National Review Online
June 20, 2013
By Peter Kirsanow

Amnesty/Border-Security Debate Challenge

The shameless dishonesty emanating from the proponents of the Gang of Eight Bill is remarkable even by Washington standards. Today they’re touting an epic “tough border security” amendment that’s supposed to rally sufficient support to give the bill unstoppable momentum going into the House.

It’s a lie wrapped in a sham inside a farce. I repeat once again: There is NO border security in the bill. Read the language pertaining to the bill’s border security. It’s easy to do. It’s in English, with passable grammar and appropriate punctuation.

The new epic amendment adds nothing whatsoever. It’s a painfully transparent attempt to give senators additional linguistic ammunition to fool their constituents. It’s simply more boob bait for the Bubbas.

To appreciate just how insultingly meaningless the “tough border security” amendment is, consider that it promises to build a 700 mile fence along the 1930- mile southern border—the same fence already mandated by the Secure Fence Act of 2006; the same fence which, to date, has only 36.3 miles of double-layered fencing–prompting President Obama to proclaim that border security is “now basically complete.” How many times does congress have to pass the exact same requirement before it’s actually done?

Regardless of where you stand on immigration reform, the endless and multiplying efforts of our elected representatives to hoodwink the American people should infuriate you. Senators seem utterly undeterred by the fact that trust in government today is at a nadir. They remain intent on doubling down on duplicity.

I challenge any senator who supports the Gang of Eight Bill to a debate on whether the bill is an amnesty and whether there’s any actual border security in the bill. I’ll spot you 10 points on a 100 point scale. Make that 20. You choose the judge. My only requirement is that the forum be neutral.

If I win, you’ll publicly renounce the bill and vote against it. If you win, I’ll shave my head.

Look forward to hearing from you.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...peter-kirsanow