Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA: Benoit Measure Cuts Off Funding for Sanctuary Cities

Benoit Measure Cuts Off Funding for Sanctuary Cities
    California Political Desk
    March 07, 2008

SACRAMENTO – Assemblyman John J. Benoit (R-Bermuda Dunes) introduced Assembly Bill 2601, the Illegal Immigration Sanctuary City Ban, to cut off state funding for cities that actively undermine federal immigration enforcement. All funds withheld from sanctuary cities would go toward local police training for federal immigration enforcement.

"It´s outrageous that some cities in California intentionally promote illegal immigration," said Assemblyman Benoit. "Worst of all, these sanctuary cities provide refuge to international gangs by leaving the police powerless against already-deported criminal aliens. My common-sense measure would reward local governments who cooperate with federal immigration enforcement and train their cops to report felony offenders to the proper authorities."

A sanctuary city is defined as any municipality that adopts a "don´t ask, don´t tell" policy by not requiring their employers, including law enforcement officers, to report known illegal aliens present in the city, to federal immigration officials. According to a 2006 report released by the Congressional Research Service, there are five localities in California that have sanctuary status: the cities of Fresno, Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco, and the County of Sonoma.

Benoit´s bill would remove Vehicle Licensing Fee funding from sanctuary cities, and deposit those monies into an account to fund law enforcement training under Section 287(g) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigration Responsibility Act. Section 287(g) authorizes the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to enter into agreements with state and local law enforcement agencies, permitting designated officers to perform immigration law enforcement functions.

In December 2006, the City of Costa Mesa became the first city in California to provide training to their jailers, under the supervision of sworn U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers. Under Costa Mesa´s program, a full-time ICE agent works in the city´s jail and checks the immigration status of felony offenders. In the first year of their program, the City of Costa Mesa cooperated in the deportation of 360 criminal aliens, with 114 entering proceedings that could lead to their removal.
    http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/54590
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well i MUST say " Bermuda Dunes " is a very Gay , happy sounding area . Ha, only from San Fran .
    Seriously , I support Benoits Bill and his thoughts on the subject . I hope he can "pull it off"
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*