Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush coming to OC to talk on immigration

http://blogs.ocregister.com/buzz/

April 20, 2006
    Bush coming to OC to talk on immigration

President George W. Bush is likely to get a large welcome from the county's highly vocal anti-illegal immigration activists when he comes to Irvine on Monday morning to pitch his immigration plan. We're still getting the details, but it's certain to provide a lively news event.

His focus on a guest-worker program has riled many activists, who say that first the border needs to be better controlled and that any plan to legalize those here will only encourage more to cross illegally. Orange County has been a particular hotbed of opposition to Bush's plan, thanks in good part to Aliso Viejo's Jim Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman Project. Gilchrist has gained a national following for the attention he's brought to illegal border crossings.

I'll also be interested to hear how local GOP leaders will respond. Many of them have also taken the position that the border needs to be controlled before a guest-worker program is even considered.

-- Martin Wisckol

Not too many cause such a political stir that they force the President of the United States to come and respond to them.

Minutemen rock!

If anyone knows when and where on Monday he will be, please post it. I will definately take the day off work (call it my May 1) to go and have my voice heard too.

Anyone want to join??

http://ocregister.com/ocregister/hom...le_1112749.php
    Thursday, April 20, 2006
    Bush to speak in O.C. on Monday
    His Irvine stop is part of a weekend trip to California.

GERALD HERBERT, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

President Bush is extending his weekend trip to California to speak in Irvine on Monday on the volatile issue of immigration overhauls.
    Bush will speak to the Orange County Business Council between 8 and 9 a.m. at the Hyatt Regency Irvine, 17900 Jamboree Road, according to Myal Greene, spokesman for U.S. Rep. John Campbell, R-Irvine.

The president has repeatedly said he favors a comprehensive approach to immigration overhauls, one that strengthens borders and includes a guest-worker program that matches “willing workers with jobs that Americans won’t do.” That position puts him at odds with many Republicans in Orange County, including Campbell, who plans to attend the Monday event in his district.

The majority of GOP House members oppose a guest-worker plan.

“The congressman sees this as an opportunity to share his concerns with the president,” Greene said.

Legislation to bolster border security, institute a temporary guest-worker program and provide a path to legalization for many of the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the country stalled in the Senate two weeks ago. It is slated for further debate when the Senate reconvenes next week.

The House passed an enforcement-only measure in December.
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Good. Looks like I won't be the only one there against Illegal Immigration.

Time to

Time to break out the "Viva la Reagan Revolution" T Shirts and practice chanting, "We didn't leave The Party, The Party Left us!"

I think Bush has convinced himself that if he keeps saying the same 'ol crap about illegal immigration that all of a sudden Americans will jump on board with him. Well, ain't going to happen. I, for one, can't stand to listen to it anymore. I think just the opposite is happening. Bush is turning more and more people off. The Bush administration has lost my support for anything!

That's why his approval rating is down to 33% in the latest FOX poll.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!