Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Animosity Over Immigration Grows in the U.S.

Sorry the polling data looks odd but if it helps please click on the source link.
    ~~

Angus Reid Global Monitor : Polls & Research
    Animosity Over Immigration Grows in the U.S.
    December 31, 2007
    (Angus Reid Global Monitor) - As the year ends, more people in the United States have a negative opinion of immigration, according to a poll by Hart/McInturff released by the Wall Street Journal and NBC News. 52 per cent of respondents think immigration hurts the U.S. more than it helps it, up eight points since June.

In March 2006, the Pew Hispanic Center calculated the number of undocumented immigrants in the U.S. at somewhere between 11.5 million to 12 million.

In May 2006, U.S. president George W. Bush addressed the nation to discuss his immigration proposals. Bush outlined five clear objectives: securing the borders, creating a temporary worker program, holding employers to account for the workers they hire, allowing illegal immigrants "who have roots" in the country to apply for citizenship, and helping newcomers assimilate into American society.

Earlier this year, the U.S. Senate discussed and rejected a revised immigration bill, which would have allowed illegal immigrants to come forward and obtain a "Z visa." After paying fees, a $5,000 U.S. fine and then returning to their home countries, they could apply for permanent residency, which could be granted in eight to 13 years. The bill also included a proposal to introduce a points system that would prioritize access to the U.S. for skilled and educated immigrants, as well as new family-reunification guidelines.

Earlier this month, Iowa Republican Party chairman Ray Hoffman said immigration would be a major issue ahead of next year’s U.S. presidential election, saying, "People are worried about not just illegal immigrants that can come over from Mexico, they just can come over from all over the world. I think this is their fear of the safety of our country. (...) The immigration issue, just like security, is right at the top of the list."

Polling Data

On the issue of immigration... Would you say that immigration helps the United States more than it hurts it, or immigration hurts the United States more than it helps it?

Dec. 2007
    Jun. 2007
    Jul. 2006

Helps more than it hurts
    39%
    46%
    45%

Hurts more than it helps
    52%
    44%
    42%

Not sure
    9%
    10%
    13%

Source: Hart/McInturff / The Wall Street Journal / NBC News
    Methodology: Telephone interviews with 1,008 American adults, conducted from Dec. 14 to Dec. 17, 2007. Margin of error is 3.1 per cent.

www.angus-reid.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    People are beginning to wake from their slumber.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Yes, I think you're on to it MW.

And, all the more surprising, is that this poll was published in the WSJ - the mouthpiece for the OBL.

I am convinced, that as the average American gains knowledge about the subject, more and more will side with us. So far, as the issue has gained exposure and matured, the concern and outrage has grown proportionately.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Living where I do I've been aware of the problem for decades but the waving of Mexican flags during the marches of May 1, 2006 was my big wake up call. No traffic during that day helped too.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Yeah, I know what you mean Jean. I not as close to ground zero, but I see and hear enough of all of it - and 5/1/2006 was my 'wake up call' too.

I'm here, I'm tuned in, and I'm not going away until the problem is solved.
    If that means my US Rep and Senators get the pleasure of hearing my displeasure once a day or several times a week..., well, too bad.

Also:
    Source: Hart/McInturff / The Wall Street Journal / NBC News
    Methodology: Telephone interviews with 1,008 American adults, conducted from Dec. 14 to Dec. 17, 2007. Margin of error is 3.1 per cent.
    2 points:

1. How do they know the respondents were Americans???

2. If Est. Pop. of IAs in US is 12 million (I know, I know - ) AND Current Pop. of US is 303 million (yep, we've officially grown 3 million people in just one year...) then... the proportion of the US Pop that is Illegal is approx 3.9%

And, noting from the above comments about margin of error of the poll..
    (eg. 3.1% - so what they are saying, is that the margin of error is estimated to be less than the percentage of IAs that live here.... huh? - think about it...)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I do hope those polls are right, though iam sure they are as the Zogby has been on the mark with his polling on this issue and it has been higher than the 52%.
    Man perfected by society is the best of all animals; he is the most terrible of all when he lives without law, and without justice - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Acidrain
    I do hope those polls are right, though iam sure they are as the Zogby has been on the mark with his polling on this issue and it has been higher than the 52%.
    The poll lumped together legal and illegal immigrants, that's why the numbers are skewed. If they had inserted the word "illegal" in front of immigrant, truer numbers would have resulted.

I took this poll and realized what they were doing, I chose to read it as ILLEGAL immigrants and voted accordingly.

Most legal immigrants resent illegals getting special treatment, which legals never got. I sincerely hope those legal immigrants became citizens and will be voting in 2008, I know I do.
    "

The sleeping giant is "AWAKENING"!!!!! about time
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Most legal immigrants resent illegals getting special treatment, which legals never got. I sincerely hope those legal immigrants became citizens and will be voting in 2008, I know I do.

Yeah, ive heard and been told the same thing and they are really being misrepresented and i don't know why they don't do more...
    Man perfected by society is the best of all animals; he is the most terrible of all when he lives without law, and without justice - Aristotle

legal residents DO resent illegal aliens

My parents are naturalized citizens and love this country. I have talked to many of my family members, our close friends, and others who have immigrated here from all over the world LEGALLY (i.e. Britain, Ireland, France, Ecuador, Spain, Peru, Uruguay, ARgentina, Gambia, Hungary, Poland) and ALL deeply resent the antics of the OBL and ethno-supremacist pro-illegal alien groups like La RAZA, LULAC, ICIRR, CHIRLA, MECHA, and are absolutely opposed to allowing ANY illegal alien a path to citizenship, public benefits including free K-12 education for illegal alien children and medical care, social services, driver's licenses. It is especially distasteful when the subject of in-state tuition comes up as many of these families are planning to put their American born children through college and we all know how expensive that can be....to think that illegal aliens can get admitted and even worse get discounts that aren't available to American students is outrageous.