Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Former business owner feels the effects of immigration

http://www.sapulpadailyherald.com/news/ ... 14518.html

Former business owner feels the effects of immigration
    By BOB SHERRILL
    CNHI News Service

— Through the years, Rick Baumer has been able to provide for his wife and two children as an independent paint contractor.

But that’s no longer the case. He blames illegal immigrants from Mexico for driving him out of business.

“I looked up earlier this year, and all I had was no money, a wore out truck and no business,” Baumer said.

He bid several jobs in the Tulsa area, including one contract to paint a 3,500-square-foot house: $4.50 per square foot. But the general contractor gave the job to a group of Mexican migrant workers who bid $3.75 a foot.

“They did a terrible job,” Baumer said. “The paint was cheap, and the contractor was unhappy with the results.”

But instead of returning to Baumer, the contractor continued to hire the Mexican nationals, he said.

Baumer is one of many Americans who believes illegal immigrant workers have been allowed to come too far, and he isn’t alone.

In December, the U.S. House of Representatives approved legislation that would make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally. The bill’s sponsors, Reps. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., and Peter King, R-N.Y., said it was a needed step toward restoring the integrity of U.S. borders and establishing respect for the law.

Billed as a border protection, anti-terrorism and illegal immigration control act, the House bill would also impose new penalties on employers who hire illegal immigrants, require churches to check the legal status of the people they help, and erect fences along one-third of the U.S.-Mexican border.

Now, the Senate is trying to write a bill that would allow the 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. for five years or longer to apply for citizenship. Those in the U.S. for more than two years but less than five would be required to go to a border point of entry, but they could return quickly as legal temporary guest workers.

President Bush has advocated a guest worker program, but he’s stopped short of endorsing the Senate plan.

Baumer said when business owners hire illegal migrant workers, they take work away from Americans.

“When they take on a job, there may be six or seven who will show up for work,” he said, “and they will finish the job in about half the time it takes me.

“When it comes time to pay them, one member of the group will request the payment made to only one person who has a Social Security card,” Baumer said.

The former painting contractor said he could not understand how a customer could be so unhappy with a job and then turn around and expect him to do the same job at a lower price.

Baumer said for the past several years there had been plenty of work, even though it was hard to find at times.

Last summer, Baumer and his crew spent long hours painting new construction housing in Okmulgee County, “but this year has been different.”

Rather than break federal immigration laws and hire illegal Mexican workers, Baumer said he decided to just shut down the business and get a full-time job working for someone else.

“I was lucky to find a general contractor who was concerned about the quality of my work,” he said. “One day he looked at my work and said he did not know there were people still around who knew how to paint that well.”

Will Baumer ever own his own business again?

“Not until they do something with the Mexicans.”

Naturalization rates surged in the 1990s in California, according to a Public Policy Institute of California report, and a big reason was political events — especially a 1994 state law that barred undocumented immigrants from public schools and most health care.

It was never put in action because courts ruled it unconstitutional, but it angered many immigrants and got them politically engaged.

A congressional proposal that would make it a felony to be an undocumented immigrant may be having the same effect.

In March, 1.8 million citizenship forms — a record monthly number — were downloaded off the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Web site, said Christopher Bentley of USCIS.

About 8 million immigrants qualify for citizenship but haven’t applied, according to Department of Homeland Security data. Almost half were born in Latin America, including one-third in Mexico.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Bob Sherrill 224-5185 Ext.201
    crime@sapulpadailyherald.com

Rick Baumer painted houses as an independent contractor until about a month ago. But, he said the decision to end his business came after he could not meet the low prices bid by illegal immigrant house painters. “All I have left is a worn out truck and no work,” he said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“I was lucky to find a general contractor who was concerned about the quality of my work,” he said. “One day he looked at my work and said he did not know there were people still around who knew how to paint that well.”
    Gee I wish I had his help today. I'm painting my kitchen.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)