Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Durham, NC: Spanish-immersion Elementary Classes Give Kids..

Now another reason to keep your school age kids out of Durham public schools...

Spanish-immersion Elementary Classes Give Kids Bilingual Start

By KELLY HINCHCLIFFE

Posted: Jan. 28, 2007

DURHAM, N.C. — Every child has a story to share, a reason for being in teacher Matt Schewel's second-grade class at Southwest Elementary School in Durham.

Seven-year-old Jack Wasielewski wants to talk with his grandmother in her native language, Spanish. Monserrat Banda, also 7, already speaks Spanish but wants to read it as well. Emma Conklin-Miller's mother used to live in Mexico, and the 8-year-old wants to learn the language.

These and other students are part of a program at Southwest called Two-Way Language Immersion.

In it, students receive 50 percent of their instruction in Spanish and the other 50 percent in English. Classes span kindergarten through fourth grade, and children must apply and be selected by lottery to get in.

The school aims to achieve a balance of half English-speaking students and half Spanish-speaking students. Math, Spanish literacy and science are taught primarily in Spanish, while English literacy and social studies are taught primarily in English.

Currently, 112 students at Southwest - or 16.4 percent of the school's population - are enrolled in the program, which equates to a little more than 22 students per class.

Schewel hopes to expand the program to fifth grade next year and eventually achieve magnet status at Southwest so students from all over the district can take the classes.

"(The program) helps you realize more about your own language and make connections," he said. "It gives kids from all groups an opportunity to interact, and it helps with self-esteem."

Schewel, who says he is a distant relative of Durham school board member Steve Schewel, is director of Southwest's immersion program. He also teaches second- and third-graders enrolled in the program.

On a recent Thursday, students filed into class as Schewel prepared a guest for what she was about to witness.

"You'll be really amazed!" he whispered. With that, he welcomed his students and rattled off a litany of instructions - all in Spanish.

"Sientense, por favor," he said, politely instructing the students to sit.

Schewel didn't slow his speech because it was in a foreign language, and the kids didn't seem to mind. Puzzled looks were nowhere to be found. Instead, students raised their hands to answer questions and responded to the teacher in Spanish.

A few instructions later, students broke off into small groups around the room to begin their class work. More than 10 minutes into class, not a word of English had been spoken.

Even in their small groups, students reminded each other to talk in Spanish as they worked on class projects.

"Muy bien! Muy bien!" said 7-year-old James Carrington, congratulating his second-grade classmate Naomi Hodges, also 7, on a job well done.

"You are muy loco," Naomi shot back, kidding her classmate that he is "very crazy."

James said he has been studying Spanish since he was in pre-kindergarten. He also takes a Spanish class after school, which has helped further build his skills.

"If somebody needs you to translate, you can translate," he said.

James said he encountered that exact situation just a few weeks ago when helped his sister's friend understand some English phrases.

"I had to tell her words she didn't understand," he said.

James also takes time on the playground to help his own friends learn a bit of Spanish, a talent that "really surprises" them, he said.

Parent Jennifer Wasielewski said she has been impressed with how her 7-year-old son, Jack, has done in Schewel's class. He has been enrolled in the immersion program since kindergarten, and the class has helped him communicate with his Mexican grandmother.

"(The program) wasn't well-publicized, but a friend told me about it," Wasielewski said. "Some parents at Southwest probably don't even know it exists."

After seeing her son flourish in the class, Wasielewski has made it her goal to help Schewel promote the program.

"It's such a good opportunity for children to learn a second language," she said. "Anyone who would see what's happening would be amazed and impressed."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/quote]
    287(g) + e-verify + SSN no match = Attrition through enforcement

My family's native languages are Italian and French. Why are these tax-payer funded bilingual classes in only English/Spanish? Why are they discriminating against languages other than Spanish? Why aren't there elementary foreign language classes in German, French, Chinese, etc.?? Why just the Spanish all the time?

Good question!

They should just teach in English IN PRIMARY GRADES. Let them take a foreign language ELECTIVE in junior high and high school.

If you want your kids to learn a foreign language when they are young hire a tutor.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The long standing 'jewel in his crown' (superintendent called it this) school that my children go to may become a dual-language program. It's driving me crazy... I don't want it. But the district is running out of English speakers to fill the program. Will I be chased out of my own town because there are no acceptable schools for my children?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When they make English the official language of the USA, this year I hope, there will be a better fight against it.

They are only setting themselves behind the eight ball if they continue to refuse to learn and speak and do business in English.

Quote Originally Posted by CCUSA
    When they make English the official language of the USA, this year I hope, there will be a better fight against it.

They are only setting themselves behind the eight ball if they continue to refuse to learn and speak and do business in English.
    I think they are forcing us to become a bilingual country. Everytime someone brings up making English the official language, the Hispanic advocacy groups claim it to be discrimination or a violation of their freedom of speech. My favorite argument of theirs against official English is, "everyone knows you have to learn English in America." Yeah, well, my answer to them is: humor us. Pass the law.

There would not be so much resistance from them to this if they did not have a larger agenda. And the whole thing is senseless as 90% of Americans agree that English should be our official language. So, this is basically being held up by a loud minority of activists with the agenda of turning this into an English/Spanish speaking country.