Former Ozarks City Official Indicted on Federal Charges

Janell Compton, the former clerk-treasurer for Green Forest, Arkansas, is accused of employing five illegal aliens

Joanna Small

Reporter

9:45 PM CST, March 4, 2011

GREEN FOREST, Ar.

A former long-time city employee in the Ozarks is facing federal prison time. She's accused of hiring, harboring, and concealing five illegal aliens.

54-year-old Janell Compton worked for the city of Green Forest up until this past November. She also owns a laundry business in which immigration officials say she employeed illegals.

The business was raided in September; this week a federal grand jury indicted the owner.

For 22 years Compton has made headlines.

"She was originally brought on as clerk-treasurer in '88."

In fact the Harrison Daily Times snapped a picture to profile Compton as a candidate for that office last November. Now it's doubling as a mug shot of sorts and Compton is still making headlines.

"I kind of expected it. In a small town you hear things and I've made it a practice not to contribute."

Mayor Charlie Reece did cut the city's contract with Compton's laundry business back in September though.

"I just didn't feel it appropriate for the city to continue doing business with her," explains Compton.

That was after immigration officials raided her place. Two months later Compton lost the election. Now she's being indicted; Reece hopes that doesn't taint what's become a real source of pride for Green Forest.

The most recent census showed only a 40-person jump for Green Forest. But the mayor maintains that one-third of the nearly 2,800 people who live here are hispanic.

As a result last summer we talked to Reece and the city's hispanic police chaplain about the search for a latino officer.

Reece gives Tyson partial credit for diversifying his hometown.

"I'm thinking it's around 1,800 in Green Forest and half that in Berryville, and Tyson is adding news jobs- 150 in Berryville and 50 in Green Forest."

In January, Tyson joined a nationwide program dedicated to keeping the workforce legal. Reece says that's typical- Compton is the only recent front page news.

"It's the only one I've heard of," Reece concludes.

We went to Unique Linens, Compton's business.

Her husband told us she was unavailable and that he wouldn't feel comfortable talking to us without their attorney. He did say, though, his wife didn't do anything wrong and that the laundry is still open.

If convicted Compton faces up to ten years in prison and a $250,000 fine for each of the five counts.

www.kspr.com