Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

County targets illegal immigration - MD

County targets illegal immigration

fredericknewspost.com
    By Bethany Rodgers
    News-Post Staff
    Originally published November 04, 2011

An undocumented Salvadoran man's arrest on murder charges has spurred county officials to attempt to crack down on illegal immigration.

The Frederick County Commissioners and sheriff have generated a number of ideas, such as requiring businesses to vet employees through federal databases and prohibiting day labor sites.

While some proposals were already in the works, the recent arrest of Jose Reyes Mejia-Varela brought the effort to the forefront, Commissioners President Blaine Young said Thursday.

U.S. officials deported Mejia-Varela in 2009, but he re-entered the country and last week was charged with the fatal shooting in March of a Burger King manager in Frederick.

"I think that it is a big wake-up call," Young said of the arrest, adding that illegal immigration can seem like a distant problem. "We're not immune, and we just found that out."

Young and Frederick County Sheriff Chuck Jenkins have for months been tossing around ideas for toughening local laws against illegal immigration.

At Thursday's commissioners meeting, Young read a list of proposals, such as requiring county businesses to check employee work authorization through E-Verify, a Web-based system run by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration. Officials could also formulate rules to prohibit day labor sites.

Adding power to an ordinance that makes English the official language of Frederick County and barring landlords from renting to undocumented immigrants also made the list.

After 30 to 45 days of review, Young said, county attorneys will advise the commissioners on whether the proposals could be implemented as ordinances, regulations or resolutions.

Jenkins said he is pleased to see the county moving forward with the action items so the area doesn't gain a reputation as a haven for undocumented immigrants.

"The bottom line is this: I am willing to do anything I can along with Commissioner Young to make Frederick County not a sanctuary county," he said.

Efforts to battle illegal immigration have a human cost, said Jeanie Cronin, president of Centro Hispano of Frederick, a local nonprofit that provides services to area immigrants. Although she believes in obeying the law, deporting people can split up parents from children and wives from husbands, causing more harm than good, she said in an interview Thursday.

"This is just the wrong way of going about it. I don't know what the right way is, but separating families is just hurting people," she said. "I believe in respect in human dignity. I believe we should treat each other in the best way that we can."

The county has already set up some measures to address illegal immigration, including requiring their government contractors to make sure their employees are documented.

Young said illegal immigration can lessen the quality of life for county residents and place an added burden on taxpayers.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sectio ... yID=127919
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Efforts to battle illegal immigration have a human cost, said Jeanie Cronin, president of Centro Hispano of Frederick, a local nonprofit that provides services to area immigrants. Although she believes in obeying the law, deporting people can split up parents from children and wives from husbands, causing more harm than good, she said in an interview Thursday.

"This is just the wrong way of going about it. I don't know what the right way is, but separating families is just hurting people," she said. "I believe in respect in human dignity. I believe we should treat each other in the best way that we can."
    I'm so sick of this stupid argument against enforcing our immigration laws. A woman was just recently murdered outside a Walmart here in NY and I responded on that thread with this very sarcastic reply: http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-1280645.html#1280645
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Frederick murder case sparks debate about illegal immigration

Brad Bell

November 4, 2011

The arrest of a suspect in the murder of a Frederick Burger King manager has ignited a debate in Frederick County about illegal immigration.

5 Comments

The suspect arrested by police, 21-year-old Jose Reyes Mejia-Varela, is an illegal immigrant who had already been deported once before.

Federal criminal charges are pending against Mejia-Varela for illegally re-entering the country after having been deported as an aggravated felon, police say. He has also been charged with first-degree murder, armed robbery, first and second-degree assault and theft.

County Commissioner Blaine Young is proposing a package of rules to drive illegal immigrants out of Frederick County.

“What happened was this hit kind of close to home. So we kind of fast-tracked some of those initiatives we want to look at,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thank you for voting!

Yes 91.88% (294 votes)

No 8.13% (26 votes)

Total Votes: 320

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

working4change
    Yes
    92.19%
    (307 votes)
    92.19%
    (307 votes)

No
    7.81%
    (26 votes)
    7.81%
    (26 votes)

Total Votes: 333