Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Border town exemplifies ever-shifting immigration patterns

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=5244762

Border town exemplifies ever-shifting immigration patterns

PALOMAS, Mexico The border town of Palomas, Mexico, began to emerge as a top staging area for smugglers five years ago when tighter enforcement in Arizona slowly shifted a stream of immigrants toward southwestern New Mexico.

But the town square in Palomas is no longer thick with people waiting to sneak across the border into New Mexico.

The square is lined with four empty school buses waiting for customers to haul to easier crossing points.

Palomas' role as a gathering point for smuggling has diminished.

A buildup of Border Patrol agents, surveillance cameras, vehicle barriers and National Guard soldiers have steered most of the immigrant traffic away from the neighboring village of Columbus, New Mexico's busiest crossing point.

The shift is part of a common pattern seen in recent years: Crackdowns in one section of the border send immigrants and smugglers flooding to other areas, so the front is ever-changing.

While traffic has slowed in Columbus, officials said immigrant traffic continues to rise at border sections nearby.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Confiscate property!

Build the fence, now. Hit employers of illegal aliens hard. Take away all benefits to illegal aliens. English only. No anchor babies. Deport illegal aliens to whatever country they come from.

Just had a thought. (Oh no, a thought ). In drug arrests, under certain circumstances, we see over and over that property is confiscated, to discourage the crime and to help pay for enforcement! Well, let's tell our lawBreakers that we want the same thing done to illegal aliens, and their employers. Wouldn't that drive the cost of doing business a bit higher? If the word got out around the world, that if you come legally to the USA, welcome! If you come illegally, anything you get...car, home, business...your very belongings, will, by law, be confiscated to pay for your crime of being here illegally, plus the enforcement of that crime...wouldn't that change the situation? If employers no longer had a minimal fine, but would lose their very businesses and all that's attached to it...vehicles, machinery, etc., that might change their view about CHEAP LABOR!

OK, I know that'd never happen, but if we started making noise about it, maybe it would get some lawBreakers attention...make them understand how serious the AMERICAN and Legal immigrants are re this issue.

Who's with me on this? I think that tomorrow is email/fax/phone time!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Patricia darling:

You are an absolute genius!!!!!!!!

Now that I'm awake (with my coffee by my side), I'M UP FOR IT!!!

CW, thanks, but no genius here.

Logical and pragmatic, yes . With all of the abuse of this country and it's citizens and LEGAL immigrants by illegal aliens, AND by the criminal employers who knowingly hire and thereby encourage this type of abuse, it just makes sense. After all, there already EXISTS such a precedence in the law re drug offenses and confiscation. IMHO.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

cw

TIME'S UP!

Pat:

Seriously, this is an absolutely great idea!!!

The government confiscates all sorts of "contraband" in criminal proceedings, why not do what you suggested.

I'm serious - we need to propose this to somebody who will listen. I'm thinking Tancredo.

Mind if I send him your little idea??? (Seeing as i'm one of his constituents)

CW,

PLEASE DO!

Seriously, I would like to see everyone email/phone/fax everyone in their networks on this; their lawBreakers (for newbies..my word for lawMakers) federal, state and local, including media, even MSM, although they won't respond. Just make noise!!!
    TIME'S UP!

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/47483.html

Immigration: Border town exemplifies ever-shifting immigration patterns

By Y JACQUES BILLEAUD | Associated Press
    August 6, 2006

PALOMAS, Mexico (AP) - No longer thick with people waiting to sneak across the border into New Mexico, the town square in this immigrant smuggling hub is lined with four empty school buses waiting for customers to haul to easier crossing points.

The border town began to emerge as a top staging area for smugglers five years ago when tighter enforcement in Arizona slowly shifted a stream of immigrants toward a stretch of high desert in southwestern New Mexico.

But Palomas' role as a gathering point for smuggling has diminished. A buildup of Border Patrol agents, surveillance cameras, vehicle barriers and National Guard soldiers have steered most of the immigrant traffic away from the neighboring village of Columbus, New Mexico's busiest crossing point.

"They are still crossing, but it's rare that they make it across," said Francisco Molina Arreola, a driver whose dusty bus was empty of would-be border-crossers this day. He said tougher border security has cut his business by more than half, even as other spots west of Columbus have grown more popular.

The shift is part of a common pattern seen in recent years: Crackdowns in one section of the border send immigrants and smugglers flooding to other areas, so the front is ever-changing. While traffic has slowed in Columbus, officials said immigrant traffic continues to rise at border sections nearby.

Current immigrant arrest figures for New Mexico were unavailable, but more than 39,000 immigrant apprehensions have been made since Oct. 1 in a 54-mile border area that includes Columbus. That's a 13 percent increase from the same time span a year earlier.

It's too early to identify the location of the shift near Columbus or the reaction of the smugglers, but the traffic was expected to flow to more remote desert.

"They are unsure of what to do," Supervisory Border Patrol Agent Chris Mangusing said of the smugglers. "Either they'll come up with something new or they will move out of the area."

As recently as seven weeks ago, agents would make 200 to 300 immigrant arrests each day in the 54-mile section of border near Columbus. Arrests have since dropped to as few as 30 a day, but the number is expected to rise again once smugglers figure out a new approach.

While the Border Patrol has doubled its numbers in the area over the last two years, officials said the drop-off in traffic came after National Guard soldiers began to arrive at the New Mexico border as part of President Bush's new border plan.

Troops were installing several miles of vehicle barriers between the roads that separate Columbus and Palomas. All that stood previously in many spots was ranch fencing, much of it laying on its side.

Soldiers also operate remote cameras placed throughout the landscape, using joysticks and video monitors to spot people trying to move through huge stretches of mesquite trees and yucca plants.

About a mile north of the border, Guard troops sat 20 feet high in mobile observation towers atop stubby rolling hills. Soldiers use binoculars to look for border breaches and watch as buses from Palomas bring people west to two other crossing points, Las Palmas and Las Chepas.

Troops picking up some Border Patrol duties have allowed more agents to patrol the flat, rugged desert that eventually gives way to farms growing onions, watermelons and chilies.

Bill Johnson, a farmer 20 miles west of Columbus, said the recent crackdown has provided some relief, but his frustrations have mounted to the point he might consider selling the 100,000-acre ranch his family has run since 1918.

In the three-day hike from the border to Interstate 10, immigrants leave behind water bottles, food containers and backpacks. They also tear down ranch fences, damage water tanks intended for cattle and clear paths through brush.

In one instance last year, Johnson said a group of immigrants passing through his property trampled one of his fields, ruining about $10,000 of onions.

"It's to the point if somebody said, 'I would want to take it over,' I would definitely talk to them, whereas 10 years ago I would have said I have no interest," Johnson said.

Back across the border, Elisco Hernandez Gonzalez said people planning to cross the border illegally used to buy as many 15 backpacks each day at his family's T-shirt shop in Palomas, to carry their food, water and clothing during the hike north. Today, the shop sells four backpacks a day.

"There are not many people because of the soldiers that were put on the border," Hernandez said.

But Manuel Hernandez, a masonry worker passing his time in the town square before beginning his crossing, said he was willing to take his chances in launching his journey at Palomas.

He plans to head to Tampa, Fla., where he can earn $10 an hour, compared to $15 a day back home in Tuzantla in the central Mexican state of Michoacan. He is waiting for the right moment to cross.

"When they are not looking in their binoculars, then we go," Hernandez said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think it's a GREAT IDEA!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

"When they are not looking in their binoculars, then we go," Hernandez said.
    Okay, let's put up really realistic scarecrows holding binoculars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast