defendant used car, man says
JOLIET FIREBOMBING TRIAL

By Stewart Warren
STAFF WRITER

JOLIET — During the investigation into the deadly Madeleine Street firebombing last year, Jose D. Rodreguez lied to police at first.

He said he was the only person who drove his white Jeep Grand Cherokee on April 9, 2005.

The next time they questioned him, Rodreguez told the truth.

Now living in California, the former Joliet resident testified Friday during Juan Santana's murder trial. Because he only speaks Spanish, Rodreguez spoke through a court interpreter.

Santana is one of the men charged in the deaths of Lourdes Nunez, 35, and her daughter, Merary, 4. Around 1:45 a.m. April 9, 2005, they were in bed upstairs when a Molotov cocktail crashed through a first-floor window of their home. Two other children were sleeping downstairs, and they were able to escape. But Nunez and the little girl died in the blaze.

Santana, 28, and Ignacio Jacobo, 20, both of 208 Illinois St., and Sergio Anguiana, 23, of 800 N. Summit St.
, all have been charged with the two deaths. Santana's trial began Monday and is the first one to be held for the crimes.

At the time of the crime, Rodreguez lived with several relatives at 410 Catalpa St., he testified. Hours before the firebombing happened, he drove his freshly washed truck to his girlfriend's house, picked her up, played football and then went to Anguiana's home on Summit Street, he said. He was there until the early morning hours of the following day, drinking pop and chatting with friends, he said.

Around 1 a.m., Anguiana asked to borrow his Jeep and he agreed, Rodreguez testified. Then Santana, Anguiana and Jacobo left the house on Summit Street for at least 40 minutes, he said.

When they returned, Santana told him that there were two young Latin Kings that were causing them problems in front of his house on Illinois Street, Rodreguez said.

"He said that they should not disrespect them," Rodreguez testified. "He referred to himself as opposite of them, as an adversary to them."

Later that day, Rodreguez went to his job, finished and was en route to another job when he was stopped by police, he said They wanted to know where his car had been that night. Rodreguez told them he was the only person who drove the Jeep.

Will County First Assistant State's Attorney Greg DeBord asked Rodreguez why he lied.

"Because I was afraid they would do something to my family," Rodreguez testified, adding later that Santana had called and threatened him.

He told the truth later. DeBord asked why he decided to do that.

"I changed my mind, because then the police would grab them and protect my family," Rodreguez said.

The trial will continue Monday.

- Reporter Stewart Warren can be reached at (815) 729-6068 or swarren@scn1.com.

08/19/06
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/top/4_1_JO19_SANTANA_S10819.htm