Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Concerns Raised Over Illegal Immigrant Rental Ban

Concerns Raised Over Illegal Immigrant Rental Ban
    Escondido Ordinance Likely To Face Legal Challenges

POSTED: 8:12 am PDT October 10, 2006
    UPDATED: 8:36 am PDT October 10, 2006

ESCONDIDO, Calif. -- The Escondido City Council's approval of a controversial ordinance that allows the city to check the status of suspected illegal immigrants and ban them from apartments or rental houses is likely to face a stiff challenge in the courts, but it could also cause turmoil in Escondido's heavily Hispanic schools, NBC San Diego reported.

Images: Councilwoman Says Store Was Vandalized After Making Proposal

According to the school district, 65 percent of the 18,000 students in grades kindergarten through eighth are Hispanic, and about half the high school students come from Hispanic families.

Schools are not allowed to ask about immigration status when children enroll, but if the rental ban is confirmed by the city council, and survives an expected legal challenge, some families could leave the city, taking their children with them.

If the school district loses students, it also loses money from the state.

One school district trustee said she is willing to pay that price, because she thinks the rental ban is a good idea.

"Well, as a school district, we're doing the best we can to educate the students that come through our doors, but that does not mean we should be supporting illegal immigration just to fill up our classrooms." said Joan Gardner, an Escondido School Board Member

But another trustee hopes parents won't be intimidated by the new law.

"Because the schools definitely are not responsible for this ordinance, and I don't think by-and-large the education population supports this and I don't see anyone not sending their children to school because of it." said Royce Moore, another Escondido School Board Member

The district superintendent told NBC San Diego it's just too early to predict what effect, if any, the rental ban could have on district enrollment or finances.

She said the district will deal with that problem, when, and if, it happens.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/10043438/detail.html
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Sec. 274. [8 U.S.C. 1324]

(a) Criminal Penalties.-

(1)(A) Any person who-

(i) knowing that a person is an alien, brings to or attempts to bring to the United States in any manner whatsoever such person at a place other than a designated port of entry or place other than as designated by the Commissioner, regardless of whether such alien has received prior official authorization to come to, enter, or reside in the United States and regardless of any future official action which may be taken with respect to such alien;

(ii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law;

(iii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;

(iv) encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law, shall be punished as provided in subparagraph (B); or

(v) 1/ (I) engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or

(II) aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,

-------------
    I'm not a lawyer but not checking citizenship status prior to renting to an illegal or knowingly renting to an illegal sure sounds like a violation of federal law.

JOHN
    Sec. 274. [8 U.S.C. 1324]
    Doesn't this apply to the elected officials who knowingly march & advocate for ILLEGALS also?

This is driving me crazy........why aren't these yahoos made to adhere to the LAW?

Has there been any lawsuits filed against them at all? Look at the SENATE, for heavens sake.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

some families could leave the city, taking their children with them
    If they are here illegally and leave, taking their kids with them .... well, that's the whole point isn't it.
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

Look at the pictures. One of the councilwomen is having her business vandalized after she supported the rent enforcement. They didn’t put much of that in the story, but perhaps she needs some emails of encouragement. It seems like intimidation tactics are being used to thwart the vote in support of the ordinance.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

DUH.....Lose money from the state? If they are here illegally and they leave, the extra cost will no longer be a factor.

The only reason they need extra money is because the huge influx of illegal school aged children

MW
    Schools are not allowed to ask about immigration status when children enroll, but if the rental ban is confirmed by the city council, and survives an expected legal challenge, some families could leave the city, taking their children with them.

Hmmm.....and I thought I'd heard it all. Where do these idiots think the state money comes from? Someone please inform them of where the state gets the money to fund them! While you're at it, tell them who is paying for the free breakfast and lunch meals the illegals are enjoying.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Concerns Raised Over Illegal Immigrant Rental Ban

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    . . . and the school will be less crowded (smaller class sizes) and we (the taxping CITIZENS of the USA) will not be providing a free education to children who should be being educated by mexico!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke