Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Anti-Illegal Immigration Forum Rocks Carlsbad

www.benicianews.com

2:18 am PT, Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005
    Anti-Illegal Immigration Forum Rocks Carlsbad

By Antoinette Y.
    Citizen Journalism Contributor

CARLSBAD-The general quietude and serenity of Carlsbad, California, a conservative, upscale seaside city, was loudly interrupted on Thursday, August 11, when State Sen. Bill Morrow, R-Oceanside, hosted an anti-illegal discrimination "town meeting." By 8 p.m., approximately 350 people were seated inside the Carlsbad High School Community & Cultural Arts Center for "The Illegal Immigration Crisis" form. Outside, 250 protesters lined one side of the driveway entering the premises, 600 supporters lined the other side, and dozens of armed police officers in full riot gear, representing several cities and the San Diego Sheriff's department, stood between them. Dozens of others were stationed on corners and around the perimeter of the crowds. The scene was uncomfortably reminiscent of the civil rights protests of the sixties.

On Wednesday, conservative radio talk-show host Roger Hedgecock had urged his listeners to minimize the number of attendees with opposing views by getting to the Center early and filling the auditorium. They heard and they complied, many arriving as early as 4 p.m. for the meeting, which kicked off at 7 p.m. Because the auditorium capacity was limited, hundreds stood on the lawn to show their support. They had traveled from throughout San Diego County, and as far away as Pasadena and San Fernando Valley.

Hedgecock emceed the program. There were six speakers, including Bill Gilchrist, founder of the controversial Minuteman Project, which has fielded hundreds of volunteers, many of whom were armed, along the U.S.-Mexico border to observe and report illegal immigration activity to the Border Patrol, and Tom Tancredo, R-Colorado, a fierce advocate of greater enforcement of U. S. immigration laws and protection of America's borders. Both were rewarded with multiple cheers, rousing applause, and standing ovations. There were no opposing speakers or views were presented.

Outside, the supporters and protesters traded insults and epithets. The protesters, comprised of a diverse group that included Hispanics, African Americans, Caucasians and Muslims proclaimed "This is What America Looks Like." "2000 people died so you can eat your food tonight," said one. Others taunted "Racists go home!" and decried the Minuteman Project. One young Hispanic male, who declined to be identified, said, "It's not about anti-illegals-it's about anti-Mexicans." John, a 20-year-old from Oceanside, obviously agrees. "Al Quaeda operatives tried crossing into America via the Canadian border in 2000," he said, "but all everybody talks about is the Mexican border."

The supporters chanted such slogans as "No open borders," "Go back home," and "Speak English." Some waved flags and all joined in to sing God Bless America. "Twenty-four million illegal aliens bring disease, chaos, and social unrest into our country," said San Diego resident Fred Smith, "costing American taxpayer billions a year." A Minuteman from San Fernando Valley said that sanity on the border is a priority, "no matter what the solution." A lone man drove by in an SUV, thrust his fist out the window and shouted, "Close the border!"

The contingent of policemen from Carlsbad, Oceanside, El Cajon, La Mesa and the Sheriff Department managed to keep the peace, but there was one minor incident. A member of the Minuteman Project infiltrated the group of protesters and punched a 17-year-old Mexican male. Several young men in the crowd attacked him and knocked him to the ground. He was repeatedly kicked and beaten. He managed to escape his attackers.

The town meeting almost did not occur. John Roach, Carlsbad School Superintendent, initially cancelled the event for fears of violence and possible property damage. Morrow filed suit against the school district on the basis of a First Amendment right. Roach backed down.

Despite being outnumbered by supporters and the massive police presence, the protesters vowed to keep up the fight. "We are tired of having our community criminalized, "said Nehelia Ramos of San Diego Gente Unida Coalition Against Racial Vigilantes. "This is the beginning of a movement. We will be back and we will be bigger!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is an example of things to come. There will be more ugly scenes. We are just witnessing the beginning.

BTW, the guy in the headress looks like a terrorist. Bad move on the illegal lobby's part to have him in the lineup!

When we gonna wake up?

It's Jim Gilchrist not Bill Gilchrist. I was inside most of the time so I didn't have any interaction with the protesters but a friend took photo's of them for me with my camera and I've seen many other photo's and from this and the reports I have heard there were only 60 or so protesters outside, not 250. There were 150 police on site and another 100 waiting in the high school cafeteria if they were needed.

This is the first I have heard of a Minuteman infiltrating the protesters and punching one of them. I really doubt the accuracy of this. How did this Citizen Journalist Contributor determine that this was indeed a Minuteman? The vast majority of the Minutemen are retirees that wouldn't go out of their way to punch a 17 year old even if the kid spit right in their face. If this did occur it would be the first violent act by a Minuteman, ever.

Buy a DVD of the event and see it all for yourself. Click my signature.

Ah, I stand corrected. After reviewing the good LadyofShallot's pictures I see there were more protesters than I thought for the prayer vigil thingie that they had.