Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

America has sewn the seeds of failure

http://www.dakotavoice.com/200605/Opini ... elson.html

5/04/2006

America has sewn the seeds of failure
    by exporting wealth and importing poverty

BY GARY MICHELSON

Wanda's letter makes some good points while at the same time getting lost in others. She rightfully calls for those who are in this country of non-American nationality to earn their citizenship as well as the right to be here, yet she seems to miss other crucial points in this debate. I'm sure she need not be reminded that the first act of the reported 15-20 million people who are in this country illegally was to ignore our sovereignty and violate our laws. First and foremost, we are a nation of laws, not people. As a sovereign nation, America must control immigration out of necessity, which to her credit Wanda seems to acknowledge. But in case she missed some of the finer points about this debate, we must be concerned about, among other things, terrorists, a rapidly growing illegal drug trade, criminals and/or criminal behavior, infectious diseases, and the stress on our infrastructure and social safety nets, all of which can, and in the case of unregulated immigration—the size of which at our southern boarder constitutes an outright invasion--cost our society billions of dollars and the cohesion necessary to keep this country great. Far more important, however, is that unchecked immigration leads to societal and organizational breakdown. Even too many legal immigrants, if not properly spaced, can place such a burden on the social structure of this country that we risk the same fate (we only have to look to France for an example). And sadly, our outdated and ridiculous immigration policies and unwillingness to enforce existing laws, not to mention the inaction of our leaders, have led this country to the precipice of a disaster.

What seems lost on many is that while we’re able to obtain cheap labor, it doesn’t come without a price. We are ratcheting down our standard of living as we export wealth and import poverty. Most of the illegals (and many legal immigrants) in this country are poorly educated, low skilled, and have or are escaping a homeland who's government is corrupt, has plunged its economy into near-depression, and has become determined to freeload off the American economy. The 15 to 20 million illegals here already are for the most part a permanent lower class. They don't universally promote nor seem to value education or assimilation and are as much, if not more, a drag on the American economy and social services than anything they may contribute back.

As for education, a study recently in Denver Public Schools tracked students who entered the 8th grade in 1999. As a large sanctuary city, Denver has a significant illegal (and legal) Hispanic population. Only 1 in 4 of those students tracked graduated with a high school diploma. Nationally, only 7% of Hispanics in this country receive a bachelor's degree. Yet, these represent families who have been here for a while now. It will only multiply exponentially given the sizeable invasion that has taken place at our southern boarder in the six years since 2000, a period in which clearly more than half of the illegals here have entered this country, and given the fact that statistically Latinos have significantly higher birth rates than Americans of European ancestry.

As for assimilation, our history of promoting bilingual education has backfired by removing incentives for foreigners to learn English, the language of commerce and an essential tool to keep our society intact. Moreover, this country faces the prospects of balkanization as its corporations and government--spending an estimated $3.2 billion annually--willingly pander to illegals and discourages English by printing material, ads, voting guides, etc. in multiple languages (the Census Bureau reports that 21.3 million Americans can barely speak English—a 52% increase in only 10 years). This is a recipe for failure, for what necessarily bind a country together are a common language, shared social values, national unity, and loyalty. With some exceptions, Hispanics tend to congregate together in enclaves and resist becoming full-fledged Americans. Their perpetual socio-economic class may never allow them to escape the shackles of this existence. Those who support the relative multicultural orthodoxy that believes in an open-boarder policy are merely trading the euphoria of a "feel good" sentiment for an economic disaster.

Finally, one only need look around for plenty of anecdotal and scientific evidence on what the cost is to society (the government has kept few statistics on illegals). While Wanda stated that immigrants pay income taxes, there are legions that don't. The construction industry, where many illegals find work, is well known for its cash, under-the-table economy. Many illegals who are legitimately registered, or otherwise would file income taxes, more than likely claim enough dependents (due to higher than average birth rates or because many live together) that their tax payments are either null or, worse yet, they receive money they never paid in via the refundable low income tax credit. Moreover, the "anchor baby" provision of the 14th Amendment to the constitution is like a magnet for illegals to cross boarder states and use our medical facilities without the ability to pay. Un-funded federal mandates require medical services be provided to these indigents (estimated at $2 billion each year). Perhaps that explains why approximately 80 hospitals in California had to close their doors and in 2003 another 80 filed for bankruptcy. Even when funded by the government, the drain on Medicaid (estimated at $2.5 billion) for treatment of illegals is speeding it toward bankruptcy. Does anyone wonder why entitlements (such as Medicaid, food stamps and other welfare programs) are the fastest growing segments of the federal budget? And, what about the drain on our education system? Not only is the drain measured in dollars but also the overcrowding conditions accompanied by 15-20 million more people doubtless diminish the effectiveness of educators. It is estimated that immigrants from Mexico, both legal and illegal, send between $20 and $30 billion back to Mexico annually. Along with the manufacturing industries we have exported the last 20 years and now high tech jobs to India, this financial drain contributes significantly to the exportation of this country's wealth. In the late ‘60s this country was the world’s foremost creditor nation. It is now the world’s largest debtor nation.

I could go on, but suffice it to say we have sowed the seeds for failure. Al-Qaida has proven to be a patient organization. All it has to do now to accomplish its goal is wait another 10-15 years. As demonstrated above, we are exporting wealth and importing poverty, our standard of living is dropping as wages are driven down by illegals, we have mortgaged our future, and we are rapidly losing our sense of culture and national unity. We will do to ourselves what no foreign army or the Cold War could every do; we will implode from our own absurd, illogical policies and our "feel good" desire to blindly champion this insidious concept of multiculturalism and open boarders.

Gary Michelson manages a government accounting office that he has been with for 30 years. He graduated from the University of Maryland in 1973. Gary has wife & 2 kids in the Denver area. He's lived in Colorado area for 28 years. For the past ten years, he has been a conservative with grave concerns about this country's future.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.dakotavoice.com/200605/Opini ... tinez.html

GUEST COLUMN

5/02/2006

Cutting Through the Confusion About Citizenship
    While Uncle Sam Scratches His Head

BY WANDA MARTINEZ

I find it very disturbing the turn that the immigration issue has taken. I honestly do not understand the logistics of what lawmakers are proposing or not proposing as it seems to change from day to day possibly even hour to hour.

I do understand this much: it has taken a very long time for immigration to get this screwed up and it will take twice as long to fix it.

I know how many people feel about the influx of immigrants, and I feel much the same way. I may even understand it a little more than most. My husband is Hispanic. He came from Mexico 9 years ago as an illegal and has since worked his way through the immigration process to the status of Permanent Resident. This process cost him over $4000 and took almost 4 years. I have seen people stare at him and whisper behind his back as if he were a criminal or a life form from another planet. I assure he is neither of those things. He is a strong willed, fair minded, courageous individual who left his home so he could provide a better life for the single mother of seven who had raised him on her own in a one room concrete box. Often times we are so quick to judge people (all people) that we never bother take time to think about who that person is or where they came from. A woman in line at the checkout line of the local grocery using food stamps must be just plain lazy. You never think that her spouse may have died, her employer closed down or she may have lost her home to fire. The point is you never know one's situation until you inquire or research.

Many Americans are under the impression that once you marry a citizen you automatically become a citizen. I would like those people to know that is no longer the case. Being married to an American makes you nothing more than a married illegal immigrant. So those of you who may think the Mexicans are here to take your jobs and your women, do some research.

Many people are also under the impression that Hispanics do not pay taxes. I would like to clarify that as well. Do your research on this subject and you will find that many illegal immigrants have federal tax ID#'s. You can apply in whatever state you live and with a birth certificate and a photo ID, such as a driver's license, passport or school ID card; you can easily obtain an ID#. The immigrant then applies for a job using this number and they work on it for a year, until tax season rolls around and the IRS starts doing its probes. They then change jobs using the same ID# issued by the state and continue the pattern year after year after year. Now, here's the good part, good for Americans anyway: all of the money deducted from these employees again using the ID# that they were legally issued (using no falsified documents) goes straight into the Federal Government's pocket and is returned to Americans in the form of state assistance programs such as SSI, food stamps, health departments, DOT, city, state and local police because although the documents used to obtain their ID# is completely and 100% legal, they never file taxes and never qualify for tax refunds.

Also, when you are at a store standing in line behind a Hispanic person and their goods are being totaled, take a look and see how much of a tax discount they get. That's right, you guessed it: none. They pay the same county, city and state sales and property taxes as you and I.

There are many bad Mexicans just as there are bad whites, blacks, Indian, Chinese, Japanese and every other nationality known to man. So why do we seek to punish the child for the sins of the father so to speak? Why do we want to banish all Mexicans based on the actions of a few?

I am an American. I was an American and will die an American. My body will be buried on American soil. My husband is a Mexican. Born Mexican, will die Mexican and will be buried on Mexican soil. He has chosen to make his life here. You to have the same freedom to chose where you wish to live, work, and raise your family. A large number of American people chose to retire and live in places such as Mexico. The Mexican people are not petitioning, lobbying, or forming vigilante groups to patrol their borders to ensure that we are not allowed in. Are they?

This is a very delicate subject. People have the right to have and voice their opinions. Thanks to the men and women who have fought on foreign soil to give you those rights. I have my own views and beliefs. I think the language is without a doubt one of the biggest issues outside of the legality issues. I think anyone who wishes to be here should be allowed to be here if they do it the right way. Take the correct steps and following the rules.

I think the 6 year guest worker program now before congress is ridiculous. Make it 1 - 2 years with mandatory visits to an immigration office every 6 months. Make taking English a requirement before ever issuing any documentation whatsoever whether it be a guest worker or citizenship. English should not be a second language to Americans! Set up a system where all law enforcement including city, state and federal officials have access to a database which will allow them to verify an inmate's immigration status in real time. If a detainee has no documentation it should result in immediate deportation. The U.S. has enough criminals of its own! We are quickly running out of space to house good, descent, God fearing, hard working, and law abiding people in this country anyway.

Finally, is U.S. citizenship a gift, a right or something that must be earned? Think carefully before you answer because if you were born in America, no matter your ethnic background, it is a gift. You have to do nothing more for it. It is yours. If you are a soldier, you may think it is a right earned by our service men. Wrong. It is a gift given to each and every one of us, by a soldier and paid for by the spilling of his blood, the droppings of his sweat and the silent tears he cries at the loss of a fellow service man and wrapped in a beautiful package called freedom. For the person who never had it, it is a dream, a dream that you will do anything to make come true. It is something that is earned.

You must prove yourself just as my husband did. The freedoms he now enjoys are freedoms that he has worked very hard for. He sees no justification in the proposed idea of "giving" others in is own culture something he had to fight tooth and nail to get--something that he is so proud of and grateful for.

Wanda Martinez is a life long resident of North Carolina. She has been married for 6 years, is a federal employee dedicated to the service of U.S. veterans, and is very passionate about equality and fair treatment of all people.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn