Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Bush riles everyone over illegals

http://washingtontimes.com/national/200 ... -9693r.htm

Bush riles everyone over illegals
    By Stephen Dinan
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Published October 24, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    President Bush's claim that his guest-worker program will facilitate his goal of expelling "every single" illegal alien from the U.S. wound up pleasing neither side in the immigration debate.

Immigrant-rights advocates were angered this week by the stance that the aliens will have to go home within six years. But those seeking a crackdown on illegals weren't happy either and said the administration ignored employer sanctions.

The New York Immigration Coalition announced that it will fight Mr. Bush's plan, which the group called an "insult" to aliens willing to take low-paying jobs.

"Far from being compassionate, it crushes the dreams of millions of immigrants," said Chung-Wha Hong, the group's executive director.

Immigration advocates had hoped Mr. Bush would endorse an approach such as that of Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, which would legalize the estimated 11 million unauthorized aliens and create a system for 400,000 foreign workers a year to come to the U.S. legally, in the hope of deterring future illegal aliens.

Instead, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told Congress on Tuesday that he will work to deport illegal aliens and boost border security, and Labor Secretary Elaine L. Chao said Mr. Bush's guest-worker plan would require workers, including current illegal aliens who join, to go home after a maximum of six years.

"I felt like jumping up and saying, 'What about these blended families?' " said Deborah Notkin, president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. The proposal is unrealistic because families with children who are U.S. citizens won't want to be separated or go home, she said.

Both she and those on the other side of the debate said the new position contradicts what Mr. Bush said in January 2004 on announcing his program.

Mr. Bush had said, "Some temporary workers will make the decision to pursue American citizenship," and during his State of the Union address a few weeks later, he said his "temporary-worker program will preserve the citizenship path for those who respect the law."

"It appears that the administration has changed its policy," said Rep. Lamar Smith, Texas Republican. "If so, I am sure that they will want to clarify it soon."

But Erin Healy, a spokeswoman for the White House, said Mrs. Chao's remarks were consistent with Mr. Bush's earlier statements.

"The temporary-worker program is not amnesty. That's what he's saying there, and there's no conflict between that and what Secretary Chao said," the spokeswoman said.

Mr. Smith and other House Republicans said that just as important is what Mr. Bush left out when speaking Tuesday as he signed the Homeland Security spending bill. He addressed border and interior law enforcement, but said nothing about targeting employers who hire illegal aliens.

"The real test for many of us in Congress is whether employer sanctions are going to be enforced," Mr. Smith said.

Ms. Notkin said that at this point, there are three positions in the immigration debate: those who support the McCain-Kennedy bill, those like Mr. Smith who want strict enforcement and then an evaluation of whether a guest-worker program is necessary, and those who favor the White House position, best embodied in the bill by Republican Sens. John Cornyn of Texas and Jon Kyl of Arizona.

That bill would boost enforcement, give illegal aliens five years to leave and create a new program to allow foreign workers to stay for up to six years.

"What I'm hoping is there'll be a dialogue, and the administration and Senators Kyl and Cornyn have a chance to look at their bill and the unworkability of it," Ms. Notkin said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well, isn't that interesting. NOT ONE of these elected or appointed officials mentioned that WE ALREADY HAVE LAWS dictating what is supposed to be done; what in fact is ALREADY their DUTY and OBLIGATION to the American People; and now everything is about as clear as MUD except:

They all know we're fed-up and aren't going to take it any more including the Maniac and at least, THAT is as clear as a bell.

Ding-a-ling! Ding-a-ling!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I felt like jumping up and saying, 'What about these blended families?' " said Deborah Notkin, president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. The proposal is unrealistic because families with children who are U.S. citizens won't want to be separated or go home, she said.

Is there a reason these parents can't take their children with them? Does Mexico not allow American children to live with their parents in Mexico? Did they not know the risks they were taking when they came here? [/quote]

Amnesty by any other name is still AMNESTY.

I don't know why these people are getting so wrought up. The man is lying. He is not going to do anything. He's never done anything about the problem and all he's doing now is TRYING to smooth some feathers on SOME issue because he sure is failing on every issue his administration has undertaken. He speaks with a forked tongue and he will no more follow through than FLY. Why is he, all of a sudden, so interested in having a LOT more border agents when, 6 months ago in his budget proposal, he had cut what Congress recommended from 2000 a year for the next 5 years to TWO HUNDRED a year for the next 5 years.

This man is going down the tubes and he is grasping for ANYTHING that will pacify the "BASE". And, if I hear that expression one more time, I think I will PUKE.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

George needs to be interviewed By Lou Dobbs....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie
    Amnesty by any other name is still AMNESTY.
    A terd is a terd and it can lie on the lawn.
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

Can't you just PICTURE an interview of the President by Lou Dobbs?? Now, that would be an interesting picture. But, of course that will NEVER happen because Bush just couldn't answer the pertinent questions that Lou would have.

The results of Lou's poll last night ended up being 97% of participants said the Department of Homeland Security should immediately go after ALL people who are here on expired Visas!!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton