Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Anger mounts after Mexican teen shotkilled by Border Patrol

Anger mounts after teen killed by Border Patrol agent
    Jun. 8, 2010 05:36 PM
    Associated Press

EL PASO, Texas - A U.S. Border Patrol agent fatally shot a 15-year-old Mexican boy after a group trying to illegally enter Texas threw rocks at officers near downtown El Paso, U.S. authorities said Tuesday.

The shooting, which happened Monday evening beneath a railroad bridge linking the two nations, drew sharp criticism from Mexico, where the government said Tuesday that "the use of firearms to repel attacks with stones represents disproportionate use of force, particularly coming from authorities who have received specialized training."

It was the second death of a Mexican at the hands of Border Patrol officers in less than two weeks, and the case threatened to swell into a full-blown international incident when U.S. and Mexican officials traded suggestions of misconduct.

Arturo Sandoval, a spokesman for the Chihuahua Attorney General's office, said a spent 40-mm shell was found near the body — raising the question of whether the fatal shot was fired inside Mexico, although he did not explicitly make that suggestion. That would violate the rules for Border Patrol agents, who are supposed to stay on the U.S. side of the border.

A U.S. official, meanwhile, said video shows the Border Patrol agent did not enter Mexico. The official, who agreed to discuss the matter only if not quoted by name, said the video also shows what seem to be four Mexican law enforcement officers driving to the edge of the dry but muddy bed of the Rio Grande, walking across to the U.S. side, picking up an undetermined object and returning to Mexico near the area where the boy's body was. Like their U.S. counterparts, Mexican law officers are not authorized to cross the border without permission.

According to the FBI, Border Patrol agents were responding to a group of suspected illegal immigrants being smuggled into the U.S. near the Paso Del Norte bridge, across from Ciudad Juarez around 6:30 p.m. Monday.

One suspected illegal immigrant was detained on the levee on the U.S. side, the FBI said in a statement. Another Border Patrol agent arrived on the concrete bank where the now-dry, 33-feet (10-meter) wide Rio Grande is, and detained a second suspect. Other suspects ran back into Mexico and began throwing rocks, the FBI said. At least one rock came from behind the agent, who was kneeling beside the suspected illegal immigrant who he had prone on the ground, FBI spokeswoman Andrea Simmons said.

The agent told the rock throwers to stop and back off, but they continued. The agent fired his weapon several times, hitting one who later died, said the FBI, which is leading the investigation because it involved an assault on a federal officer. The agent was not injured, Simmons said. Border Patrol Special Operations Supervisor Ramiro Cordero said preliminary reports showed Border Patrol agents on bicycle patrol "were assaulted with rocks by an unknown number of people."

"During the assault at least one agent discharged his firearm," he said. "The agent is currently on administrative leave. A thorough, multi-agency investigation is currently ongoing."

Chihuahua State officials released a statement Tuesday demanding a full investigation into the death of the boy, identified as Sergio Adrian Hernandez Huereca.

The boy was shot once near the eye, Sandoval said. Authorities are still investigating the bullet's trajectory, he said.

Sandoval said he couldn't comment on the video reported by the U.S. official because he didn't know anything about it.

"I am unaware about those hypotheses," he said. "What I can tell you is that there is an ongoing investigation."

Sandoval said investigators were questioning three teenagers who were with the victim at the time of the shooting.

The boy's sister, Rosario Hernandez, told Associated Press Television News that her brother was playing with several friends and did not plan to cross the border.

"They say that they started firing from over there and suddenly hit him in the head," she said Monday.

His mother, Maria Guadalupe Huereca, told Milenio TV in Mexico that her son had gone to visit his brother, who handles luggage at a border customs office. While there, he met up with a group of friends and they decided to hang out by the river, she said.

"That was his mistake, to have gone to the river," she said. "That's why they killed him." She said he ran and hid underneath one of the bridge's pillars upon hearing gunfire.

"He was a boy, and even then they killed him," she said. "I ask that they punish them. ... They left me without anything."

Sergio Belmonte, spokesman for the Ciudad Juarez mayor, said state justice officials were performing an autopsy before releasing the body to the family.

Mexico's Foreign Relations Department said it "energetically condemns" the shooting and demanded "an expeditious and transparent investigation of the facts and, if applicable, punishment of the guilty."

"Mexico is aware of the existing risks in the region, but, according to international standards, lethal force must be used only when the lives of people are in immediate danger and not as a dissuasive measure," it said.

The department said its records indicated the number of Mexicans killed or wounded by immigration authorities rose from five in 2008 to 12 in 2009 to 17 so far this year, which is not half over.

T.J. Bonner, president of the union representing Border Patrol agents, said rock throwing aimed at Border Patrol agents are common and capable of causing serious injury.

"It is a deadly force encounter, one that justifies the use of deadly force," Bonner said.

The violence in Mexico combined with assaults on Border Patrol agents in the U.S. has increased the level of apprehension agents have about their safety, Bonner said.

Less than two weeks ago, Mexican migrant Anastacio Hernandez, 32, died after a Customs and Border Protection officer shocked him with a stun gun at the San Ysidro border crossing that separates San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico.

Last week the San Diego medical examiner's office ruled that death a homicide.

*******Warning***Pictures are graphic--

http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/commph ... boy.html#4

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... z0qJqFPBuE
    "Where is our democracy if the federal government can break the laws written and enacted by our congress on behalf of the people?"

"The shooting, which happened Monday evening beneath a railroad bridge linking the two nations, drew sharp criticism from Mexico, where the government said Tuesday that "the use of firearms to repel attacks with stones represents disproportionate use of force, particularly coming from authorities who have received specialized training."

Here we go. The illegals throw rocks like Palestinians. Rocks can kill. So the BP is supposed to put their weapons down and return fire with other rocks so it can be equal? Now the media will make USBP to look like Israelis and honestly with the bias in the media I have no idea what is true in THAT situation anymore. Suffice to say that the border patrol has had to home-make shields for the vehicles for years - just like our soldiers in Iraq that did not have proper equipment for the job.

And this other one? With a stun gun killing being labeled a homicide? Obviously there is a lot missing except for the fact that attempts at reasonable force for self-defense and to control a situation is now being mis-labeled horribly. All it takes is one rock to the head and you can be dead - just like with one properly placed bullet.

So now we will have death by a thousand cuts by our own media idiots who are not rational or fair or unbiased?
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!

screw Mexico and Calderone. What he should be saying to his people is this is what can happen to you when you throw rocks at BP that can either hurt them seriously or even cause death if hit in the head. The shot of lead in the eye is justified. Let that be a message to the rest of the rock throwers.

Taser death, it happens...even in the US....in all US cases it was attributed to a condition known as excited delerium from a person being under the influence of narcotics and the stress that is on their heart from resisting arrest. It is well documented to even occur in non-taser use when a person is resisting violently being arrested and handcuffed.

I will wager strong dollars that when the toxicology report comes out it will show this person was under the influence of narcotics and that his heart was already stressed.
    "Where is our democracy if the federal government can break the laws written and enacted by our congress on behalf of the people?"

no way to verify this but a friend of mine in el paso says the news is now saying the kid isnt 14, hes 19

I think he got what he deserved, not one cell of my body has any sympathy for the mother, but I do feel bad for the agent that shot this boy? Last I saw a boy can kill with a rock, and I would much rather the mexican ILLEGAL(migrant lol) be shot dead than the border guard hit with a stone. It is unreal what is allowed to happen between that dump mexico and the USA, no it is criminal and treason es

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    no way to verify this but a friend of mine in el paso says the news is now saying the kid isnt 14, hes 19
    It depends on what ID they are using...if they use his Matricular Consulate ID then it probably isn't accurate...if they are using a different Mexican ID...then it probably isn't accurate....if they are using a Mexican birth certificate...then it probably is very accurate....Mexico does not have a clue becuase their identity systems are so whacked that the info they use is what some family member tells them....14 or 19...don't matter to me...he got what he deserved and like the other poster stated...I do not have one bit of sympathy for him...not even emphathy....as far as I am concered...one less potential illegal to worry about coming into our country....I say nice eye shot to the agent...don't forget to clean your weapon now so its ready to be used again....dude got a .40 Cal Hydroshock right smack in the eye....Good Job!!!

I don't want to gloat over anyone's death. Too bad he didn't have a good X-Box Live to play and keep him out of trouble. Too bad there are no jobs on either side of the border for these kids - mine either - so it is clear that the sister said all he did was that he went to play and obviously to play is to throw rocks at USBP officers. That is good fun. Yes, see if you can kill with a rock for fun. It would be animal abuse if he killed an animal with a rock and some PETA types caught him at it but to kill an adult human is acceptable play - and not abuse or wrong in any way? And the mother wants restitution? Is she the one who taught him that it is OK to throw rocks at US citizens? I believe it because the illegals in my neighborhood think even at 3 years old that it is OK to throw rocks at citizens, at the animals of citizens, at the property of citizens - and their parents do not think that perhaps it is inappropriate for their children to have fun at the expense of people, animals and property. They do not stop them and they take offense if you complain to them about the behavior of their children.

Sooooooo . . . . obviously it is clear that we need a fence. Projectiles can still go over the fence but it is much more difficult to aim.

So the undetermined object picked up by the Mexican law officers must be the shell casing found by the body? They are not supposed to cross the line but they did so to create an international incident because the shell casing by the young man's body insinuates that the BP agent crossed the line illegally to shoot him? This agent is now on administrative leave for an indefinite period of time? This means no pay to support his family and they are probably living paycheck to paycheck anyway? Who wants the damn job? Nobody in my family wants it. I would not advise my son to take such a job.

See Related-
    Official FBI Press Release, El Paso Office
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-202228.html

See Duplicate-
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-202239.html

And I and many of my friends are angered over the violence brought to this country by illegal Mexicans. If the Mexican government wants to keep score, let's talk about Border Patrol Agent Robert Rosas, killed by an illegal, shot in the head and body. Let's talk about Agent Luis Aguilar, run over and killed by a drug smuggler from Mexico. Let's talk about Kenosha Wisconsin Deputy Frank Fabiano, Jr., dead of a gunshot wound to the head by Ezeiquel Lopez-Quintero, an illegal alien.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast