Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Anti-illegal immigrant groups launch Mexico tourism boycott

Friday, March 20, 2009
    Anti-illegal immigrant groups launch Mexico tourism boycott
    Fliers are being distributed at border to urge trips within U.S. instead.
    BY CINDY CARCAMO
    Comments 98| Recommend 4

A coalition of anti-illegal immigrant advocates with a goal of halting American tourism to Mexico are distributing fliers along the San Ysidro border that accuse the country of being aggressive and hostile to the United States and disrespectful of its laws.

Americans United to Halt Tourism in Mexico – formed by Minutemen groups across the country and local groups such as Huntington Beach-based California Coalition for Immigration Reform – is urging Americans bound for sun and fun south of the border to instead visit the U.S. Southwest.

"Do not give your tourist dollars to Mexico!" the fliers say.

Aside from passing out the fliers along the border, some advocates say they plan to distribute them soon at college campuses in Orange County.

"With Americans going down … it would be contributing to the economy of a country that is hostile to the United States of America," said Barbara Coe, a Huntington Beach resident and leader of California Coalition for Immigration Reform. "Mexico has constantly tried to interfere with immigration policy."

However, some Mexico-U.S. relations experts and the Mexican Consul in Santa Ana say they don't believe the fliers will have much of an effect, especially on tourism. About 22 million people visit Mexico every year, experts say.

"Tourism to the border region and Mexico is a huge phenomenon,'' said UCI political science professor Louis Desipio, who specializes in immigration and U.S.-Mexico relations. "The effect of a handful of people passing out fliers" will be minimal.''

Mexican Consul Carlos RodrÃ*guez y Quezada disputes the fliers' claims that Mexico urges amnesty, is violent and is a bad neighbor.

"We've always been good friends and good neighbors," he said. "We're not demanding amnesty but immigration reform."

Still, he said he's not too worried about the fliers.

"I think people have enough sense and information to know to not pay attention to this," he said.

Coe says a few people from her group have helped in the effort, passing out fliers along the border.

The next stop, she said, will be the college campuses.

"I think it's important to be on the campuses in hopes that we can give a little dose or reality to some our kids," Coe said.

UCI spokeswoman Cathy Lawhon wouldn't comment on the content of the flier but did say campus officials respect the distribution of pamphlets on campus as long as there is no language advocating violent action.

"UC Irvine is a public university where everyone, regardless of opinion or background, enjoys the rights and protection of the First Amendment," she said.

Some say the campaign could backfire.

"I think it's really counterproductive if the idea is to have a dialogue between two countries," said Raul Hinojosa-Ojeda, a professor of Global Studies at UCLA. "I think it's extremely important we set up a renewed tone for dialogue, rather than single finger-pointing."

Contact the writer: ccarcamo@ocregister.com

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mexi ... mmigration
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

People actually have to be told not to go to Mexico? I mean the place has been a cesspool for decades. I never figured out why anyone would go there.

"I think it's really counterproductive if the idea is to have a dialogue between two countries," said Raul Hinojosa-Ojeda, a professor of Global Studies at UCLA. "I think it's extremely important we set up a renewed tone for dialogue, rather than single finger-pointing."
    Funny, but I think Mexico is not only doing single finger-pointing but they have all digits pointed at us. Our drug addicts are causing cartel turmoil in their country; our legal gun shops are contributing to the problem; our borders are not open enough; we shouldn't enforce our current laws against their illegal citizens here because that is inhumane; we shouldn't deport illegals because Mexico cannot support them anymore; Mexico needs the remittances for economic health; we should not deny unqualified truck drivers from Mexico taking their cargo anywhere they want in this country; we should happily consume their produce grown with sewer water; we should also hand them money whenever they need (like Merida) so they can solve their problems; we should send US citizens there with plenty of dollars for vacations in war-zones; we shouldn't criticize them for government corruption.
    Funny how Mexico is not guilty of anything, but all of it is our fault.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mexican Consul Carlos RodrÃ*guez y Quezada disputes the fliers' claims that Mexico urges amnesty, is violent and is a bad neighbor.

"We've always been good friends and good neighbors," he said. "We're not demanding amnesty but immigration reform."
    HA, HA, HA. Mexico prints comic books on how to sneak into America. Carlos Quezada needs to stay out of our business and worry about Mexico and their problems. ANYONE WHO GOES TO MEXICO FOR A VACATION IS FOOLISH. ?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good pts. vortex.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We're not demanding amnesty but immigration reform."
    Right, Carlos. And if you just call them "undocumented immigrants", we won't realize they are really illegal aliens.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Funny, but I think Mexico is not only doing single finger-pointing but they have all digits pointed at us. Our drug addicts are causing cartel turmoil in their country; our legal gun shops are contributing to the problem; our borders are not open enough; we shouldn't enforce our current laws against their illegal citizens here because that is inhumane; we shouldn't deport illegals because Mexico cannot support them anymore; Mexico needs the remittances for economic health; we should not deny unqualified truck drivers from Mexico taking their cargo anywhere they want in this country; we should happily consume their produce grown with sewer water; we should also hand them money whenever they need (like Merida) so they can solve their problems; we should send US citizens there with plenty of dollars for vacations in war-zones; we shouldn't criticize them for government corruption.
    Funny how Mexico is not guilty of anything, but all of it is our fault.
    Excellent job VT. Put in proper context ( as VT has so astutely done), how in the world could any sane person claim that mexico is a friend of the United States!

Mexico has absolutely no respect for the safety or sovereignty of the US! Everything that flows from the mouth of mexico is entirely self-serving!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wilma1
    People actually have to be told not to go to Mexico? I mean the place has been a cesspool for decades. I never figured out why anyone would go there.
    I went to Mexico City in 1997 and it was very nice. The entire country of Mexico isn't like border towns. The Mexican's that we see are the ones that Mexico wants to get rid of, so they don't have to take care of them. I love interior Mexico and would love to be able to visit again one day.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

"Tourism to the border region and Mexico is a huge phenomenon,'' said UCI political science professor Louis Desipio, who specializes in immigration and U.S.-Mexico relations. "The effect of a handful of people passing out fliers" will be minimal.''
    You keep thinking that, sunshine. I guess we won't be seeing mexico begging for American tourists in trade mags and the media then, no?
    "

i agree handing out fliers is very small scale and probably will not have much impact. that is why we ALL need to forward this to our personal lists and ask that they forward the message on.