Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ANTI-ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION GROUP FILES COMPLAINT AGAINST SDPD

Anti-illegal immigration group files complaint against San Diego Police

By: SARAH WILKINS - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- A member of an anti-illegal immigration group filed a complaint with the San Diego County grand jury Thursday in response to what he described as a failure by the San Diego Police Department to adequately respond to an incident of prostitution and human trafficking in migrant camps near McGonigle Canyon, an area where hundreds of migrant workers were evicted last year.

However, police Capt. Boyd Long said that a recent investigation and surveillance of the rural area between Rancho Penasquitos and Carmel Valley produced no evidence of prostitution or trafficking.

The complaint, filed by Los Angeles resident John Monti of the anti-illegal immigration group Save Our State, calls for the investigation of an incident reported the afternoon of Dec. 2. Officers responding to reports of prostitutes brought into the canyon allegedly refused to investigate an area where the alleged sex workers were reportedly seen with about a dozen male migrant workers. According to the complaint, which names two police officers and two police captains as defendants, the alleged prostitutes were "obviously underage."

"These officers refused to look for the girls other than take a cursory look around the area and said it was impossible to prove prostitution," the complaint states. "They even refused to question the two men (pimps?) standing near the sex areas."

San Diego Minutemen founder Jeff Schwilk, who said he witnessed and filmed the incident, said the officers "did not even seem interested ... and said it was hard to prove prostitution unless (you see) a money exchange."

"We don't feel the Police Department handled this properly," Schwilk said, adding that his group searched the area in an effort to find the men and alleged prostitutes. The group found a backpack containing such items as toilet paper and condoms that belonged to one of the women, he said.

Monti said in an interview Thursday night that he filed the grand jury complaint because police officials he spoke to were largely unresponsive.

"I think (filing the complaint) is the most effective way," he said, adding that he had been told an internal investigation would take place. "There's not that many other avenues to be effective."

Monti arrived at McGonigle Canyon about an hour after the alleged incident began, and based the complaint on his observations, video recorded by members of the San Diego Minutemen and conversations with Minutemen members, he said.

Long, of the San Diego Police Department's northern division, said that he did not have information specific to the Dec. 2 allegations, but police conducted surveillance and undercover operations weeks after that date in response to complaints.

The area where the alleged incident took place was investigated by the department's vice unit and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency's human trafficking unit, and no evidence ---- including "telltale" signs such as ripped underwear, nylons or condom wrappers ---- was ever found indicating the crimes took place, Long said.

"We set up a survey area and found no evidence of human trafficking or prostitution," he said.

For two years, the department has had two "migrant liaison" officers who patrol the area and respond to issues there, and "never once was human trafficking (reported) going on," he said. No arrests have been made in connection to prostitution in the area, Long added.

Lauren Mack, spokeswoman for the federal immigration office in San Diego, said that sex crimes have not been reported recently in McGonigle Canyon, and a lone incident reported just over a year ago was unsubstantiated.

Investigation of alleged sex crimes includes identifying victims, including age and nationality, as well as looking for links to organized crime and tracing money traded in the crime, Mack said.

"No. 1 is finding out whether lives are in danger, if (victims) are sex slaves," Mack said.

Achieving solutions to problems in migrant communities is "not as quick as we'd like it to be, not as quick as the public would like to see," Long said, adding that residents should call police and not "take it upon themselves to remove the camps." However, law enforcement officials must "look responsibly in a logical fashion" in approaching problems, or migrants will simply move to another location, Long said.

Chuck Martin, an assistant to the coordinator of the county grand jury, said the office does not comment on complaints or investigations.

However, once a letter of complaint is received, it must be reviewed by "appropriate committees" to determine whether the case will be taken up by the jury, Martin said. The process can take up to five weeks, he added.

The county grand jury does not conduct criminal investigations or hand down indictments. It does investigate citizen complaints about government agencies in the county and look into issues grand jurors raise about local governing bodies.

The panel prepares written reports about its investigations and recommends changes for the agencies. State law requires agencies involved to file responses to the grand jury's reports, but the grand jury has no formal power to enforce its recommendations.

Contact staff writer Sarah Wilkins at (760) 761-4414 or swilkins@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03 ... 3_1_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Ray wrote on March 02, 2007 12:10 AM:"The same thing happened in Carlsbad in the strawberry fields back in the 1990's (TA story) and the police took a "who cares" response back than. why should the SDPD be any different. It's common knowledge that police agencies in the county don't want to get involved in illegal alien issues no matter how horrfic the crime. They would rather "selectively enforce" the law. Remember the oath when becoming a police officer. defend and enforce the laws of the State of California and the United States of America. something must be lost here."

Jimbaugh wrote on March 02, 2007 12:34 AM:"The Cops are serving their slave masters, making sure that the illegal immigrants have all the comforts of home. Our laws don't matter. The Cops that knew about what was going on should be put in jail for a long, long time. "

I like this approach,
    wrote on March 02, 2007 3:52 AM:"in ACLU fashion, aka: you bury your target in legal paper work. It is way past time to call on the carpet this gross oversight and purposeful negligence."

Vista Citizen wrote on March 02, 2007 6:17 AM:"It's common knowledge of the citizens that live next door to the illegal alien camp that prostitution happens in the camp. If it were American citizens living in make-shift camps and haveing sex with under age girls you can bet that the politicians and police would be all over it for political gain. "

Local Enforcement of Immigration Laws wrote on March 02, 2007 6:58 AM:"Local police departments have can enforce Federal immigration laws. An excellent law review article by Professor Kris W. Kobach is published in the Albany Law Review, volume 69, page 179, titled, 'The Quintessential Force Multiplier: The Inherent Authority of Local Police to Make Immigration Arrests'."

Dangerous Liaisons wrote on March 02, 2007 7:09 AM:"Migrant Liaison Officers? What are these? My dictionary has two definitions for 'liaison': 1) a channel of communication; or 2) an adulterous relationship/affair."

Bad Bob wrote on March 02, 2007 8:21 AM:"Anti-immigration? Hey, these folks are pro-Americans that are trying to save our way of life which is quickly disappearing. Our republican form of government is at stake! I have had the same experience calling SD County Police. Unless someone is being robbed or murdered, they hesitate even coming out. Citizens are left having to enforce the law themselves."

San marcos Taxpayer wrote on March 02, 2007 8:40 AM:"Gee! What a surprise that the police do not see a crime when illegals are involved. My son once had his car broken into and his stereo and CD's were stolen. The deputies actually caught the two guys the next day and called my son. They offered to give him back his stuff but said they would not prosecute because they were illegals and would just be kicked out of the country and would be back the next day anyway so why bother. What a message!"

fedup wrote on March 02, 2007 9:26 AM:"Now folks, we would not have these friggin ILLEGALS if we all quit hiring them! No money, no place to live, they will all leave!"

fatcat wrote on March 02, 2007 9:57 AM:"Illegals camped in the canyons won't be a problem much longer. Bank of America will issue them all credit cards, and they can charge deposits on apartments. That way, they'll have someplace off the streets to live while Wells Fargo processes their home mortgage loans. I'm starting to think I should keep my money in a piggy bank. "

American woman wrote on March 02, 2007 9:58 AM:"It should be interesting to watch for the outcome of this very much overdue and appropriate 'citizen action' against the obvious [wink-wink] approach of law enforcement to illegal alien behaviors here in our country. I have viewed the videos of evidence the cops would have found if they had simply taken the information provided by private citizens and acted upon it! Those officers at the scene were not in the least bit interested in entering the "scene of the crimes." They should have called for backup and combed the area! Youtube offers these accounts for all to see."

Born Here wrote on March 02, 2007 10:09 AM:"I agree, quit hiring and they will leave, my kids cant get hired at micky d's because of them, my wages are supressed beacuse of them, all I can afford is the cheap "storebrands" yet I see them buy "name brand" with the food stamps, and they quite often drive better cars than I have"

bvv wrote on March 02, 2007 12:12 PM:"Filing a complaint with the Grand Jury and having them accept it are two different things. I know from experience. "

To Born Here wrote on March 02, 2007 12:12 PM:" Your lazy kids don't want to work at all. Maybe they can't pass a drug test. That's the difference, you taught your kids that they should have some sort of entitlement to an easy life. And maybe if you would get a real job, you could afford the brand name products or a better car. (if you must pay for a name)"

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Tim wrote on March 02, 2007 1:56 PM:"If it turns out to be the truth, where are the "so-called Immigration Advocates"? Or don't they care about the abuse and exploitation of minors, who presumeably are illegal aliens themselves? It is truly disgusting what we tolerate in the name of cheap labor."

TexasCowgirl wrote on March 02, 2007 2:02 PM:"What confuses me is that statement that there is no real evidence of prostitution in the canyon when I saw on immigrationwatchdo a video of 15 or so young girls going into the canyon and laying down in the grass with day laborers. It wasn't a close up shot so it's possible they were playing checkers....but I'm guessing not. Also, with all these so called "human rights activists" crying and screaming bloody murder - why don't they put the illegals up in THEIR house? They can give them all the blankets, food and shelter and keep them out of the canyon if they really wanted to. Gee whiz, in 30 seconds I found a video with clips showing prostitution. GOOGLE "NBC Report On San Diego Migrant Encampments" "

Skip wrote on March 02, 2007 2:37 PM:"Just Google This, and you can watch a news report of actual videos of Suspected prostitutes in McGongigle Canyon, that was broadcast on a major San Diego News Television Station. GOOGLE " Report On San Diego Migrant Encampments ""

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?p=2229

NBC Report On San Diego Migrant Encampments

Published by The Watchdog November 10th, 2006 in Drugs, Jobs, Crime, Quality of life, Sex Crimes.

These migrant encampments are located in Northern San Diego county. I’ve made several videos on these camps.

The local authorities refuse to enforce the law. The migrants are exploited by Leslie farms, Rancho Santa Fe farms, and big construction companies in the area. They steal cars, break into homes, defecate and urinate in public, and they leave piles of garbage all over the hillside.

Prostitutes are brought in to service the workers every Wednesday and Saturday night. Many of them are very young and smuggled across the border.

All of this has been going on for twenty years and the police lie and pretend to know nothing about any of it!

The following report aired on Thursday night (11/9).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHs0sET ... 3Fp%3D2229

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:17 am
    Post subject: Carlsbad Orders Illegals to Vacate

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=32035