Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arcadia Mayor Backs Off Proposal - WISCONSIN

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/dulut ... 529375.htm

Arcadia mayor backs off proposal to curb illegal immigration

Associated Press

ARCADIA, Wis. - A mayor's controversial proposal to curb illegal immigration will not be pursued, the city's mayor and Common Council said Friday.

Arcadia Mayor John Kimmel had created a furor in town and drew widespread media attention last month when he outlined some proposals to crack down on illegal immigration.

He wanted to establish an "illegal alien task force" to forward complaints to federal authorities, hold property owners accountable for renting to or allowing someone to live in the city illegally, make English the official language and regulate the flying of foreign flags.

The Hispanic population in this western Wisconsin town of 2,400 has increased in recent years to about 200 or 300 because of the plentiful jobs at Ashley Furniture Industries and Gold n Plump chicken, both in Arcadia. His proposals were criticized by some in town and elsewhere as being racist.

In a statement, City Attorney Terry Madden noted that the City of Hazelton, PA. has enacted similar ordinances and that they are being sued in federal court.

"It is our opinion, in looking at precedent, that if the mayor's proposals are enacted, the City of Arcadia will be involved in litigation," he said.

In a statement, Kimmel said the recent media attention has surprised and humbled him.

"I regret that my remarks have caused any anger or tension, both in my community and elsewhere," he said.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

must be a town that uses the 'weak mayor' format. Grow some cohones mayor and stop Ashley and Gold n Plump from ruining your city!