legal status to certain unauthorized immigrants brought to the United States as children would be nearly impossible in this Congress.

“There’s always hope,” Boehner said in April. “I did talk to Senator Rubio about his idea, and he gave me some particulars about how this would work. I found it of interest. But the problem with this issue is that we’re operating in a very hostile political environment and to deal with a very difficult issue like this I think it would be difficult at best.”

Top Republicans, up to and including Mitt Romney, were flummoxed by the White House’s immigration announcement last week. Unable to embrace the new policy for fear of angering their conservative base, and unwilling to attack the decision on its merits for fear of further angering immigrant voters, Republicans have resorted to a very narrow critique: By short-circuiting Congress, and putting members in an awkward position, Obama’s made achieving a legislative solution more difficult.

That interpretation implies that a legislative solution was possible in absence of Obama’s action. Boehner’s April comments are a clear reminder that this was not the case.

Republicans Want You To Forget Who’s At Fault For Killing Dream Act | TPMDC
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Speaker Boehner has been the least effective speaker in my memoryi. This articale dissplays well why that has been the case. He has not only failed to be able to find a concensus of the House memmbers, he has failed in determining the consensus of republican members of the House