Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALA. Anniston relocation controversy: Unattended children at U.S. border

Anniston relocation controversy: Unattended children at U.S. border

By Mike McClanahanPublished: July 7, 2014, 6:35 pmUpdated: July 7, 2014, 6:48 pm

ANNISTON, Ala. (WIAT) — A plan to possibly relocate unattended immigrant children from sites near the U.S.- Mexico border to a Calhoun County facility has been raising concerns in the Anniston area.

The controversy comes as the federal government continues looking for ways to deal with the undocumented children.

FEMA runs the Center for Domestic Preparedness in Calhoun County.

The CDP is used to train first responders how to deal with mass casualty events, large protests, and disasters.

In a statement CDP External Affairs Director Lisa Hunter said at one point some of the people who were affected by Hurricane Katrina were temporarily housed in the dorms that were part of the Noble Training Facility Complex, but that was before the CDP gained control of the site.

“CDP’s facilities were briefly considered as part of a broad review of potential facilities for temporarily sheltering unaccompanied children.

There are no available facilities at CDP to support this mission, so CDP is not currently under consideration for sheltering unaccompanied children,” said Hunter.

Protestors in California have squared off with buses carrying asylum seekers who were on the way to be processed there.

Anniston residents have mixed emotions and mixed reactions about how to respond to the humanitarian crisis facing the unattended children who illegally crossed the border.

“If they’re here right now we’ve got to care for them. I think these people that are blocking buses that are already here in our country, I think there’s seriously something wrong with that,” said Landon Shirey.

“I don’t believe they should come in here. They’ve got no right in here.

United States just don’t yield any more. They should keep them out of here,” said James Hulsey.

“It’s not a simple issue, you know my heart goes out to the kids because they’re innocent and I think you know as being a mother, I’d want the best care for my daughter,” said Kelly Greene.

Community organizer Arturo Burciaga with the Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama says the crisis on the border and the families who’ve been split up by Alabama’s immigration law point to the need for federal immigration reform.

“And so families though they’ve been acting and they’ve been trying to get something even though there’s been a total halt on behalf of the federal government,” said Burciaga.

It is unclear if any of the unaccompanied children could ultimately be housed in a different location in Alabama.

The White House announced Monday that most of the unaccompanied children who crossed the border illegally will likely be deported.

http://wiat.com/2014/07/07/anniston-...at-u-s-border/

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Community organizer Arturo Burciaga with the Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama says the crisis on the border and the families who’ve been split up by Alabama’s immigration law point to the need for federal immigration reform.
    Another government grant funded activist. What this guy is saying is that illegals in Alabama are paying to have their children delivered to them instead of the government deporting the illegal parents as the law requires. The Southwest Key is making TONS of money in Texas so they want to spread that wealth around.