Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AP Claims Discrimination Against Mexicans in Illinois, Offer

Comments are being left after this article at the source link.
    ~~
    AP Claims Discrimination Against Mexicans in Illinois, Offers NO Proof
    By Warner Todd Huston | November 28, 2007 - 03:40 ET
    According to the Associated Press, folks who are "foreign-born" are "newcomers" who "feel anything but welcome" in the Chicago suburb of Waukegan, Illinois. The AP piece leads the reader to imagine that several of the town's laws have been specifically written to chase out Mexicans and that the immigrant community (legal or otherwise) in Waukegan is feeling pressure to get out. Yet, upon close examination of this AP piece, one cannot help but realize that the AP does not offer any statistics to prove that Mexican residents are leaving in any numbers, they don't cite any rise in arrests of Spanish speakers there to indicate possible harassment, nor do they even quote anyone to "prove" their contention but one Yolanda Torrez, a lawyer who specializes in criminal, DUI traffic violations, Social Security and DWL traffic violations cases for Spanish-speaking clients. In the final analysis, the AP offers no proof whatsoever that "foreign-born" residents are afraid or truly being discriminated against at all. They just state it as a fact using a single, biased person's words to assert it.

Story Continues Below Ad ↓
    After a description of the "sailboats" that gently float in nearby Lake Michigan, and other panoramic language the AP piece goes on to describes how "Mexican groceries" and other ethnic businesses have grown in the suburban town. And then the AP begins the scare-mongering with a grave, "despite their numbers, the newcomers feel anything but welcome."

AP continues that grave tone with some claims that they make no real attempt to buttress with proof.

"Coexistence has been uneasy at best ever since Waukegan officials applied last summer for a program that would train two local police officers to enforce federal immigration law. The proposal prompted a massive downtown demonstration by immigrant rights' groups and a boycott of businesses that didn't post signs opposing the application."

And what is the basis of this claim of "uneasy" feelings?

"'You have thousands of people who are hardworking, who came and invested in this city. They're being chased away,' said Yolanda Torrez, an attorney born in Waukegan whose practice handles criminal, traffic and real estate cases.

She said Latino residents are understandably skeptical. A decade ago, the city settled a lawsuit with the Justice Department over a housing code that federal authorities alleged was aimed at Hispanic families. And, she said, Hispanic residents now feel targeted by a city ordinance that allows vehicles to be seized and a $500 penalty imposed if the driver lacks insurance or a license."

If that isn't "proof" enough, AP allows Torrez to assure us that, "she's heard of Latinos who have broken their leases and moved away, and of stores that cater to immigrants that have seen sales slip."

And that was the beginning and end of the "proof" in this AP piece. Well, gosh, AP, if our unbiased friend, Torrez, who makes her living off of lawbreakers from the lowest rung of society says that all Waukegan's Mexicans are feeling oppressed... well, it must be true!

For one thing, and not that the AP reports this, but Alderman Larry TenPas is reported as having told a community group, "We had some activists there that stirred people up. They went around to all the stores; put signs in the stores, 'Don't shop here.' And it backfired. The sales tax still went up. It was a bad move." So, the AP's claim that businesses have lost business seems untenable.

Then the AP report goes on to attack various laws and ordinances that are purportedly anti-immigrant in the eyes of people like Torrez.

She said Latino residents are understandably skeptical. A decade ago, the city settled a lawsuit with the Justice Department over a housing code that federal authorities alleged was aimed at Hispanic families. And, she said, Hispanic residents now feel targeted by a city ordinance that allows vehicles to be seized and a $500 penalty imposed if the driver lacks insurance or a license.

The federal immigration enforcement program was created in 1996, but the first agency didn't join until 2001. Now, about 28 municipal, county or state law enforcement agencies currently take part, and the Department of Homeland Security has applications pending from approximately 75 more.

And the article discusses the ICE immigration training claiming that it is a reason that Waukegan's residents are feeling persecuted. Not surprisingly, there is one other statistic that the AP doesn't seem to want to highlight. According to Doug Heaton of the Assoc. for Legal Americans, "Based on the foreign-born population in Waukegan and research by Pew Hispanic Center, one out of 10 people in Waukegan is an illegal alien. Doing nothing is not an option." So, Waukegan has a reason to want to assist Federal authorities in getting rid of criminals who also happen to be illegal aliens.

Buried at the tail end of the story is the words of Waukegan city officials who say they never intended to use the immigration training to make immigration raids.

"Waukegan Mayor Richard Hyde and Biang have pledged that the city's new authority won't be used for immigration raids, and that illegal immigrants stopped by police for minor infractions, such as not wearing a seat belt or a broken tail light, won't get caught up in the measure.

Instead, they say they want to ensure that immigrants convicted of felonies -- such as rape, murder, drug and gang crimes -- are on the deportation path as soon as possible.

'I don't think even people here illegally, just getting by, doing their jobs, are going to object to that,' Biang said. 'It's their kids who are going to be the victims of drug dealers and drive-by shootings, along with everybody else's children.'"

In any case, the AP makes a lot of serious claims of racism against the city of Waukegan and makes no attempt at all to prove it. They simply state it as if it is all true and this is biased "reporting" at its worst.

It is, however, par for the AP's course.

http://newsbusters.org
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Is there anyone here who actually believes anything they read in newspapers?

And what is the basis of this claim of "uneasy" feelings?
    The basis of this claim is only made by illegals because they know they broke the law to get here, and are breaking laws to stay and work here as well. If they were here legally, there wouldn't be a problem of "uneasy" feelings.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenJustice
    Is there anyone here who actually believes anything they read in newspapers?
    Every AP story I read if "for" illegals or "against" the Border Patrol or the fence.

Well...I actually live in the town this article is talking about...

What utter .... it is. The alderman is completely right -it is mainly the pro-illegal activist themselves who went around riling (sp?) up the illegals. I read that they think 1 in 10 are illegals. I think that is a low ball estimate.

After a description of the "sailboats" that gently float in nearby Lake Michigan, and other panoramic language the AP piece goes on to describes how "Mexican groceries" and other ethnic businesses have grown in the suburban town. And then the AP begins the scare-mongering with a grave, "despite their numbers, the newcomers feel anything but welcome." [quote:25fwq7a5]

Okay, here is one of the lovely businesses...

There are many many of these around town. She could have quoted how many homes are for sale versus last year this time.

[/quote:25fwq7a5]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

And, she said, Hispanic residents now feel targeted by a city ordinance that allows vehicles to be seized and a $500 penalty imposed if the driver lacks insurance or a license

So do they just stop hispanics to check for these documents - do they just impound hispanic cars? Is this law enforced across the board?

Or is she admitting that it is mainly hispanics that ignore our traffic laws?

fedup Is there actually evidence of illegals leaving? I mean are there changes you can actually see?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We've had the towing ordinance for quite awhile. The city was recently sued for it and it was stopped. And then unexpectedly the judge reversed the decision and the city was back in business. Here is a sob story that recently appeared in La Raza about towing.

2007, La Raza Chicago, Inc.
    Published 11-08-2007

"Sad and regrettable"

Excandidato the Bureau County Lake "depicts" the way of the cross of a Mexican family who was stripped of his vehicle by the police in front of her children. Proposes leaders seek or leave the city.

Drafting La Raza

Since the ordinance applies to the confiscation of cars in Waukegan, better known as "fine of 500 dollars," hundreds of people have been arrested for driving without a license or auto insurance, among other crimes.

The punishment: a fine of 500 dollars, 175 dollars for the drag of the car with a crane, plus payment for the days that the car remains impounded.

The costs must be mentioned include the appointment to the Court and respond before a judge on charges of which they accuse the driver, and the fine they will creditor.

From Parra, an American citizen born in the Mexican state of Jalisco, witnessed and shared with La Raza an experience to which he described as "very sad and regrettable".

It so happens that he witnessed how a Mexican family was forced by a police officer to lower purchasing newly made his truck, which was being confiscated in front of his home for not having the vehicle papers were in order. The event took place on Sunday, November 4 in the afternoon.

The family, whose identity is not revealed Democrat from Parra, was, according to the political, "devastated and saddened by the arrest of a parent and

The seizure of the truck. "

"I saw the mom things down and the lady was speaking at the same time with the police, there were two children aged between 5 and 7 years and the husband was already top of the patrol," described Parra, who does not live in Waukegan and by chance she had to see this.

What is the message

According to the excandidato a member of the board of Lake County for the District 15, noted that the facts as they are "a message of injustice, sadness, and a message that tells us the feeling that the city towards a minority class," said.

Given the fact, Del Parra parked his car and took three pictures with your phone, then handed her a business card to the lady to assist in this problem.

"I have the photos when the crane arrived and the van to half of the platform, and made me very sad to see the mom crying and dropping bags of food to one side, I stopped to carry them home, but not it was necessary since they were out of it and the neighbors began to help him, "narró Parra.

The excandidato appeal to Mayor Richard Hyde to retake that promise made at the Holy Family Church, where he committed himself to the public not to deport parents for driving without a license or insurance.

Parra proposed that to change this situation, we must urge the citizens of Hispanic descent to be nominated, and support

Vote.

"And if not, then look for leaders. The other option is to leave Waukegan and that leaving as many as they did and was desolate, and move to other communities where they do not pass this and that are more friendly towards minorities, "said disgruntled.

From Parra is currently director of the Resource Center for the Family School District 76 in the cities of Libertyville, Mundelein and Vernon Hills, communities located at 20 and 30 minutes west of Waukegan.

In the last elections sought the chair of the district 15 County Lake, and lost to obtain 37% of the votes before a rival that with 20 years in the post. Entusiasmado with the support he had in his modest campaign, Parra announced plan to re-run in 2008. © La Raza

pictures
    http://www.laraza.com/news.php?nid=48680

nntrixie, I haven't been able to find any hard facts as too who is moving from Waukegan. I've heard stories, lots of whining, lots of for sale signs, I heard one middle school had 60 less students register for this year, I heard two schools had classes with low enrollment.

Here is a La Raza article from a guy complaining that his real estate business is down because of the 287g application.

Want Hispanic mayor

The first Hispanic candidate for the presidency of municipal Waukegan accused of divisiveness to Latinos, which in his view know seize Anglo politicians in this city.

La Raza

Abraham Figueroa has been spent over the past three years to sell houses for a company 100% local.

Like the rest of the citizens and merchants, Figueroa said that sales are no longer as before, and blames immigration raids and strict fines in the city by the fall in economic activity.

Concerned about this, Abraham Figueroa struck proclaimed "candidate" for mayor in 2008 during a meeting of traders held last week.

While nobody suggested, nor repents of his early precandidatura independent. "Because slowly realizing people will call me and starts to learn a bit more," said Figueroa, one week after making the announcement.

"It's a preliminary decision that I have taken, and I need to see the comundiad is interested to know whether we have strength in Waukegan," said real estate expert.

Figueroa is originally from Tonatico, Mexico, and a majority of the people who reside there was born in Waukegan, where they have formed the largest immigrant community among the 90,000 inhabitants which has the city.

Figueroa reached USA 23 years ago, before selling houses and worked in a company as technical quality.

For three years beginning in the real estate business, where it has been released gradually.

"If I see that there is not enough interest by the people I will not expose and shame to happen," anticipated the interviewee.

Without mentioning names, he stressed that there are up to 10 in Waukegan Hispanic organizations, but divided and therefore their work will be the Bush Administration for this political project.

"Everyone is working on their side, and the Anglo-Saxon community, we can win easily. This is the message given by us, we are all divided, "Figueroa strikes.

Pre explained that seek a dialogue and to gather local Hispanic community activists, while admitting that there is interest, "but it is one thing to say it and another are the facts," he said.

Figueroa knows in advance that he expects a very difficult path and no guarantees to anyone who is the candidate; The decision will make available in late January or early February for the elections in November 2008.

"I do not want to do mezclarme with any party, I want to be independent," predicted political candidate.

Figueroa said that does not want to register with a party to avoid compete in a primary election, and avoided discussing their political reasons.

The date for the next meeting of traders Figueroa still unknown, but expected that it would be four more weeks in which continue talking about their plans.

It should be noted that the meetings have convened more than 50 local businessmen have been chaired by Porfirio Garcia, owner of the company where he works Abraham Figueroa.

In this regard, the mayoral candidate clarifies and distance of anyone who wants to connect with a group or person: "I just took my decision to run. I want to see the nterés of people who want to work, "he said.

Far yet of a possible political campaign, Figueroa refuses to make statements and promises of aid, as they said that is not the way we work.

However, what it does reflect is that he would like to eliminate the large fine of $ 500 for driving without a license and without insurance, and in return the city to issue such licenses and to be recognized by other neighboring towns.

"I have a notion that my campaign promises and would not have done the work plan," said Abraham.

The seller of homes that aspires to become a politician, before selling of 4-6 homes per month, but now can only sell to 1-2, "and sometimes none."

Figueroa has realized what is happening in the city, and as a seller of real estate ensures that the Latino people are leaving their homes and Waukegan.

"Just leave the city or country and stop paying until the bank calls," says the candidate also wanted to "escape".

"I also wanted to leave Waukegan and seek other horizons. But there is also good flee and leave so many people who need help, "he said.

In Waukegan there is a fine case to seize people without a license or insurance, (mostly undocumented), and July 16 town council approved the request Immigration (ICE) training to detain undocumented.

As additional information to this interview, at least three lawsuits have been won by citizens against alleged abuses of the city, including Alejandro Dominguez who must receive $ 9 million.

"If we put our grain of sand, and if we do things with love we can have a much better Waukegan," says Figueroa.

Another case still pending is the death of Roberto Gonzalez, who died when he was detained by police in January 2007.

Following the accusations, and dissemination in the media, Mayor Richard Hyde went twice to give explanations to the Sagrada Familia church.

Without greater results only informed of the establishment of "committees" that has not yielded reports.

"If the city made the difference people would be very grateful. In fact there are people who say they like Waukegan, but have as a penalty for being persecuted, and most of all they want a chance, "said Abraham.

"Now we see changes, businesses are no longer as before, have less income. Some businesses have begun to close, "the first Latino candidate. © La Raza

I would feel "uneasy" too if I was living in a foreign country with stolen ID and a fraudulent drivers license.

I'm so tired of this biased journalism that is passed off as news.

Yes, it is biased, isn't it?

Did you notice they intend to get involved in politics - that is going to happen more than we realize and I am afraid by the next general election, many illegals will either have the vote legally, or be registered to vote - and with electronic voting machines - we will be up the creek.

This is possibly the last election in this country where the US citizen actually has a voice -= unless we use that voice - use it loud - and use it united. We got to quit squabbling and when the time comes, agree on a candidate and stick with him - don't know of any hers.

Remember there is a town in Texas where the official language is Spanish . This can happen all over the country where people have settled in great numbers and have not assimilated. It doesn't take a lot of voters to vote in two Senators - or one senator from 2 states - and a few scattered representatives. These people can have a lot of power.

I don't think these people will assimilate, but there is a possibility they will vote together to take political control.

Make no mistake this is not about human rights - or anything nearly that altruistic. It is about taking over the country.