Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Border agent pleads guilty to hiding his illegal alien dad

Border agent pleads guilty to hiding his dad

By Greg Moran, Reporter - Federal courts & legal affairs
    Friday, July 15, 2011 at 5:23 p.m.

SAN DIEGO — A U.S. Border Patrol agent pleaded guilty Friday to hiding an illegal immigrant — his father— in his south San Diego home, which had a hidden, underground room beneath the backyard patio.

Marcos Manzano Jr. entered the plea during a brief court hearing in front of U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Miller. The 26-year-old was hired by the Border Patrol in August 2007 and has been on indefinite suspension without pay since his arrest in January.

The agent’s father, Marcos Manzano Sr., is also in custody on charges of illegally re-entering the United States after being previously deported and possession of methamphetamine. He is set for a status hearing before Miller on July 21.

The charge that the younger Manzano admitted to carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, but he is likely to receive far less than that at his sentencing. Miller set that hearing for Dec. 12.

Agents with the Border Corruption Task Force arrested Manzano as he reported to work at the Imperial Beach Border Patrol station on Jan. 10. His father, who had been deported in 2008, had been living at his son’s modest house on Shooting Star Drive for about a year, authorities said.

After arresting the son, teams of federal agents swarmed the home on the quiet street and spent most of the day there. While at the house, agents discovered the small underground room, accessed by removing a concrete slab from the patio.

Inside the room, they found a second illegal immigrant hiding behind a small table. A small amount of methamphetamine that belonged to the father was also found. The senior Manzano was not at home and remained at large for several weeks before surrendering to authorities in late January.

Federal agents first spotted the elder Manzano living at the Shooting Star Drive home in September 2009. Ownership of the home was in the younger Manzano’s name. While employed as a Border Patrol agent, he was spotted on several occasions living at the house with his father.

As part of his guilty plea, the agent will not have to forfeit the home to the government.

Manzano joined the Border Patrol during a massive hiring surge by the agency that doubled the number of agents. Critics, including the union representing agents, have said the agency took shortcuts to meet the hiring goals, lowering standards and truncating background checks.

Some have said Manzano Sr.’s criminal record was a red flag that ought to have made the Border Patrol think twice before hiring his son.

greg.moran@uniontrib.com • (619) 293-1236 • Twitter @gregmoran

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... g-his-dad/
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Manzano joined the Border Patrol during a massive hiring surge by the agency that doubled the number of agents. Critics, including the union representing agents, have said the agency took shortcuts to meet the hiring goals, lowering standards and truncating background checks.

Some have said Manzano Sr.’s criminal record was a red flag that ought to have made the Border Patrol think twice before hiring his son.
    How many more anchor babies are working for our Border Patrol who would do or have done the same thing! I do not believe this is isolated behavior! I believe it’s isolated that they actually caught one of them! This is exactly why anchor babies should be barred as Border Patrol agents!

How in the hell can we have people guarding our border having immediate family members who are illegal invaders themselves! Insanity!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno

How many more anchor babies are working for our Border Patrol who would do or have done the same thing! I do not believe this is isolated behavior! I believe it’s isolated that they actually caught one of them! This is exactly why anchor babies should be barred as Border Patrol agents!

How in the hell can we have people guarding our border having immediate family members who are illegal invaders themselves! Insanity!

Prior to the invasion the "preferential minority" question on the government hiring applications was "Are you black/African American?" I am not sure when it happened but that question has been changed to: "Are you hispanic"?

That being said, the majority of border patrol agents being trained in federal training center are hispanics, and anchor babies.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Remember it was Bush who ordered the hiring of most of the new BP's so I am guessing GW changed the minority from Black to Hispanic.

If this BP built a hidden room one could guess it was not only his father he was hiding but possibly other IA's and drug runners too.

His sentence should be the max. of 10 yrs. nothing less.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

It's like a DEA agent who's selling drugs. Undermines people's trust in the system. Completely unacceptable.

Banned
    This is oneway to cover up like a bank robber what a better way to rob a bank than to be a bank guard.Secure the border and no one will look in my back yard wont suspect me.Cops selling drugs they have all the connections they are the law enforce the law and think their above the law and smarter than ole joe the public.When they get caught the punishment ought to be harder on them than a regular drug dealer.They know the law and took an oath to enforce the laws,not to break it but some do.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost

Prior to the invasion the "preferential minority" question on the government hiring applications was "Are you black/African American?" I am not sure when it happened but that question has been changed to: "Are you hispanic"?

This is 100% correct WMM! But it's not only government / state applications; it's ALL applications, including the private sector. The first question on the "voluntary" ethnicity questionnaire (only used for tracking purposes, and not "hiring decisions" of course ) always asks, "are you hispanic or latino?" They don’t ask what race/ethnicity you are, it’s always are you hispanic or lation first!

If not, then it lets you go on to list your race or ethnicity. But even then, they cannot get away from their beloved hispanics, because the choices are usually listed as: white / not hispanic or latino or black/not latino or hispanic, etc!

As far as the Border Patrol is concerned, they had to substantially lower hiring standards in order for anchor babies like Marcos Manzano Jr to make the cut. God only knows how many of them we have guarding our borders at this very moment. Makes me feel really secure!

Also:

[quote:1lq5ra7y]As part of his guilty plea, the agent will not have to forfeit the home to the government.
    [/quote:1lq5ra7y]

How does a 26 year old, working with the BP, with a starting salary in the high 30's afford to purchase a home anywhere in CA? I would bet that home was purchased in part with drug proceeds from his illegal invading (drug dealing?) father! They need to dig a little deeper!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How does a 26 year old, working with the BP, with a starting salary in the high 30's afford to purchase a home anywhere in CA? I would bet that home was purchased in part with drug proceeds from his illegal invading (drug dealing?) father! They need to dig a little deeper!
    I saw the house on the local news.
    It was a small older home in a run down neighborhood.
    I think the garage was converted to an apartment to rent out to help pay the morgage.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    I saw the house on the local news.
    It was a small older home in a run down neighborhood.
    I think the garage was converted to an apartment to rent out to help pay the morgage.
    What's ironic is that "small older home in a run down neighborhood" could cost as much as $200,000. It does sound as if the garage may have been converted into some sort of living space.

In any event, that's lot of money for someone barely making $40,000 a year.

Border Patrol Salary

As a Border Patrol Agent, you will receive all the advantages of being a federal employee. Where you begin on the General Service (GS) salary pay scale depends on your education and experience in law enforcement as well as your geographical location. Salaries can be significantly higher in metropolitan areas but, in general, a starting salary is in the mid 30s to mid 40s. Keep in mind that overtime pay (AUO—Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime) can increase base pay by about 25%.

[b]After 6 1â
    NO AMNESTY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast