Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL: "The Most Corrupt State in The Country outside of Mexico"

Chicago police bracing for 300,000-strong march

This is what's happening in our crooked city, run by bunch of Crooked, Liberal Democraps.

I don't know how much it's going to cost us. Love to see a riot and national headlines. Just like the 60's.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago police bracing for 300,000-strong march

By David Heinzmann
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published April 27, 2006, 9:13 PM CDT

Chicago police are expecting as many as 300,000 demonstrators Monday at an immigration rights rally downtown, but officials said they are hopeful the event will be orderly.

However, even if all goes as expected, authorities said Thursday that they anticipate traffic gridlock in the Loop, crowded train stations and street closings that could change from moment to moment.

Crowd sizes are difficult to predict but because of extra publicity and a venue change from Federal Plaza to the roomier Grant Park the event may be larger than one held about seven weeks ago.

"Crowds are expected to double, maybe triple from the last march," said Charles Williams, deputy superintendent for the patrol bureau.

Williams stressed that march organizers have been cooperating, and police hope to maintain a lower profile than at anti-war and anti-globalization rallies.

"If you have an orderly and peaceful march, you don't need overwhelming numbers of police officers," Williams said. Police will be outfitted in their normal, blue "soft uniforms" rather than black body armor and riot gear, he said.

Police expect protesters from other causes will join the demonstration, but Williams said the department is confident that the organizers' cooperation will help keep the event under control.

Still, children's safety is a concern. At the March 10 march some children became separated from their families. On Monday, a public safety tent near Lake Shore and Balbo Drives will have a special area for lost children and the elderly. Williams suggested parents attach a tag with names and phone numbers to their children's clothing.

With thousands of people walking from Union Park at the corner of Ashland Avenue and Randolph Street through the Loop to the lakefront park, police and transportation officials anticipate traffic jams.

Portions of Randolph, Desplaines Street, Jackson Boulevard, Columbus Drive and Michigan Avenue will be closed during the late morning and afternoon to accommodate the march, which begins at noon.

Elevated trains would be a better way to travel than buses on affected routes, said Cecelia Comito, chief of staff for the Chicago Transit Authority.

Some trains will be kept at their rush-hour lengths of six to eight cars all day to handle the larger crowds, Comito said. She also recommended that riders have paid fare cards in hand before heading to train stations and bus stops to cut down on vending machine lines.

Metra officials are drawing up their own plans, said spokesman Patrick Waldron.

"We're using the best guesses at this point as to where people are going to be and at what time they are going to be there so we can position equipment so we can carry as many people as possible," Waldron said.

He also encouraged people to buy monthly passes Friday, rather than Monday, to cut down on lines at downtown stations.

Despite the large crowds March 10, that demonstration was finished by 6 p.m., Williams said. With speeches in Grant Park planned for 3 p.m. Monday, he said he hopes for a repeat.

"If I can match that same time, I will be happy," he said.

Tribune staff reporter Virginia Groark contributed to this report.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/
    chi-060427immigration-rally,1,633908.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true
    "IMPEACH JORGE BUSH NOW!!"

I will never ever see the Democrats the same, ever again!

I hope ICE shows up with plenty of buses.

Pray for rain. Plenty of rain.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

I was listning to the radio and this is basicly advertised as an EVENT!!! It's disgusting.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I heard that they never paid for the last protests that cost Chicago 0ver 30,000 dollars. Who is going to pay for all these new protests that are sprouting up all over our nation?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I wonder what the food courts at the airport will look like?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by dataman
    I hope ICE shows up with plenty of buses.

Pray for rain. Plenty of rain.
    Hail and Brimstone...Hail and Brimstone!! Seriously, rain would be a nice touch!
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

Thunderstorms...terrible lightning...LOL...but only after they all get together...( just being mischievous, y'all)

MJ