Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Carpentersville Ordinance Targets Illegal Immigrants

So I'm sitting reading this site and the CBS Chicago news has a teaser about Carpentersville voting on an ordinance. I suppose they showed both sides -but of course showed a Latina (her label) saying how racists it is. Is this the first Illinois town that is going to vote? I'll see if I can find email information for any other Illinoisian or others who want to send them encouragement -will post in the Action Forum too. I, of course, want them to vote it in so it moves to my town as well. This town is not that far from Waukegan...

Village President: BSarto@vil.carpentersville.il.us

Trustees link: click on their names

http://vil.carpentersville.il.us/board.htm

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local ... 90548.html

Sep 28, 2006 6:01 pm US/Central

Suburban Ordinance Targets Illegal Immigrants
    Opponents Charge Discrimination

Katie McCall
    Reporting

(CBS) CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill. There's heated debate in Carpentersville over a very tough ordinance aimed at illegal immigrants. It would make English the official language of the village. It would also be illegal to do business with undocumented immigrants, even rent housing.

CBS 2 North Suburban Bureau Chief Katie McCall reports on charges of discrimination.

Latinos in Carpentersville make up 40 percent of the village population, but some residents worry these business will move out if a proposed ordinance passes.

“It's not about race. It's about illegal aliens. It's about overcrowding in homes. It's about the rising cost in medical and education,” said Village Trustee Judith Sigwalt. “It's as plain as the nose on our faces. You know the law is the law.”

Trustee Paul Humpfer drafted what he calls the Illegal Alien Immigration Relief Act after learning the village spent $372,000 last year on ambulance fees for residents who he says were illegal.

"We're paying for it here, on a local level, and we feel we need to address the problem," said Trustee Paul Humpfer.

The ordinance prohibits anyone in Carpentersville from doing business with, or renting to, people it calls illegal aliens. Violators risk losing their business license-and landlords face $1,000 fines.

It also establishes English as the official language of Carpentersville, saying the village must print all of its documents and signs in English only.

Board President Bill Sarto calls it a bad idea.

“I really have more faith in our board than to pass something like this,” said Sarto.

Trustee Linda Ramirez Sliwinski calls it racist.

“They are targeting the Hispanics,” said Sliwinski.

Local real estate agent Sylvia Realzola agrees, and wonders who would enforce it.

“It is a slap in our faces as a Latina woman and a Latina business woman. I grew up here,” she said.

A town in Pennsylvania just passed an almost identical law, and has already been sued by the ACLU and another civil rights group, but proponents say they're determined to pass the ordinance here.

The board of trustees in Carpentersville will talk over the ordinance on October 3rd, and then vote 2 weeks later.

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

what?

“It is a slap in our faces as a Latina woman and a Latina business woman. I grew up here,” she said.

Uh, I think it's a slap in the face to those aiding and abetting illegals. I don't care where you grew up, what race you are or what you had for breakfast, if you AID and ABET illegal aliens, you should be fined.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Here's a focus campaign page for Carpentersville. Since this is a news article it is better suited in the news area.

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=223923
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=232297

Proposal targeting illegal immigrants pitched in Carpentersville
    By Larissa Chinwah
    Daily Herald Staff Writer
    Posted Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Some Carpentersville officials are tired of waiting for the federal government to take action on illegal immigrants.

So, until federal action is taken, Trustees Paul Humpfer and Judy Sigwalt have a plan of their own, much to the chagrin of other village board members.

The pair wants to introduce an ordinance that would target landlords and business owners who rent to or hire illegal immigrants. The ordinance also would recognize English as the official language of the village, which boasts a Hispanic population of more than 40 percent.

Humpfer and Sigwalt will take the proposal to the village’s audit and finance commission meeting tonight.

“This is not a racist thing,” Sigwalt said. “As long as they are legal, they are welcome in the village. The main thing is, the law is the law.”

Humpfer, the chairman of the audit and finance commission, said the ordinance is loosely based on a measure recently passed in Hazleton, Pa. The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit against the town.

Still, Humpfer said, the Pennsylvania town’s perseverance encouraged his moving forward with the proposal.

The ordinance would fine landlords and penalize businesses that are found to “aid and abet” illegal immigrants, Humpfer said.

“I have been following what other villages and communities have been doing around the country to try and find a solution to the problem,” Humpfer said. “We want to make it more difficult for illegal immigrants to live in the village. That is the extent of it.”

Two main issues — crowding and a spike in public safety costs — prompted Humpfer to take action on the measure.

Legal residents of the village are unfairly shouldering health care, educational and other expenses of illegal immigration, Humpfer said.

“Our need for officers with special training and equipment has increased with the growing gang problem in the village, and thus has increased the cost of this service to the village,” he said. “The need for public safety services increases when we have people living in the shadows of society who are using village services.”

Although details are not finalized, Humpfer said the police department would likely enforce the ordinance. He said landlords could face fines while business owners could lose licenses, in addition to being fined.

But village officials who oppose the measure say immigration is beyond the scope of local governments and should be left to the federal government.

“I don’t know how we can say English is the official language of the village when the government hasn’t said it is the official language of the country,” Village President Bill Sarto said. “We can enforce our codes, but we cannot wall off the village.”

Trustee Linda Ramirez Sliwinski said she would not support the ordinance because the village had not yet looked at the whole picture.

“How can we stop providing services to people in the village?” Sliwinski said. “It doesn’t make sense to introduce an ordinance that we cannot enforce.”

But Humpfer said the village does have power to enforce laws within the municipality.

“We cannot enforce federal laws, but we can make new, local laws that target people who aid and abet illegal immigrants living in this country,” Humpfer said.

Humpfer and Sigwalt will seek the approval of the audit and finance commission at tonight’s meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the conference room at village hall, 1200 LW Besinger Drive.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=232690

Sparks fly over Carpentersville proposal on illegal immigrants
    By Larissa Chinwah
    Daily Herald Staff Writer
    Posted Thursday, September 28, 2006

The illegal immigration debate in Carpentersville will likely spill over to the next village board meeting.

What began as a civilized audit and finance commission meeting Wednesday night quickly turned into a hostile, 45-minute debate complete with accusations, finger pointing and dissent.

After the commission moved on the issue of rental unit inspection and licensing, commission Chairman Paul Humpfer introduced a discussion item he said was related to residential housing and rental units: illegal immigration.

“I have seen an increase in gang activity, crime, overcrowding, and I am concerned there are illegal aliens living in the village,” said Humpfer, to the applause of some residents in attendance. “There have been situations that found people who are illegal aliens are living here.”

Humpfer cited several instances, including the writing off of more than $372,000 in ambulance bills because two collection agencies “could not find these people.”

When Humpfer attempted to move the Illegal Alien Immigration Relief Ordinance to the village board for discussion and approval, Village President Bill Sarto opposed.

“There is overcrowding where there are no illegal immigrants residing in the village,” Sarto said. “It is difficult to make a blanket statement. I agree code enforcement needs to be toughened up. But the economics of the housing situation, have you thought about the fact that some houses would be empty if not for the five people living in it?”

The proposed ordinance would recognize English as the official language of the village and punish landlords or business owners who rent to or hire illegal immigrants.

Committee member Judy Sigwalt said the ordinance was necessary for the benefit of the community.

“There is a ghost population of 10,000 people in this village,” Sigwalt said. “If they owned houses and paid property taxes, we wouldn’t have to fight at budget time. They are not contributing to the infrastructure of the village.”

Other commissioners questioned the village’s ability to handle another lawsuit should the ordinance pass.

“Every town that has passed an ordinance like this has been sued,” said Commissioner Virginia Gregg. “Litigation is going to come up if we pass a strong ordinance. … We need to take consideration of the costs.”

Residents foreshadowed the fireworks as some toted signs that read, “I support Humpfer and Sigwalt,” while others read, “No discrimination against the Hispanics.”

No action was taken on the ordinance.

wink

Brian, I really appreciate you taking the time to put this town in the FOCUS campaign area. I just got very excited -with a town only an hour away from me looking at an ordinance- and I only had a little time left on the computer. I do apologize.

Let's hope I'm posting about Waukegan looking at an ordinance someday soon.

Again, thank you
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: wink

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinwaukegan
    Brian, I really appreciate you taking the time to put this town in the FOCUS campaign area. I just got very excited -with a town only an hour away from me looking at an ordinance- and I only had a little time left on the computer. I do apologize.

Again, thank you
    Something tells me that you will, FED! Not sure when but YOU WILL.

Re: wink

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinwaukegan

Again, thank you
    These towns keep popping up quickly with ordinance proposals. There are several more we need to add but since this one is starting to look like it is heating up I thought I better get the page up now.