Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Brewer: We Weren't Invited to Obama's Immigration Forum

Brewer: We Weren't Invited to Obama's Immigration Forum
    Governor Brewer 'disappointed' about the omission

Updated: Tuesday, 19 Apr 2011, 3:32 PM MDT
    Published : Tuesday, 19 Apr 2011, 3:32 PM MDT

PHOENIX - President Obama held an immigration reform meeting at the White House Tuesday, inviting several officials from other states, but declined to invite a representative from Phoenix -- a city most would argue is at the forefront of the immigration debate.

Gov. Brewer definitely noticed the omission.

"I heard about that last night on one of the news stations, that this is taking place, and it is my understanding that no border governor was invited... I wish I had been invited. I think I could have lent some interesting ideas and facts," she told us.

"I would tell him the issues that our citizens are facing in regards to our border not being secure... I was a little disappointed because it's something I'm concerned about and if I could bring awareness to the White House in an effort to bring a solution... not being invited is disappointing."

The invitees include former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the mayors of New York and San Antonio, and Philadelphia's police commissioner.

The bipartisan group met with Obama at the White House Tuesday afternoon to discuss revamping the immigration system.

In a statement issued late Monday, the White House said the president is holding the meeting to discuss the importance of fixing the nation's "broken immigration system" to meet the country's 21st century economic and national security needs.

The White House said business and religious leaders, as well as current and former public officials from across the political spectrum were to be invited. Even though the mix was bipartisan, most of the Republicans that were invited are moderates.

Only one person from Arizona was invited to the forum. That person is Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor, who has been outspoken against SB 1070, Arizona's contentious immigration law that is expected to eventually be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.

It's not clear whether he was in attendance, but the White House confirms that he was invited.

In a Monday afternoon interview with Dallas television station WFAA, Obama underscored the need for bilateral support to set new immigration policy.

"The question is going to be, are we going to be able to find some Republicans who can partner with me and others to get this done once and for all instead of using it as a political football," he said.

Obama has been under fire from Latino and immigration activists and Spanish-language media for failing to take up immigration in his first term. He has been consistently reminded of his campaign promise to address immigration early in his administration.

Although Obama has repeatedly said he is committed to immigration overhaul, the deportation of a record 393,000 immigrants last year and other enforcement tactics during his administration have drawn criticism in the immigrant and Hispanic communities.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/po ... -4-19-2011

They can claim it was a bipartisan group because a few Reps were there, probably Reps open to amnesty. The list has been posted on another thread but worth posting again.

Reps found - Schwarzenegger (doesn't count, he loves everyone), Michael Chertoff (probably agreed with Bush), John Engler (don't know anything about him) and Mel Martinez (agreed with Bush).

Invitees:

Attorney General Eric Holder

Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar

Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis

Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano

Valerie Jarrett, Assistant to the President & Senior Advisor

Nancy Ann DeParle, Assistant to the President & Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy

Melody Barnes, Assistant to the President & Director of Domestic Policy Council

President Obama
    Gene Sperling, Assistant to the President for Economic Policy & Director of National Economic Council

Austan Goolsbee, Chairman, Council of Economic Advisers

Cecilia Munoz, Deputy Assistant to the President & Director of Intergovernmental Affairs

Heidi Avery, Deputy Assistant to the President for Homeland Security

Stakeholders expected to attend the meeting include:

Leith Anderson, President, National Association of Evangelicals

Hon. Michael Bloomberg, City of New York

Bill Bratton, Former Police Chief, City of Los Angeles and City of New York

Hon. Julian Castro, Mayor, City of San Antonio

Secretary Michael Chertoff, Former Secretary Homeland Security

Governor John Engler, President and CEO, Business Roundtable

Hon. Eric Garcetti, City Council, President City of Los Angeles

Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, Former Secretary of Commerce

Raymond Kelly, Commissioner, New York City Police Department

Senator Mel Martinez, Former United States Senator/Chairman, Florida, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean JP Morgan Chase

Greg Page, Chairman & CEO, Cargill

Secretary Federico Pena, Former Secretary of Transportation and Secretary of Energy

John Podesta, CEO, Center for American Progress

Charles Ramsey, Chief of Police, City of Philadelphia/President, Major City Chiefs

Al Sharpton, President, National Action Network

Sheryl Sandberg, COO, Facebook

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Former California Governor

Richard Trumka, AFL-CIO

John C. Wester, Bishop, Archdiocese of Salt Lake City

Posted at:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-1215005.html#1215005
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    I wonder "witch" of this group would float???

It’s their choice to be led into a trap; no one will try and stop them, because there are too many others that can replace them‼
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself: