Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Day laborers race across nation to raise awareness

Article Launched: 03/04/2006 12:00 AM PST

Day laborers race across nation to raise awareness
    By Susan Abram , Staff Writer

Day laborers from North Hollywood will join those from across the nation today for a two-month race from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic to bring awareness to migrant rights.

Twelve core runners expect thousands to join them along the way. The 3,000-mile run begins in Santa Monica and winds through Los Angeles with a stop at the Federal Building for a rally, before continuing on through Arizona, Texas and Washington, D.C, and ending in New York City.

"It's not only a run, it's a protest against injustice, against labor exploitation," said Oscar Paredes, a labor organizer from New York City, who is one of the core runners. "It's about the hate out there from the paramilitary groups and the Minutemen along the border. We want to tell them, you have to stop the hate."

Day laborers, mostly Hispanic men without legal citizenship documents, have been at the center of immigration debates. The Senate Judiciary Committee began crafting an immigration bill this week to tighten U.S. borders, while President George W. Bush's proposed temporary-guest-worker program has been met with less than enthusiasm.

Locally, about 125 protesters - both opponents and proponents - rallied outside a day labor center next to a new Home Depot in Burbank in January.

The National Day

Advertisement

Laborer Organizing Network is sponsoring the run to call for immigration reform and recognize that about 12 million undocumented immigrants are in the United States, according to the agency.

Along the way, the runners hope day-laborer supporters will participate. Runners will stop at work sites, talk to community members and hold marches and ceremonies.

"The slogan of this is running for dignity and running for peace," said Antonio Bernabe of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles. "The experience of running in a marathon brings us together. We will be from different cultures, running as equals, going in the same direction. The challenge is huge, but the message we are sending is huge. We want unity and understanding."

Susan Abram, (81 713-3664

susan.abram@dailynews.com

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_3567592
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Running across the nation? Where is ICE when we need them?

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Yes, RR it would e nice if ICE was right behind them in the race.

I think the race would be better if they ran the other way. It seems as though they are on northward path with their current plans. changethe starting point to NY and change direction for the same distance plus a few hundred more miles and that would work for me.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I want to vote out every Senator and Congressman that allows this blatent slap in the face of the American people.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Me too, New Mex. Me, too! GRR........
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

I certainly hope that the rest of the Texans are as furious as I am about the state of affairs. No question that these idiots will be packing very shortly.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones