Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Boycott turnout tied to finances

http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... /604300337

Boycott turnout tied to finances
    Some Hispanics say they can't afford to partake in immigrant protest
    Monday.

By KIM BROWN
    and CHAD WEIHRAUCH

For many Spanish-speaking immigrants in Central Jersey, the question of whether to stay home from work Monday is a difficult one, pitting financial needs against worker solidarity.

Monday has been billed as a national "Day Without an Immigrant." Several New Jersey Hispanic advocacy groups have joined others across the country in urging workers to remain home that day in a large-scale, mainly passive protest against recent federal immigration reform proposals in Congress.

In Frascella's Liquor Shop in Bound Brook last week, Mario Martinez, who emigrated legally from Mexico seven years ago, said for him, the choice isn't a tough one. The 38-year-old married father of three said he cannot afford to stay out for one day from his job as a mechanic.

"I don't support it (the rally) because I have three kids; I need to support them," he said. "I would lose $146 for the day. I can't be a part of that.

"They're trying to pressure the government, but I don't think they're going about it the right way. There are a lot of things you need to do before you become legal. You have to prove yourself."

Oscar Martinez, a construction worker who came to the United States 12 years ago and does not have legal status, said he supports the protest and will not go to work that day.

"The immigrants are important to this country, but they're not treated that way," he said. "Everybody, all the Spanish (-speaking) people, have to take Monday off. This country needs us. We have to show the employers how important we are."

Support for the movement tended to be stronger among those who do not have legal status to work in this country. One Bound Brook resident, who asked to be identified only as Angelica, said she would stay home for the day to draw attention to the need for a guest-worker program for people such as herself.

"It's important for us," she said. "I don't know if it will help or not, but it's important to do something."

Christian Estevez, a Plainfield resident and labor organizer who founded the Organization for Latino Advancement, acknowledged last week that the planned protest -- meant to draw attention to the contributions of Hispanic immigrants -- will be hard on some participants.

"These tend to be low-wage workers that every penny helps," he said. "As much as people want to make a statement, they have to provide first -- they need to eat first."

If Spanish-speaking immigrants are not a key component of the nation's economy, or many people choose not to stay home, then the business boycott won't have much of an effect, Estevez added.

"But if we are important, and we pull it off and people don't show up for work, maybe it will send a message to the community at large that these people are important," he said.

Although Eric Cosme, a 44-year-old South Bound Brook resident, has legal status to live and work in this country, he is staying home from his job in a warehouse to help others get their message out.

"We're trying to have an impact on the American economy," said the father of three from El Salvador, "to show that we are really needed in landscaping, construction, restaurants, cleaning, I could go on and on."

The boycott is taking place on May Day, when workers traditionally march for improved conditions.

New Jersey Hispanic groups plan marches Monday to the offices of several members of Congress who have supported the so-called Sensenbrenner Bill. The bill, introduced by Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., essentially would stiffen penalties for illegal residents and those who assist them.

The immigration reform effort stalled in the U.S. Senate a few weeks ago after officials failed to reach a compromise between hard-line proposals that would sharpen existing laws and those that would provide forgiveness by easing the path to citizenship for illegal residents already living in America.

For some, the Monday protest comes down to more immediate concerns of work and everyday life.

"I hope everybody comes to work," said Chris Dowling of Bound Brook, who manages a cleaning company in Jersey City that employs a number of immigrants.

"As far as I know, there will be no walkout -- maybe some rallying and some people will call out sick," he said. "The idea of them taking off work, I don't like at all. I think it disrupts too many people."

Chad Weihrauch can be reached at 908-707-3137 or cweihrau@c-n.com.

Kim Brown can be reached at 908-707-3176 or kbrown@c-n.com.

from the Courier News website www.c-n.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Yeah, g'ahead...show US how important you are.

Being "important" because you stole a job from an American Citizen has never made you "important' and will never make you "important'.

You all are going home...and the protests are good because it will show America how many illegal aliens there are and how many jobs will open up as soon as the US Government does its job and enforces US Immigration, US Labor and US Civil Rights Laws.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn