Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush again pushes drug aid for Mexico, Central America

Bush again pushes drug aid for Mexico, Central America

By Pablo Bachelet | McClatchy Newspapers
    Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 email | print tool nameclose
    tool goes here

WASHINGTON — With a Guatemalan leader looking on, President Bush on Monday urged Congress to approve a $550 million package of anti-drug trafficking assistance for Mexico and Central America.

The package, known as the Merida Initiative, would provides helicopters, training and other equipment to a region struggling to cope with a surge in drug-related violence. Congressional appropriators may cut parts of the program, which are to be included in an Iraq and Afghanistan spending bill, given budgetary constraints and concerns the aid is too focused on military equipment.

''We want to work in conjunction with strong leaders to make sure these drug traffickers don't get a stronghold,'' Bush said in the Oval office after meeting with Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom. "And that's why it's very important for Congress to fund the Merida project.''

In his remarks, Colom, a moderate leftist, said his nation is doing ''everything necessary'' to fight drug trafficking. Guatemala is part of the transit corridor for Colombian-produced cocaine headed to the United States.

Colom's was he first to the United States as head of state. He will also meet with Congressional leaders.

Besides drug trafficking, the two leaders discussed trade, economic reforms and immigration issues. Colom asked Bush to consider granting Guatemalan migrants a temporary reprieve from deportations known as TP.S. The Guatemalan economy is dependent on remittances sent by migrants in the United States.

''I assured him that I will consider his request,'' Bush said, ''and I assured him that I believe comprehensive immigration reform is in our nations' best interests.''

Only $50 million of the first installment of the three-year $1.4 billion Merida Initiative is earmarked for Central America.

This has triggered concerns among Central American leaders that drug trafficking organizations will shift southwards as Mexican security forces crack down.

Colom last November beat out a former military officer in a tight race to become Guatemala's first leftist leader in more than half a century. The industrial engineer took office in January, vowing to fight poverty. He's also pressing for the release of military documents that could shed light on the deaths of 200,000 during 1960-1996 civil war, most of them killed by security forces.

He's also taken a tough line against drug traffickers, telling a gathering at the Center for Strategic and International Studies that he was embarked on a ''frontal assault'' against the drug trade and cooperating with Mexico and the United States more.

Bush was all praise for Colom. ''We are friends,'' Bush said. "We treat each other with respect.''

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/35160.html
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We can't afford it pres . Put the troops on the border . Deport ALL Illegals . And go back to your nightmare of a President .
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    ''I assured him that I will consider his request,'' Bush said, ''and I assured him that I believe comprehensive immigration reform is in our nations' best interests.''
    and I assure you Presidente Bush, that there are millions of Americans that are starving and out of work and you pass out cash like it's candy all over the world, while Rome burns in the back ground
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Last time we "helped" Mexico with their drug war, didn't we create the Zetas? So the answer is NO! NO to Guatemala too, we depend on keeping American money HERE for Americans and we're having our own economic problems, thanksin large part to illegal aliens!
    "

Colom asked Bush to consider granting Guatemalan migrants a temporary reprieve from deportations known as TP.S. The Guatemalan economy is dependent on remittances sent by migrants in the United States.
    Aren't MS-13 gang members primarily Guatemalan?

The woman alledged to be the driver of the van involved in the Cottonwood, MN school bus accident, in which 4 childred died and 15 injured, originally told police she was 23-year-old Alianiss Nunez Morales from Mexico.
    Later it was determined she is actually Olga Franco, an illegal alien from Guatemala with barely a year's schooling.

Link

Can President Bush give Guatemalan illegal aliens a reprieve from deportations and permit tragedies like this crash to occur? Gang members need to be deported.

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Sorry to disagree,

Meth is an American problem that spilled over into Mexico and now innocent Mexicans are being killed in shootouts by the drug cartels.
    Cocaine is a two way problem--with American users stimulating the export from Colombia. That does mean though that Colombia is also responsible. Marijuana, though, I agree is largely a Mexican problem, even if it is headed to a US market. They've been exporting it for decades (like Acapulco Gold). I think the US should help, although I am not sure how much. $550 million or 1.4 billion doesn't seem like much these days. While Calderon is in office might be a better time to do something than if a left wing government takes over.

I do agree Bush is handing money out like candy. We're definitely going broke!
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

Give the Bushwacker a break, he wants to be the president of the North American Union, maybe he will do better the second time he is a president.

With a days worth of wages even at Mexican rates the average Mexican laborer can buy more of it than the average American laborer working here at ours. Despite this the Mexicans use less of it per capita than we do. The majority of consumption here is by males in their late teens and twenties. There is wide use of it by age in rural Mexico but the average urban Mexican prefers booze.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)