Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

RELATED

Jan Brewer on Tarmac Face Off: Obama “Tense…Thin-Skinned” (AUDIO)

StandWithArizona.com
    By John Hill on January 25, 2012

A few hours after she was bizarrely confronted by Barack Obama on the airport tarmac, Gov. Jan Brewer went on KFYI’s Mike Broomhead Show to give us the details on what happened as the President faced off with the Arizona governor – generating national headlines and derailing his post-State of the Union message.

Brewer was stunned as Obama dispensed with the pleasantries and immediately scolded Brewer for her portrayal of their frosty, July 2010 Oval Office meeting in her memoir, Scorpions for Breakfast.

Brewer said Obama was “uh, a little tense”. She said she tried to show respect but that Obama acted “thin-skinned”, and complained about how she described their earlier meeting, in which Brewer made clear how little time she was given to speak, and how Obama condescendingly lectured her about immigration reform, and did not want to hear about border violence and the costs of illegal aliens to Arizona.

Here is the full audio, well worth a listen: Jan Brewer On With Mike Broomhead - 550 KFYI

Interestingly, this was not the first time that Obama acted so petulantly on an airport tarmac. After the BP oil spill, Obama gave Gov. Bobby Jindal a similar treatment, as the Weekly Standard details tonight.
    Gov. Brewer, you did us proud today. You showed respect, but when offered none in return, you did not back down. Well done!

Source:

Jan Brewer on Tarmac Face Off: Obama “Tense…Thin-Skinned” (AUDIO) | Stand With Arizona
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

working4change
    Second article added to the Homepage
    http://www.alipac.us/content/arizona...que-obama-108/

PHOENIX — President Obama and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) appeared to exchange heated words in front of reporters and other public officials on Wednesday as Obama arrived in this Southwestern city for the second stop of his post-State of the Union tour.

The unusual confrontation--which included Brewer pointing her finger at Obama, and Obama walking away--centered on Brewer’s newly published account of a meeting she and Obama had at the White House in June, 2010, officials said.
    Obama descended the stairs of Air Force One and was greeted by Brewer, who was waiting for him along with other politicians in a traditional receiving line. Brewer offered Obama a letter, which she later said was an invitation to sit down with her to discuss Arizona’s economic “comeback” and to join her for a tour of the U.S.-Mexican border.

The president told Brewer he would be happy to meet with her, a White House aide said, but also informed the governor that he thought she had been inaccurate in describing their earlier session in the Oval Office.

Brewer’s book, “Scorpions for Breakfast: My Fight Against Special Interests, Liberal Media, and Cynical Politicos to Secure the Border,’’ details her conservative approach to dealing with the state’s illegal immigration challenges. An review published in the Arizona Republic said that Brewer casts Obama as “condescending” and skewers him repeatedly. Although she originally described their Oval Office meeting as cordial, the newspaper said, “in the book she calls the president ‘patronizing’ and said ‘he lectured me.’ ”

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer points at President Obama. (Haraz N. Ghanbari - AP)

“He didn’t feel that I had treated him cordially” in the book, Brewer told reporters Wednesday. “I said to him that I have all the respect in the world for the office of the president. The book is what the book is. I asked him if he read the book. He said he read the excerpt.”

She and Obama appeared to be talking over each other on the tarmac, as other Arizona officials looked on. The exchange ended when Obama abruptly walked away, as Brewer appeared to still be speaking.

Asked about the conversation, Brewer told the reporters that Obama was “a little disturbed” about her account of their meeting. A White House official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a private conversation, said Obama told Brewer she “inaccurately described the meeting in her book.”

Brewer said she told Obama that she was sorry he felt slighted “but I didn’t get my sentence finished.”

Just a day earlier, at the State of the Union Address, Obama had a much warmer exchange with an Arizona politician from his own party, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

But with Brewer, one of the nation’s most outspoken critics of federal immigration policy, what was supposed to be a standard photo-op quickly morphed into a confrontation.

“I thought we probably would’ve talked about the things that were important to him and important to me, helping one another,” Brewer said later. “Our country is upside down. Arizona was upside down. But we have turned it around. I know again that he loves this country and I love this country.”

After ending the exchange with Brewer, Obama moved on in the receiving line, where he was greeted without incident by Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and Mesa Mayor Scott Smith. He then headed for an Intel factory that manufactures microprocessors.

“Anyway, we’re glad he’s here,” a shaken Brewer said. “I’ll regroup.”

Obama tangles with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer over immigration book - 44 - The Washington Post
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post
    oooh! I love that picture!

W

Ditto! My first thought upon seeing it was:

OH, what a beautiful picture!

Obama getting dressed down by a little lady who has more kahunas than most of the politicians...
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

Obama-Brewer friction on display on tarmac tiff

missoulian.com
    Associated Press
    Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer says she meant no disrespect when she pointed a finger at President Barack Obama during an intense discussion on an airport tarmac. But the Republican governor says the Democratic president showed disrespect for her by abruptly ending their conversation.

The brief encounter _ out of earshot of observers but captured on camera _ was a highly visible demonstration of the verbal and legal skirmishing that has regularly occurred between Brewer and Obama's administration over illegal immigration and other issues.

Airport arrivals for presidents normally involve mere pleasantries between those involved, but Brewer and Obama have a history. And part of that history is what apparently got things going, according to accounts provided by Brewer and the White House.

Brewer said that during their talk, she invited Obama to visit Arizona to hear about her administration's achievements and to visit the U.S.-Mexico border, which has been a point of friction between the two because of illegal immigration issue.

Obama then said Brewer's recently published book mischaracterized a 2011 White House meeting between them.

Brewer said in an interview Thursday, at another Phoenix-area airport, that she talks a lot with her hands and that her pointing a finger at Obama during their conversation wasn't disrespectful.

"I respect the office of the president," she said. "I was there to welcome him."

She said she was grateful for the visit and intended to talk to him about the state's accomplishments. But she said she was "taken aback by his comments" when he said he wasn't happy with how her book described their White House meeting.

Immediately after the meeting Brewer had said it was cordial, but her book said Obama lectured Brewer in the Oval Office and that she felt he was condescending toward her.

"It is what it is. I proceeded to say that to him, and he chose to walk away from me," she said Thursday.

Asked whether she regarded that as disrespectful, she replied: "Well, I would never have walked away from anybody having a conversation. And, of course, that is what it is. It is disrespectful for me."

Their relationship covers disagreements on "most of his policies," she said. "That doesn't mean we can't be cordial to one another."

The encounter was notable because it was rare case of an unscripted and tense moment between the president and a public official in view of reporters.

White House press secretary Jay Carney chided reporters Thursday, saying the encounter with Brewer was getting too much attention from the White House press corps and overshadowing Obama's message of the day on energy.

Obama appreciated that Brewer was on hand to welcome him, but he noted that her book's description of Oval Office meeting "was not accurate," Carney told reporters traveling on Air Force One on a flight from Nevada to Colorado.

Carney was questioned about Brewer's statement Thursday that Obama cut her short by walking away.

"You guys are giving this incident far too much importance, Carney said. He added, "I really assume you guys have more important issues to cover than this."

Brewer is among the Republican governors who oppose the federal health care overhaul, but the illegal immigration issue has been a particular sore point between Obama and Brewer.

The U.S. Justice Department has challenged Arizona's controversial 2010 immigration enforcement law in court, while the administration and Brewer are at odds over whether the federal government has done enough to secure the U.S.-Mexico border.

On Thursday, Brewer drew support from callers to conservative-oriented talk shows, but the incident left others in the state shaking their heads.

The Arizona Republic, the state's largest newspaper, editorialized that the image of Brewer wagging a scolding finger at the visiting president "now pretty much defines this state's relationship with Washington, D.C., to the world."

Bruce Merrill, a longtime Arizona pollster and a professor emeritus at Arizona State University, said there are two sides to the encounter, so it's hard to fully analyze what happened and why.

But the incident follows past incidents in which Arizona for a time balked at declaring a state holiday to honor Martin Luther King Jr., and Arizona State University refused to award Obama an honorary degree, Merrill noted.

"It reinforces the image of Arizona being kind of a cowboy state that doesn't show a lot of respect," he said of the airport encounter.

The two mayors who stood next to Brewer during the airport encounter were not available for interviews Thursday, their offices said.

"He doesn't want to get involved," said Melissa Randazzo, spokeswoman for Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, a Republican.

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton's office said his schedule had no time for an interview. Stanton is a Democrat.

___

Associated Press writer Jim Kuhnhenn contributed to this report from aboard Air Force One.

Read more: Obama-Brewer friction on display on tarmac tiff
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April

This is the letter that Gov Brewer gave to Obama. The letter is polite and classy and it is a shame that it was received so rudely.

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post
    This is the letter that Gov Brewer gave to Obama. The letter is polite and classy and it is a shame that it was received so rudely.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A great letter from a Great American to a Communist Dictator!

Is this letter getting much coverage in MSM?

Banned
    If the US,is interested in excerpts of Jan Brewer's book,maybe they would like to enjoy a few excerpts from Obama's book!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12