Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Councilman Looks to Curb Illegal Alien Labor

Contact the Town, show your support!

Town Council (760) 240-7000 ext 7051
    mailto:towncouncil@applevalley.org

Article:
    http://www.vvdailypress.com/2006/115125079596722.html

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Councilman looks to curb illegal alien labor

APPLE VALLEY, California — Fresh on the heels of similar legislation passed earlier this week in another California community, at least one Apple Valley c o u n c i l m a n is itching to draft a resolution that could s t r i p bu s i - nesses of town contracts if they’re caught employing illegal aliens.

Councilman Tim Jasper originally floated the idea to his colleagues during the June 13 council meeting, inspired by legislation created in Highland.

The Highland resolution — passed June 13 — essentially echoes the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, federal law that requires employers to hire only workers who are legally authorized to work in the U.S.

Jasper said he took cues from Highland’s resolution, but is still gleaning over the finer points. The intent: Businesses that use illegal aliens while operating under town contracts could have their contracts revoked without eligibility to reapply for a period of years.

The Highland resolution doesn’t specify punishments for employers caught hiring illegal workers, but Jasper said it may be possible to revoke a business contract and forbid the company from reapplying for up to five years. He also said a resolution by Apple Valley of ficials would essentially buttress f e d e r a l a n d state law, since the town’s contracts don’t explicitly identify its stance on hiring illegal workers.

Apple Valley Council’s interest in the issue aligns with similar measures being explored throughout the country. Last week in Hazleton, Penn., the City Council tentatively approved a measure that would revoke the business licenses of companies that employ illegal immigrants. The Hazleton measure is aiming to make E n g l i s h t h e city’s official language, as well as impose $1,000 fines on landlords who rent to illegal immigrants.

Elsewhere, an Idaho county filed a racketeering lawsuit against agricultural companies accused of hiring illegal immigrants, while a pair of police chiefs in New Hampshire have begun arresting illegal immigrants for trespassing.

Town spokeswoman Kathie Martin said Apple Valley’s contracts with businesses simply state that the town adheres to all state and federal guidelines, which would include the 1986 Immigration Act.

Councilman Scott Nassif said a town resolution could impact companies providing everything from construction and landscaping services to paving and street-sweeping.

“It’s mainly just to make sure we’re doing the right thing,” Nassif said.

But Jasper added: “The intent is to make sure the workers in the town of Apple Valley have a chance to work before undocumented workers do.”

Jasper said council will likely discuss the issue at the July 25 meeting.

The Associated Press contributed to Shawn Foucher may be reached at 951-6232 or sfoucher@vvdailypress.com.

A little good news does one's heart good! I am so happy to hear of anything like this happening. We need to show our support!

It seems that San Bernardino County is willing to make a stand. It will be interesting to see if they get anywhere. I wish Riverside, Los Angeles and San Diego counties would follow. But, they're probably already too far gone .