"Dreamers" stage immigration protest at Salmon's office

Catherine Calderon, The Republic | azcentral.com
6:12 p.m. MST June 4, 2014

Dream Act students and supporters protested immigration policy in Gilbert at Rep. Matt Salmon's office on Wednesday.

(Photo: Catherine Calderon/The Republic)

Immigrant families and advocates gathered at U.S. Representative Matt Salmon's office in Gilbert to protest lawmakers' inaction regarding immigration reform on the one-year anniversary of a U.S. House vote on a measure that would allow certain illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children and graduated from high school the opportunity to earn permanent residency.

The group of 20 to 30 protesters outside of Salmon's office joined those in 27 other states across the country who were targeting 20 House Republicans in their home districts.

For many at the rallies, the issue is deeply personal.

Abril Gallardo, 23, of Gilbert, said the measure, formally known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals but commonly referred to as the Dream Act, helped her attend community college in the 2 years since President Barack Obama's administration authored the bill, but the lack of resources available to immigrants is an issue.

Gallardo said her brother was diagnosed with kidney failure and cannot get on the transplant list because of his status as a "dreamer".

"Immigration reform is about the life of my brother and not only him but several others who I'm sure are in the same situation," she said.

"Friends of mine can freely take a trip to California, attend school with federal aid. I can not. We just want lawmakers to put something on the table, maybe DACA for all, for our parents, in the mean time."

A representative for Salmon, R-Ariz., declined to comment on the rally, but pointed to a letter Salmon wrote to Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson. Salmon, citing DHS' alleged routine practice of relocating immigrants in communities rather than deporting them, said the Obama administration had encouraged illegal immigration.

The group of 20 to 30 protesters outside of Salmon's office joined those in 27 other states across the nation who were targeting 20 House Republicans in their home districts.(Photo: Catherine Calderon/The Republic)

Ricardo Zamudio, 22, with Neighborhood Ministries, said he hoped the national movement taking place today would signal some change and new legislation in favor of immigration reform. He said the lack of inaction from both Democratic and Republican lawmakers has caused many families to separate. Deportations, under Obama's administration, hit the 2 million mark this year. President George W. Bush's administration hit the same threshold after he had almost completed two full terms in office, prompting criticism about Obama's reform efforts from immigration advocates.

"All we want is for our families to be safe from deportation, for our parents to be able to go to work without any fear," he said. "I think if there has to be some compromise, it should be something that includes a pathway to the dreams that brought families to the United States in the first place."

Neighborhood Ministries, Living United For Change In Arizona, and community leaders also rallied at Salmon's office, holding signs that read "Give us a vote on citizenship" and "Time is Now."

The largely young group of people spoke of the struggles their parents have encountered as undocumented residents in Arizona and their desire to change the current climate in the state for immigrants.

"At this age I've come it realize its not just about me, it's about my parents too, " Francisco Rayado, 19, said. "They feel confined to Phoenix because of their legal status, and only go from home to work and that's something that breaks my heart."

Security at Salmon's office called Gilbert Police after the group refused to leave the office on Wednesday, said Sgt. Jesse Sanger, a Gilbert police spokesman. Police arrived and told the group they would face arrest for trespassing if they did not leave the private property. The group retreated to the parking lot and no arrests were made, Sanger said.

The measure that Salmon and other representatives supported in June 2013 was ultimately struck down but triggered fear among young immigrants about the threats posed to their immigration status and education.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...-abrk/9986647/