http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp? ... 0&nav=0nqx

Feds Detain 11 Illegals in North Lake Charles Home

August 18, 2006
Reported By: Lee Peck

It all went down Friday morning at 317 Calcasieu Street, where 11 people were detained and one person was arrested. Immigration officials say the sting was part of an ongoing investigation.

A man named Sergio Alire was arrested. Property records show he bought the home in January. Neighbor Melvin Harmon says it was not long after that others started moving in. "All night long you would see a different car come down the street like it was drugs or something. But it wasn't drug activity, it was just these Mexicans," said Harmon.

Harmon estimates more than 20 people were living in the home at one time. He says his new neighbors spoke little English and kept to themselves. "In between my house and their house they blocked the windows in."

Immigration officials tell 7 News the illegals were working in the community. Harmon says he does not know what type of work they were doing, but often wondered. "The have a big white passenger van that pulls up like around 8 o'clock in the morning and drops off like 6 or 7 of them," said Harmon. "Then later on in the evening, he will pass back and pick them up. So I was saying to myself -- what's going on? I thought it might be like prostitution or something because it would be like all women on one van and it would be another van that would pass back by and pick them up."

Harmon says he saw the feds recover several firearms inside the home. "They had guns and all this in the house and we didn't know. It looked to me like they were just ready to take over."

Immigration officials are doing background checks on the 11 illegals detained. If they are wanted for crimes, they will face those charges. If not, they will be deported. Meanwhile, Alire appeared before Federal Judge Alfonzo Wilson Friday afternoon. He is now charged with harboring illegal aliens. Alire is scheduled to appear again before Judge Wilson next Thursday at 10 a.m. for a preliminary exam and detention hearing.