Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush urges Congress to work together to pass CAFTA

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=8881325

Bush urges Congress to work together to pass CAFTA
    Thu Jun 23, 2005 08:09 PM ET

By Sophie Walker

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush formally asked Congress on Thursday to approve a controversial free trade agreement with Central America, setting the stage for a bruising fight with Democrats -- and some fellow Republicans -- over the future of U.S. trade policy.

"The agreement is in our national interest, and I urge the Congress to approve it expeditiously," Bush said in a letter to Congress sent along with implementing legislation for the U.S.-Central American Free Trade Agreement, or CAFTA.

Under the 2002 trade act, lawmakers now have 90 legislative days to decide whether to reject or approve the agreement without making any changes. Congress could begin consideration of the pact as early as next week.

CAFTA faces much stronger opposition from Democrats -- and from Republicans with ties to the sugar and textile industry -- than recent trade pacts with Australia, Singapore, Chile and Morocco that won easy approval.

In a show of bipartisan support for CAFTA outside of Congress, Cabinet officials from several previous administrations -- including that of former Democratic President Bill Clinton -- joined Bush at an event to push for approval of the pact with Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic.

"These folks (who) worked at the White House know exactly what I'm talking about. That's why they're standing up here, saying with common voice to the United States Congress, 'Let's get this bill passed,"' Bush said.

"It is time to set aside political differences and focus on this very important trade agreement for the good of our country," Bush said.

CAFTA would lower barriers to U.S. exports to the six countries, while locking in and expanding the preferential access the region already enjoys in the U.S. market.

Most farm and big business groups support the pact, which they expect to boost exports, but other business groups fear it would lead to job losses and sugar producers say it could destroy the U.S. industry.

Most Democrats in the House, and many in the Senate, oppose CAFTA on the grounds that its labor provisions are not strong enough for a region with a poor record on workers' rights.

"Democrats stood ready to work with the Republicans to put together something that promoted American business, that created American jobs, and protected our environment," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, told a news conference.

"Instead, we have this exploitation of workers in Central America and the environment there, and also at the expense of American workers."

The Bush administration argues the provisions are the strongest of any trade agreement yet negotiated and would do more to improve labor conditions in the Central American region than alternatives that Democrats have proposed.

Rejection of CAFTA would damage U.S. ability to negotiate other trade deals in the Western Hemisphere and the rest of the world, U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman has said.

Republicans control the House with 231 votes, but many party members from sugar- and textile-producing states are reluctant to support the pact because of possible job losses in those sectors. Opponents say there are 190 Democrats and 40 Republicans in the House who oppose CAFTA.

That would mean the White House is still some way from getting the 218 votes it needs for approval in the House.

"We still have a lot of work to do, but we cleared a major hurdle last week" when key congressional committees gave preliminary approval to the pact, Portman said.

Bush cast the issue in national security terms, arguing it would be good for stability in the hemisphere and reduce immigration from Central America.

"All of us understand that strengthening our economic ties with our democratic neighbors is a vital issue of national importance. All of us urge Congress to pass the agreement because America has an interest in strengthening democracy and advancing prosperity in our hemisphere," he said.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

You all wanna see the TRUTh about what NAFTA did to America? Go here:
    http://www.americanjobsfilm.com/

It is ASTONISHING to me that my own PRESIDENT is actively doing everything he can to put more of us in the unemployment lines. This is the WORST president we have ever had.

"The agreement is in our national interest, and I urge the Congress to approve it expeditiously," Bush said in a letter to Congress sent along with implementing legislation for the U.S.-Central American Free Trade Agreement, or CAFTA.
    In our national interest? How dare you try to speak for me you maggot? I don't remember anybody asking me personally if I think CAFTA would be great for America. In fact I don't even remember one poll being conducted on this issue. How dare this arrogant SOB claim to speak for us? When was the last time he's ever stepped outside to a place where he's not sheltered by his cronies and talked to some real people? Since he's in bed by 9pm, I'm surprised he has all that time to talk to us common folk to get our opinion.

"These folks (who) worked at the White House know exactly what I'm talking about. That's why they're standing up here, saying with common voice to the United States Congress, 'Let's get this bill passed,"' Bush said.
    I didn't know Bill Clinton spoke for this country too. Since when does a lying sack of manure who was a failed, disgraced, impeached president know what he's doing? Maybe if he wasn't so busy playing golf and screwing Ms Monica trailer trash inside his oval office then maybe he could have used his vast knowledge to stop 9-11, kill Osama and fix our borders.

"It is time to set aside political differences and focus on this very important trade agreement for the good of our country," Bush said.
    This quote is just laughable. Oh and Jorge isn't all about partisan politics? So what's so good about this trade agreement Mr Bush? More trade debts, more job losses, more uneducated/unskilled illegals flooding our country, more cheap third world imports flooding our shores, more cheap labor flooding into our job markets, soaking up the jobs, displacing American workers and driving down the wages. That's suppose to be good for us? It is a great deal for your corporate cronies, but Americans in general are getting the shaft IMO. Oh it's great for America, just ask Bush, he'll tell ya.

Most Democrats in the House, and many in the Senate, oppose CAFTA on the grounds that its labor provisions are not strong enough for a region with a poor record on workers' rights.
    Not because it would hurt American workers or anything. F ing scumbags.

The Bush administration argues the provisions are the strongest of any trade agreement yet negotiated and would do more to improve labor conditions in the Central American region than alternatives that Democrats have proposed.
    He's so full of it. These evil doing businesses will run these workers into the ground. Why else do they want access to this cheap labor? To exploit them at American workers expense. Bush is doing this as a payoff to his big business cronies that got him elected and relected into power. Why else do you think work site enforcement of worker protection laws against businesses has been the lowest ever under the Bush administration to the point where it's been virtually non-existant.

Rejection of CAFTA would damage U.S. ability to negotiate other trade deals in the Western Hemisphere and the rest of the world, U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman has said.
    And that's bad news? I would cheer if we never did another so called free trade agreement again.

Bush cast the issue in national security terms, arguing it would be good for stability in the hemisphere and reduce immigration from Central America.
    And that's the same lie these scumbags used to pass NAFTA. How can they get away with peddling the big lie again? Makes me sick.

"All of us understand that strengthening our economic ties with our democratic neighbors is a vital issue of national importance. All of us urge Congress to pass the agreement because America has an interest in strengthening democracy and advancing prosperity in our hemisphere," he said.
    This makes me sick. We need people protesting in the streets against this. The American people are not getting a say in this and there voices need to be heard. Wake up America, your country is being sold out from behind your backs. Can you please turn off American Idol or Survivor for a couple of mins and contact your Senators and Reps? Do something.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn