http://www.thesentinel.com/286715648923594.php

Day laborers still struggle for county help

By Contessa Crisostomo

Staff Writer

The day laborers of upcounty are still without a center.

The Gaithersburg City Council did not approve both the proposed permanent site for a day-laborer center at 415 E. Diamond Ave. and the interim site at a city-owned parking lot behind the Shell gas station on S. Summit Avenue at a work session July 26.

The council was previously optimistic about the proposed locations but changed their minds after meeting with many upset residents and local business owners.

"When we first heard of the site at 415 [E. Diamond Ave.], it seemed to comply with what the task force recommended," said Mayor Sidney Katz. "But we learned that 415 [E. Diamond Ave.] is not the site for this."

The council also voted against the county's proposed funding structure in which the city of Gaithersburg would receive a grant for the project, giving the city the responsibility of contracting with an operator. The previous structure had the county directly leasing and contracting a site for the center.

Councilman Henry Marraffa is opposed to the day-laborer center because he said it would set up the city for a potential lawsuit.

"This is the land of laws, and we swore to uphold the law," he said. "I don't think day-laborer centers are successful. We shouldn't put the city at risk."

However, councilmembers agreed that there still needed to be a solution to the nearly 50 day laborers that congregate in a parking lot next to the Grace United Methodist Church on Route 355.

"We owe it to residents and Grace Church to take the problem out of their backyard," Councilman Stanley Alster.

Many residents testified at the July 26 work session, arguing both sides of the issue.

Susan Payne is a Gaithersburg resident who is opposed the previously proposed locations and the idea of day-laborer centers in general.

"I'm very opposed to sending a message that Gaithersburg is a sanctuary for people who want to break the law," said Payne. "It's a bad message to send, and it's not good for the future of the city of Gaithersburg."

Payne shared the view of many residents that night that are opposed to the city using taxpayers' dollars to assist in building a shelter.

"How dare they come over here and demand the same rights as an American citizen?" she said. "They don't have any rights to anything sponsored by taxpayers."

Local business owners were also upset about the proposed permanent location. Mark Sweeney, the owner of Paintmasters, which is located at 419 E. Diamond Ave., said the site at 415 would be the "kiss of death for businesses" and that the center would scare away customers, especially females.

One big concern for Sweeney and the neighboring auto-repair businesses was parking. City officials said the site at 415 would have "adequate parking" with four to seven spaces, but the business owners say it's closer to three or four.

Myong Shin, the owner of J&D Auto Service, only found out that 415 was even considered as a site the day after the council already denied the location.

"Olde Towne would be a mess, especially my parking lot," said Shin. "I'll lose my customers, Paintmasters would lose their customers... everybody here would be hurt."

But not everyone was opposed to the center. Michael McKay, a Gaithersburg resident, said in his testimony that he does not believe the center would encourage illegal immigration, and that there needs to be some sort of solution.

"They'll be here, and we must figure out how to deal with them," said McKay.

As a representative of the day laborers, the Rev. David Rocha of the Camino de Vida United Methodist congregation said in his testimony that he offers his church's services to operate a day-laborer center, wherever that may be.

"I am a servant, and I offer today my services," Rocha said. "Every location could be good if there is good management."

Rocha has been visiting the jornaleros - the Spanish word for day laborers - for the past three years and serves them breakfast a few times a week.

"We are not criminals. We are decent human beings," he said. "We don't want to be the problem; we'd like to be part of the solution."