Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coulter, Reid, Gutierrez Spar on Immigration

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Coulter, Reid, Gutierrez Spar on Immigration

Video at source link.
    ~~~

by Ian Hanchett
    19 Jun 2015
    365 comments

Columnist and author of “Adios, America” Ann Coulter debated immigration with former MSNBC host Joy Reid and Congressman Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) on Friday’s broadcast of HBO’s “Real Time.”

The discussion began with Maher and Coulter debating the number of illegal immigrants in the US, and the prior immigration system in the US. Coulter said that, “We used to have an immigration policy where we would choose the best in the world, and that was changed,” Maher rebutted, “Well, we would choose the whitest in the world.”

Coulter continued, “Look, the pre-1970 immigrants were more educated, made more money, were more likely to buy houses, and 30% of them went home. Now, no one goes home, they go on welfare, and they are far more likely to be on welfare than the native population, I think a nation’s policies should be concerned with the people already here, and that includes the immigrants who came last year and the year before. It should be people who live here benefit, not to become the battered woman’s shelter of the world, where we’re bringing in the hardest cases, and the wife beaters, and single mother with eight kids.” Maher responded that he didn’t think those assertions were born out by statistics, because Coulter said there were 30 million illegal immigrants, while government stats say there are 12 million. Coulter argued that her number from Bear Stearns is more accurate than the Census figure that the 12 million came from because “people who have trekked thousands of miles, left their families behind, broken laws, stolen Social Security cards, are not going to be filling out government surveys.”

Maher answered that he still thinks that number is high, given lower birthrates among Mexican women, and “I’ve read everywhere that actually the net immigration from Mexico in the last seven years has been zero.” The two then agreed to suppose 30 million is correct, Coulter stated, “the point at issue is, should America’s immigration policy be used to benefit the people already here, or should it be benefiting Pakistani pushcart operators, illiterate in their own language, never mind ours, who come here, go on welfare, commit terrorism, engage in crimes. Why wouldn’t you look out across the world, like a sports team does, and try to get the crème de la crème?”

Gutierrez was then offered a rebuttal that Coulter was “revving up, you know, it’s a like a Latino registration machine,” and warned “you’re never going to take the White House with this kind of politics ever again–.” Maher then told Gutierrez “that didn’t exactly answer her question.”

Reid then responded, “We were earlier talking, and touched on the issue of slavery. Ever since the forcible removal of millions of African-Americans from chattel slavery, this country has been importing new slave labor because this country wants, and runs, and is fueled by cheap labor,” a point Coulter agreed with. Reid added, that cheap labor was and continues to be drawn from Mexico by “people who are on your side, big agriculture…the big corporate interests who want people to come here.” Coulter reacted that she is not on the side of big agriculture or large corporations, and Maher pointed out that Coulter agreed with Reid’s point in her book.

Reid continued, “Once we bring people here, people’s family members, people who’s families are born here are American. Both my parents are immigrants. So, I take great exception to any kind of negative characterization of them, I had one come from Africa, one came from the Caribbean, when they came here, they came for the same reason that everyone does, for opportunity, for education. And when they’re contributing to our society, and they have a child here, like me, I’m a first-generation American and I’m fully American, despite the fact that both my parents were born outside of [the United States].”

Coulter then responded, “that also doesn’t answer my point though it buttresses one of the main points I am making. Yeah, this is cheap labor.” Maher then asked why the book’s title isn’t more critical of Republicans. Coulter responded that the book itself is “far more of an attack on Republicans, on big business, on the Chamber of Commerce, than it is on the left.” Maher agreed that this is true.

Coulter again re-iterated that the US’ immigration policy should focus on its citizens, not other countries’. Gutierrez argued, “all the fruit you eat, all the vegetables you eat, they are all picked by foreign labor.” Coulter jumped in, “they can be picked by machines. … These are all people who are going to be on welfare soon.” After a long period of crosstalk, Maher finally took over the discussion.

He asked Coulter what Geraldo Rivera thought of the book, she said that he liked the book because of her praise of Puerto Ricans for making the US “more vibrant.” She continued, “In other words, we didn’t need 30 million Mexicans, we already had African-Americans, and I mean African-Americans, not immigrants. And we already have the Puerto Ricans.” And “I’m just stating, we didn’t need the 1965 Act for all this vibrancy we’re getting because we’re getting a lot of crime and welfare use.”

The discussion concluded with Maher asking Coulter how she could justify her immigration position in light of her Christianity, to which Coulter answered, “you don’t have to take homeless people to sleep in your bed to prove you’re a Christian. This is our home.” Maher disagreed, saying that he thinks Jesus Christ would like people letting the homeless sleep in their beds.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/...n-immigration/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The discussion concluded with Maher asking Coulter how she could justify her immigration position in light of her Christianity, to which Coulter answered, “you don’t have to take homeless people to sleep in your bed to prove you’re a Christian. This is our home.” Maher disagreed, saying that he thinks Jesus Christ would like people letting the homeless sleep in their beds.
    The world has changed. We now have something called foreign aid, which permits us to help people at a distance, while maintaining the quality of American life.
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade

Is Maher old enough to have known JC that well? How about others who subscribe to other religions or none?

Political debate is not the place to debate religion! Who started that? I know W mixed politics and religion. He had a term for describing it, supposedly making it politically correct. Faith based service, or something? He presented it as not to be taxpayer supported?

I guess it is PC now. It is prudent to recruit religious institutions to operate detention centers for profit. How does that make them tax exempt? Has the IRS certified yet that they are not profiting from those centers? And why not? Has the Supreme Court ruled that is Constitutional for churches to be compensated by U.S. government? I did not think so. Why is not DOJ challenging that?

Our government is so delinquent in keeping up with what, all is their job that they are terribly incompetent! Should I bring up thousands of unsafe bridges, inadequate sewer and water facilities,. Our government deserves being fired all 536 of them and all their assistants and bureaucrats. Many of them probably deserve prosecution..

Quote Originally Posted by kevinssdad View Post
    Is Maher old enough to have known JC that well? How about others who subscribe to other religions or none?

Political debate is not the place to debate religion! Who started that? I know W mixed politics and religion. He had a term for describing it, supposedly making it politically correct. Faith based service, or something? He presented it as not to be taxpayer supported?

I guess it is PC now. It is prudent to recruit religious institutions to operate detention centers for profit. How does that make them tax exempt? Has the IRS certified yet that they are not profiting from those centers? And why not? Has the Supreme Court ruled that is Constitutional for churches to be compensated by U.S. government? I did not think so. Why is not DOJ challenging that?

Our government is so delinquent in keeping up with what, all is their job that they are terribly incompetent! Should I bring up thousands of unsafe bridges, inadequate sewer and water facilities,. Our government deserves being fired all 536 of them and all their assistants and bureaucrats. Many of them probably deserve prosecution..
    You just hit upon another significant problem in the United States, the funding by our government of phony 501 C 3 "charity" organizations, most of which are part of a religious organization. When did this start? Well, under Bush One. Remember his "1000 Points of Light"? That's what this was, bringing in faith-based "charities" to do government work for fees, compensation and oh yes of course, profit.

Here an article on the fool's program:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_points_of_light

The phrase "a thousand points of light" was popularized by US president George H. W. Bush, and later formed the name of a private, non-profit organization launched by Bush to support volunteerism.[1]

Contents

History

The term was used by George Bush in his speech accepting the presidential nomination at the 1988 Republican National Convention in New Orleans. Written for Bush by Peggy Noonan and Craig R. Smith, the address likened America's clubs and volunteer organizations to "a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky."[2] Bush reprised the phrase near the end of his speech, affirming that he would "keep America moving forward, always forward—for a better America, for an endless enduring dream and a thousand points of light."[2]

He repeated the phrase in his inaugural address on January 20, 1989:
    I have spoken of a thousand points of light, of all the community organizations that are spread like stars throughout the Nation, doing good. We will work hand in hand, encouraging, sometimes leading, sometimes being led, rewarding. We will work on this in the White House, in the Cabinet agencies. I will go to the people and the programs that are the brighter points of light, and I will ask every member of my government to become involved. The old ideas are new again because they are not old, they are timeless: duty, sacrifice, commitment, and a patriotism that finds its expression in taking part and pitching in.[3]
    Cont. in link.

Then the organizations got greedy and started applying for grants and bidding on contracts. Clinton was concerned about that.

Then GW Bush made it an initiative to expand it to include direct government funding of "faith-based" organizations to do government work.

And somewhere in between Bush One, Clinton and Bush Two, the idea of an NGO came about, Non-Governmental Organization, and funding them.

So between the 3 initiatives, these phony outfits are not providing "charity", are not doing the Lord's work, they're operating as lucrative enterprises exploiting illegally I believe, their 501 C 3 tax exempt status, which is one of the reasons I love the FairTax so much. Under the FairTax, if you sell it to the end-user consumer, there's a FairTax on it, the only transfer of services and products that aren't subject to the tax are business to business, used and charity transactions, and a "charity" transaction is a gift. Any "charity" you sell for money or barter is subject to the FairTax as it should be, anything you give away is not, whether you're a 501 C 3 "charity" or "religious" organization or a hard-driving multi-billion dollar a year for-profit corporation, which why I make the statement often that the FairTax shuts down these phony 501 C 3's the minute the FairTax is passed, and rightly so.

Now prior to these initiatives, there has been the long-standing issue in government-funded health care. 80% of US hospitals are 501 C 3 "charities". And for many years, these "charity" organizations have been compensatied by Medicare and Medicaid payments. That's another problem all to itself that the FairTax will go a long ways towards resolving.

The FairTax by its very nature corrects and solves so many problems.
    Last edited by Judy; 06-20-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)