Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Current Uninforced Immigration Laws - Fines, Penalties, etc.

Penalties
    Current law
    ● Sanctions against employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants:
    Civil violations
    l First offense: Fines of $250 to $2,000 per violation.
    l Second offense: $2,000 to $5,000.
    l Third offense: $3,000 to $10,000.
    l Improperly filling out I-9 forms verifying employee eligibility: $100 to $1,000 per form.
    (Fines also subject to increase based on escalation clause pegged to inflation.)
    Criminal violations
    l Those who engage in a pattern or practice of knowingly hiring illegal entrants: Fine of up to $3,000 per entrant and up to six months in prison.
    Penalties for illegal immigrants:
    l Unlawful entry: A criminal misdemeanor subject to six months in prison. Up to two years in prison for subsequent offenses.
    l Unlawful re-entry after deportation: A felony, up to 10 years in prison.
    l Overstaying visas: A civil violation. Ineligible to return to the United States for at least three years for overstays of more than six months. Barred from returning for at least 10 years for overstays of more than a year.
    House bill
    Civil violations
    l First offense: $5,000 to $7,500 per violation.
    l Second offense: $10,000 to $15,000.
    l Third offense: $25,000 to $40,000.
    l Improperly filling out I-9 forms verifying employee eligibility: $1,000 fine to $25,000 per violation.
    Criminal violations
    l Those who engage in a pattern or practice of knowingly hiring illegal entrants: Fine of up to $50,000 and no less than one year in prison.
    l Unlawful entry: felony, up to a year and a day in prison.
    l Overstaying visas: would be called unlawful presence, a felony, up to a year and a day in prison.
    (House leaders say they are receptive to reducing the punishment to a misdemeanor during future negotiations.)
    Senate judiciary committee plan
    Civil violations
    l First offense: $500 to $4,000 per violation.
    l Second offense: $4,000 to 10,000.
    l Third offense: $6,000 to $20,000.
    l Improperly filling out I-9 forms verifying employee eligibility: $200 to $2,000 per form.
    Criminal violations
    l Those who engage in a pattern or practice of knowingly hiring illegal entrants: Fine of up to $20,000 per entrant; up to six months in prison.
    l Unlawful entry: No change in current law.
    l Overstaying visas: No change.
    getting a visa
    ● Foreign citizens who want to enter the United States must first get a visa from their local U.S. Embassy. There are two categories:
    l Nonimmigrant visas for a limited visit for a specific purpose.
    l Immigrant visas for those who want to move permanently to the United States.
    There are different types of non-immigrant visas, including the A-1 for diplomatic visitors, the H for temporary workers and the F-1 for students. Most nonimmigrant visas are given to tourists and business visitors.
    The process for getting an immigrant visa is complicated, and applicants usually have to be sponsored by a relative who is a U.S. citizen or by an employer.
    Legal immigrants receive lawful permanent residence, or "green cards" that allow them to work in the United States and identify them as permanent residents. (These cards are mostly pink now, but they were green years ago, and the name has stuck.)
    There also is the yearly Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, a lottery of 50,000 green cards. Applicants worldwide can apply for the program, although not every country is included.
    Becoming a permanent resident is not the same as being a U.S. citizen. To become a U.S. citizen, a person must be "naturalized," a process with several requirements, which include:
    l Living in the United States as a legal permanent resident for a continuous period of time.
    l Taking an oath of allegiance to the United States.
    l Reading, writing and speaking English.
    l Knowing the basics of U.S. history and government.
    For more information, visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Web Site at www.USCIS.gov

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/125794
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Ya......seems the laws are all right there. See no need to discuss or re-write them. Just enforce them. What's so HARD about it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What's so HARD about it?
    I always wondered the same thing myself.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

I knew it! I have argued with dozens of people who claim knowing English isn't required to become an American citizen. Like bloody hell it is too.

Most of those employer fines seem like jokes. The middle group was the only group that i think would demand attention.

Ultimately the key here is enforcement. No matter what it is. And that hasn't been done in a very long time.