Email This Story Print This Story
Related To Story

Video: Car Theft Safety

Police Warn About Car Thefts
Car Thefts Concern Residents

POSTED: 8:30 pm MDT April 6, 2006

April 06, 2006 -- Car thefts in Texas are among the highest in the country, and El Paso police said no matter what kind of vehicle you drive-- old or new -- you could be the next victim.

"It does worry me," said Carlos De Anda, who is one driver who says he is always cautious about locking his car, especially when he is at school at UTEP for hours.

Police say, however, there are other drivers who make costly mistakes, like leaving their keys in the ignition and the vehicle unattended when they run an errand inside a building.

"We get in that mode of thinking -- 'It's just a quick errand. I'll be right back. No one is going mess with my vehicle,' and that's when we become a victim," said Officer Steven Plummer, with the El Paso Police Department's Auto Theft Task Force.

Plummer said that police tend to see a spike in car thefts during the summer months. He said the warmer weather makes it easier for thieves to operate during the early morning hours because the weather is nicer. Plummer said peak hours are from 1 to 5 a.m.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/8519688/deta ... 72006&ts=H