Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Calif. Congressman Admits Taking Bribes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051129/ap_ ... an_bribery

Calif. Congressman Admits Taking Bribes

By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press Writer Tue Nov 29, 4:04 AM ET

SAN DIEGO - After months of insisting he had done nothing wrong, Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham tearfully acknowledged taking $2.4 million in bribes, saying: "The truth is I broke the law."

The eight-term Republican and former Vietnam fighting ace pleaded guilty to graft Monday and resigned, admitting he took money mostly from defense contractors in exchange for government business and other favors.

"In my life, I have had great joy and great sorrow. And now I know great shame," a tearful Cunningham said after the plea. "I can't undo what I have done but I can atone."

But Cunningham, who could get up to 10 years in prison at sentencing Feb. 27 on federal charges of conspiracy to commit bribery and fraud, and tax evasion, may not be the only person ensnared in the case. Prosecutors have indicated they have more than him in mind.

"There's more work to be done," Assistant U.S. Attorney Phillip Halpern said Monday. Cunningham has promised to cooperate.

In the plea, Cunningham, 63, acknowledged working with four co-conspirators to take bribes from defense contractors and others. Prosecutors said the bribes were paid in a variety of forms, including checks totaling more than $1 million, cash, antiques, rugs, furniture, yacht club fees and vacations.

Prosecutors said he used his influential position as a member of a House Appropriations subcommittee to secure defense contracts worth tens of millions of dollars for those who bribed him.

Cunningham, a swaggering former flying ace with the Navy during the Vietnam War, was known on Capitol Hill for his interest in defense issues and his occasional outbursts. He gave patriotic speeches on the House floor, including one in favor of a constitutional amendment to ban flag burning.

The case began when authorities started investigating Cunningham's sale of his Del Mar house to defense contractor Mitchell Wade for $1,675,000. Wade sold the house nearly a year later for $975,000 â€â€
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Former Congressman Randy 'Duke' Cunningham wins early release from post-prison monitoring

10News Digital Team 10:02 PM, Jul 8, 2014
    10:02 PM, Jul 8, 2014

SAN DIEGO - Former San Diego Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-CA) is officially a free man.
    A judge granted Cunningham early release from post-prison monitoring. He was supposed to be monitored for two more years.
    Cunningham served eight years in federal prison and time a halfway house for one of the largest bribery cases involving a member of Congress.
    Cunningham pleaded guilty to tax evasion and conspiracy in 2006. In addition, he also admitted receiving at least $2.4 million in gifts, cash and trips from defense contractors in exchange for steering government work their way.
    In a phone interview last year, Cunningham told 10News he would probably end up living in a one-room cabin near a lake so he could go fishing.
    Prior to the bribery scandal, Cunningham represented California's 50th Congressional District. He resigned amid his legal woes.

http://www.10news.com/news/former-co...oring-07082014

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn