Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Altoona City Ordinance on illegals introduced

http://www.altoonamirror.com/News/artic ... cleID=4232

Ordinance on illegals introduced

By William Kibler, bkibler@altoonamirror.com

Altoona City Council Wednesday introduced an ordinance designed to make it difficult for illegal aliens to live here.

The proposed ordinance, modeled after one passed by Hazleton last month, calls for fines and revocation of licenses for employers who hire illegal aliens and landlords who house them.

It would not include naming English the official language of city government, like Hazleton’s, because officials feared it wouldn’t be legally defensible.

A representative of the Altoona-Johnstown Catholic Diocese argued against the proposed ordinance, saying it may be well-intentioned but seems punitive and of questionable morality.

If it’s a reaction to last summer’s murders of three local men allegedly committed by an illegal alien, it’s blaming many for the actions of one, diocese spokesman Rob Egan said.

It could lead to people being turned out of their homes, he said, adding that he is reserving final judgment.

“Should we not try to help people regardless of their status?” he asked.

Council members defended the proposed ordinance, which has gone through several drafts since Mayor Wayne Hippo proposed it several weeks ago.

Illegal aliens breaking the law sap our resources, and they show themselves unwilling to go through channels others have navigated at great expense and effort, Councilman member Ron Reidell said.

Reidell brought his family legally into the country from Thailand after serving in the Vietnam War.

‘‘Do we owe them [the illegals] anything?’’ he asked. ‘‘I don’t think so.’’

If Americans went en masse to Canada for free health care, we couldn’t realistically expect Canada to accept it, so why should we accept an invasion of foreigners to freeload on our services, council member Mark Geis asked.

Egan questioned the council’s assumption that all illegals came here with a bad intent.

He understands that illegal immigration is a problem, but he’s not sure an ordinance is the best way to deal with it.

He’ll review the draft, he said.

Copies are available at City Hall, and the council can adopt it Sept. 27.

The ordinance would require businesses and landlords to affirm or verify they aren’t employing or housing illegals when applying for their business or rental licenses.

The ordinance calls for a $300 fine for businesses and a $1,000 fine for landlords who violate it. The Codes Department would enforce the ordinance.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

Reidell brought his family legally into the country from Thailand after serving in the Vietnam War.

‘‘Do we owe them [the illegals] anything?’’ he asked. ‘‘I don’t think so.’’

If Americans went en masse to Canada for free health care, we couldn’t realistically expect Canada to accept it, so why should we accept an invasion of foreigners to freeload on our services, council member Mark Geis asked.

It is like a breath of freash air, listening to common sense

Hooray for the elected officials from Altoona. Common sense and logic can still prevail.
    I enjoy the comments from the spokesman from the diocese. Down deep the only thing he's concerned with is what will be missing from the collection plate if the illegals are run out of town.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

The spokesperson for the Altoona-Johnstown diocese has got his marching orders. The Bishop wrote a column in the diocesan newspaper recently that was supportive of illegal aliens. Of course, he never referred to them as "illegal", but used the term "immigrants."

I wrote him a letter telling him that he was conflating two separate issues (illegal and legal immigrants) and asking him to stop trying to mislead the public on this issue.

Shortly after that was the city council meeting where Egan spoke. I heard him interviewed on a local talk radio show and my blood pressure went up about 100 points. The show's host, to his credit, didn't let him spew the pro-illegal propaganda, but called him on a few points.

I then wrote to city council and sent them information on the effects that illegal immigration has had on other communities throughout the country. I think those guys are on top of things. This area has common sense people that are not totally infected with PC.

Shortly after the city council meeting and Egan's presentation, another letter appeared in our city newspaper from the Executive Director of Catholic Charities for our area. This time telling those who call themselves Christian that it was incumbent upon them to "welcome the stranger among us" as Jesus commanded in the Bible. That prompted me to get out my poison pen again. I responded to his letter and yesterday received a call from the Altoona Mirror telling me that my letter was being considered for publication.