Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Arab Immigration forum reviews new legislation

http://www.arabamericannews.com/newsart ... cleid=5104

Immigration forum reviews new legislation

By Aatif Ali Bokhari -- The Arab American News:

DEARBORN - The Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS) held a town hall meeting this week to discuss the implications of new legislation proposing to make a felon anyone without proper residency papers.

The House of Representatives passed legislation late last year that made illegal immigrants subject to felony prosecutions. In the face of protests drawing over 20 million participants from across the country, new Senate legislation was proposed to make the bill broader and offer illegals a way to become citizens. But the Senate moves were confounded by several conservative Republicans who asserted that the new legislation encouraged criminal activity. Congress ended up recessing for two weeks with the issue still up in the air. But activists fear other bills will contain hidden immigration provisions.

The meeting began at 6 p.m. on the second floor of the ACCESS Community Health and Research Center in Dearborn. Around 60 attendees were there, representing a wide range of organizations and interests.

"The [American Civil Liberties Union] is very concerned with due process for immigrants and what we can do to achieve change," said Mary Bejian, a field organizer for the civil rights organization.

"It's important we take part in dialogue. I'm here to share ideas and find out what effects the law can have," said Bradley Maze, a legal coordinator at Detroit's Freedom House (FH) chapter. FH's website said it seeks "to address the needs of the homeless and/ or indigent refugees seeking asylum in either the U.S. or Canada."

"There's a lot of propaganda about the [immigration] issue, so it can be unclear," said Philip Elias, an ACCESS board member, explaining the need for the meeting.

"I want [the meeting] to increase awareness among the Arab American community that [the proposed immigration legislation] doesn't just affect Latinos, but directly affects the Arab and Muslim community," added Rashida Tlaib, organizer for the event.

Noel Saleh, ACCESS president, said "this [meeting] is our attempt to kick this [immigration] dialogue off," said Saleh. "There is legislation that is being passed right now that will directly affect us, it will define who we are as a nation."

"They segregate us. It is an issue of race, not of documentation," said Metropolitan Organizing Strategy Enabling Strength (MOSES) organizer Juan Apolinar Escareño. MOSES is a congregation-centered, faith-based, umbrella community organization reflecting the religious, racial and ethnic diversity of Metropolitan Detroit.

Sayed Hassan Qazwini, imam of the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, said, "before I came to speak, my friends were educating me about the importance of this event…unfortunately these laws are being passed in a very hostile environment to Arabs and Muslims. If you read the comments being made about [the email] on the Detroit Free Press [web site], most of them are in support of him," Qazwini said, referring to an Islamophobic email recently sent by a Michigan State professor to the Muslim Students Association there. "We need to be active, not passive, in securing our rights in this country," he noted.

"Ten percent of the people in this world live in a country other than the one they were born in. While this may not seem like much, it is the highest in human history," said Ishmael Ahmed, ACCESS Executive Director, speaking next. Ahmed said that that number is certain to become even higher in the future.

Immigration hits home with Ahmed. He mentioned how his father went undocumented. "He was a peddler, he literally walked off the boat and nobody asked him anything because he was too young," Ahmed explained

Ahmed noted that while laws are important, the current immigration system is "broken," adding "everyone is seeking a solution, which is a good thing." But he said that walls do not work, calling attention to the 700 mile military fence currently proposed for the southern border. "We've these walls before…in Palestine and in Germany. Walls do not work, policies work," he stated.

"Right here in Detroit there were 50,000 protesters, there were some people from ACCESS, but where were we [from the Arab American community]? There are some issues in life that will pass us by if we don't act," said Ahmed.

"We're going to talk about next steps…we really want to move out there and do something concrete," said Salhab, then calling Tlaib to the podium.

"One of the things you need to keep in mind [about the proposed legislation] is that the issues are being debated in a post 9-11 environment, and we know what that means," said Tlaib.

Tlaib quoted a law professor as saying that "because of the language used [in the legislation], it is implied [lawmakers] are going after Arabs and Muslims."

Just what does the legislation say? In a paper handed out to everyone present, the "hidden proposals," were passed December, 2005 in a House immigration bill called Border Protection, Anti-Terrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act (HR 4437). They were noted to "strike at our core fundamental values and rights."

The proposals include the increasing use of secret evidence; increased racial profiling; sentencing of immigrants who could not be deported to life in prison; not checking on factual errors made by the Department of Homeland Security; turning minor offenses into grounds for deportation and prosecution; making undocumented or out of status immigrants felons; and criminalizing humanitarian assistance to undocumented or out of status immigrants and their children.

Tlaib noted that many of the proposals were excessive. For example, the Department of Homeland Security would be permitted to label a person as a flight risk based on the number of times they failed to change their address. Miss filing your new address twice and you could be barred from immigration proceedings, said Tlaib.

One reason why many priests, pastors, and ministers participated in the protests is because the new legislation would directly criminalize them for helping undocumented or out of status immigrants. "If they don't ask about the [status of] immigrants coming to them, they can be branded 'alien-helping organizations'," noted Tlaib.

At this point, the town hall meeting was opened for questions and comments. One man who identified himself as a member of St. Anne's Parish and MOSES asked "what's on the floor now [in DC]?"

"The Senate is back this week, but they are going to address a spending bill. But a lot of organizations are afraid they will put the [immigration] provisions in [it]. That's how [lawmakers] have passed many provisions before," answered Tlaib.

"Usually I disagree with the President [of the United States] on everything, but for political expediency, he is raising the idea of a path to citizenship…it is a sign that even the presidency is beginning to crack if we can keep up pressure at the grass roots level," added Ahmed.

"How are we moving beyond [saying] 'no,' to having an agenda," asked Magistrate Judge Sam Salamey. "We've been communicating with our senators and we are working to reverse some of the provisions," Tlaib answered.

One question was raised about the possible repercussions of Arab Americans joining the immigration debate. The questioner noted that the Latino community is making progress in the debate by itself and that the Arab American community could draw negative attention.

Escareño wasn't buying it. He said that different communities need to get involved because "only then will we be able to change the hearts and minds of the American people…right now that they see this as a Mexican issue is hurting us more," he said. He later added "There's a myth that [every] immigrant is a potential terrorist…so people need to hear the story of the Arab American community."

One attorney then stood up and said the same lawmakers who pen legislation unpopular with Arabs and Muslims here and overseas, are writing the current immigration policies. "I request we look at this from an international perspective and see how this ties into the Palestinian and Iraqi community's resistance to occupation," she said, bringing murmurs from the crowd.

Saleh said that the Arab American community needs to be involved with the broader community, "because it expands our influence."

An American of East Asian origin came to the front of the room and said "we are forever treated as immigrants, [but] except for the Native Americans, we are all a nation of immigrants."

The meeting then concluded but plenty of excited attendees stuck around to talk about what they had just experienced. Tlaib certainly seemed pleased.

"I didn't realize [the meeting] enlightened people, I don't think they knew [about the legislation and hidden proposals]…many immigrant rights organizations across the country will not settle for a bill that has these due process questions [as mentioned on the handout]…the problem is that these are hidden barriers to immigration," said Tlaib.

A public meeting with elected officials to address the civil rights of immigrants will be held at Saint Anne Catholic Church, located at 1000 St. Anne Street in Detroit, June 4 between 1:30 and 3:30 pm. Billed as "Equality and Justice for Immigrants," the meeting will cover racial profiling, comprehensive immigration reform, access to education for children of immigrants and worker rights. Call Juan Apolinar Escareño at MOSES for more information: 313.962.5290 x20.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

why is it that everybody gets an opinion but the one's who's opinion counts? The Mexicans claim we're going after them, the Arab's claim we're going after them --- if they are here ILLEGALLY then they are a target

as an American citizen, I would NOT illegally enter a country where I thought I would be discriminated against and I certainly wouldn't demand rights once I got there.

if they don't like it here they can leave the same way they came
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie
    why is it that everybody gets an opinion but the one's who's opinion counts? The Mexicans claim we're going after them, the Arab's claim we're going after them --- if they are here ILLEGALLY then they are a target

as an American citizen, I would NOT illegally enter a country where I thought I would be discriminated against and I certainly wouldn't demand rights once I got there.

if they don't like it here they can leave the same way they came
    All of a sudden, everyone is trying to get in on AMNESTY that hasnt even been approved. If I were a senator deciding which way to go, I would choose NO AMNESTY. The illegal foreigners are DEMANDING AMNESTY AND ALL THE RIGHTS THAT AMERICANS HAVE. Is this the most stupid thing you have ever heard?? They are all hispanic, asian, jewish, muslims and irish people. What the hell are they thinking?!?!?!?!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm still trying to figure out what the federal government has to do with port security in the individual states and exactly who gave them permission to enter the Dubai deal. What does this have to do with regulating commerce?

stupid me put "federal court" instead of federal government
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

GET ALL THESE PEOPLE OUT!!

O U T!!

I can't stand to listen to one more of these our system is "broken" yelps. Yep...it sure is and you assholes "broke it" when you "broke" the laws that comprise it.

NO AMNESTY not now not ever.

NO CITIZENSHIP not now not ever.

NO GUEST WORKER PROGRAM not now not ever.

Get them all out with their anchor babies in their buggy and stay out. Their anchor babies can come back if we haven't changed the US Constitution by then or passed a law prohibiting their re-entry when they are 21; no criminal record; and have a job waiting. No exceptions.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn