Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush criticizes CAFTA foes as votes remain short

http://www.washingtonpost.com

Bush criticizes CAFTA foes as votes remain short
    Reuters
    Wednesday, June 22, 2005; 6:29 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush criticized as "economic isolationists" the opponents of a free trade agreement with Central America on Wednesday, as the White House and business groups struggled to win congressional votes for the pact.

"See I have a different approach to some of the economic isolationists who oppose this agreement. I believe they're pessimistic about America. I believe American workers can compete with anybody, anywhere, anytime if the rules are fair," Bush said during a visit to a Maryland nuclear plant.

The Bush administration has been trying to reach a deal with sugar-state lawmakers to alleviate their concerns about the U.S.-Central American Free Trade Agreement, or CAFTA, which is also opposed by labor groups and some textile and manufacturing organizations who fear it will lead to job losses.

Most farm and business groups support the pact, which they expect to boost exports to the Central American region.

According to a Senate source, a new proposal from the administration relating to the sugar provisions in the pact was turned down by the industry on Wednesday.

Sugar producers claim the additional market access provided to Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Dominican Republic could destroy the U.S. sugar industry -- especially if extended to other potential free trade partners like Thailand, South Africa and Brazil.

"We continue to talk to House and Senate members to see if there is some way we can work with them. I'm going to continue reaching out," U.S. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns told Reuters, declining to give further details.

One idea that appears to be under discussion would be for the Agriculture Department's Commodity Credit Corp. to ensure sugar does not flood the U.S. market between now and the next U.S. farm bill in 2007, an industry official said.

HOUSE CONTROL

The battle over CAFTA also has turned into a high-stakes fight over control of the House of Representatives.

With an eye on 2006 elections, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, is urging party members to vote against CAFTA, which would put pressure on Republicans from marginal districts to decide between voting for the pact or breaking with Bush, a House Democratic leadership aide said.

Republicans control the House with 231 votes, but many party members from sugar- and textile-producing states are reluctant to support the pact. That has made it difficult for the White House to get to the 218 votes it needs for approval in the House.

"My information is we're a handful of votes short," said Jim Fendell, president of the Association of American Chambers of Commerce in Latin America, said at a breakfast with small business owners in town to lobby for the pact.

Rep. Robin Hayes, a North Carolina Republican who helped the White House win authority in 2002 to negotiate trade agreements that can not be changed by Congress, told reporters on Tuesday that he was leaning no against CAFTA. Hayes was re-elected last year with 55 percent of the vote.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Re: Bush criticizes CAFTA foes as votes remain short

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    President Bush criticized as "economic isolationists" the opponents of a free trade agreement with Central America on Wednesday, as the White House and business groups struggled to win congressional votes for the pact.

"See I have a different approach to some of the economic isolationists who oppose this agreement. I believe they're pessimistic about America. I believe American workers can compete with anybody, anywhere, anytime if the rules are fair," Bush said during a visit to a Maryland nuclear plant.
    Listen up, you sicko-wacko-evil-parasite-from-hell....I've got a "real job" for you lined up in a TB infected Tyson's Plant in Arkansas just waiting for you to prove "American workers can compete with anybody, anywhere, anytime if the rules are fair".

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SOB???

He boils my blood, makes me grind my teeth, gives me a headache, and makes me want a pail to puke in.

GET THIS INSANE TRAITOR OUT OF THE GOVERNMENT NOW!!!

Republicans, as a 4th generation Republican myself, I'm telling you now that if the leadership of our party doesn't get this maniac treasonist lyin sack of manure out the White House immediately....it will be the last leadership position you hold in my Party, the party of Jefferson and Lincoln and the best job you'll ever hold again will be in a white coat and hairnet working side by side with your COMRADES AND AMIGOS in a Tyson Chicken Plant. And, just for you and your chicken shit friends, WE're going to exempt all Tyson Food Plants employing former federal workers and officials from minimum wage; over-time; and a 40 hour week so YOU ALL CAN PROVE just how "efficient' American Workers can be!!

"My information is we're a handful of votes short," said Jim Fendell, president of the Association of American Chambers of Commerce in Latin America, said at a breakfast with small business owners in town to lobby for the pact.
    The American Chambers of Commerce are Commies working toward the END OF OUR NATION. BOYCOTT ALL CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE...they are nothing but dirty diapers full of pooty!!

Rep. Robin Hayes, a North Carolina Republican who helped the White House win authority in 2002 to negotiate trade agreements that can not be changed by Congress, told reporters on Tuesday that he was leaning no against CAFTA. Hayes was re-elected last year with 55 percent of the vote.
    Well.....hello....and what do we have here....AOTHER TRAITOR IN NORTH CAROLINA!! Well....after the mess you created in 2002, Hayes Basey, I'd say voting NO NOW would be the least you can do. God Help Us...where do these people come from, where do they wear their souls, and HOW IN THE WORLD DID THEY GET INTO OUR GOVERNMENT????

Would you eat any chicken prepared by Bush and his Comrades and Amigos? Not I, hopefully not you. Aaah, too bad, so sad, NOW THEY ARE UNEMPLOYED.....I like it.

HAYES--YOU BETTER VOTE NO OR YOU'LL BE JOINING THEM!!

NOW THEY CAN SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE SOUP LINE THEY CREATED!!

(If I were Laura, I'd start lookin' for a new mate with a brighter future and a later bed time hour, eh?) He's "cute", but NOT THAT CUTE!!

If you get my drift....
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You piece of crap. Joseph Goebels would be so proud of you Jorge. Those who actually are trying to defend American jobs and Americas sovereignty are the enemy now. See this is what the enemies of America are trying to do. They are trying to make us out to be anti-American and at the same time trying to make themselves out to be patriotic. I have news for you Jorge. It is not un-American to disagree and speak out against your wack job policies. You are not king of the universe Mr I'm going to throw a tantrum if I don't get my way all the time. You don't have to be a Bush worshipper to be an American or a patriot. You are nothing, but a traitor to America and the people who actually try to work for a real living. So you think that American workers can compete with anybody, anywhere, anytime if the rules are fair. What is so fair about competing with third world laborers who work in rat infested sweatshops for 2 dollars an hour if that with no health benefits, no workers comp and no workers protection rights whatsoever? You call that fair? How are Americans suppose to compete with that and still be able to live a decent life? Maybe us Americans don't want to live in a mudhut in Chile or live 60 to a two bedroom apartment complex in Mexico or work in a TB or Sars infested meat packing plant in China Jorge. How fair is it to try and compete with third world countries in a trade agreement that allows them to ship ten times or more of their products onto our shores then they have to take into their country?

NAFTA didn't solve illegal immigration, nor did it solve our budget problems, nor did it stop citizens from losing their jobs, only made it alot worse, but now CAFTA is going to solve all of our problems? Give me a break. Then again what do I know since I didn't have daddy give me a free ride to Yale when I was a young lad.

I agree Judy, somebody get this traitor out of office. If the Republicans get this trade agreement passed then they are finished as a party. They are done. They will never have a majority again for a long, long time. They are on thin ice as it is and it seems like some of them are more than willing to follow the pied piper Bush like lemings into the ocean. Well we aren't going to allow them to take America with them on their way down.

With an eye on 2006 elections, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, is urging party members to vote against CAFTA, which would put pressure on Republicans from marginal districts to decide between voting for the pact or breaking with Bush, a House Democratic leadership aide said.
    So we now have to rely on this communist to save America's sovereignty? God help us, I think I'm going to puke now.

Your right Judy, another traitor that needs to be led off in handcuffs. This clown is aiding and abetting the destruction of America so he can get his payoff from Jorge Bush and his gaggle of globalists cronies. They can all rot in hell for this.

Absolute traitor. You just basically gave dictator like powers to this madman on trade policies. There's checks and balances for you. Time to outsource Congress in 06. America will be run into the ground if CAFTA is passed. We will never get out of debt or solve illegal immigration if this is passed.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"See I have a different approach to some of the economic isolationists who oppose this agreement. I believe they're pessimistic about America. I believe American workers can compete with anybody, anywhere, anytime if the rules are fair," Bush said

Mr. Bush we will continue to fight on this. Folks STEP up your letters, calls, faxes, and emails to these congress people.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)