Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Former president, candidate talk to Hispanic journalists

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 90403/1002

Former president, candidate talk to Hispanic journalists
    Zamna Avila (ZAVILA@RGJ.COM)
    RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
    September 29, 2006

U.S. Senate candidate Jack Carter and his father, former President Jimmy Carter, focused on education and immigration issues Thursday during a gathering with Hispanic reporters in Reno.

The younger Carter said he chose to address the Spanish-speaking media because he recognized the growing community's impact in Northern Nevada.

"In the Hispanic community there are a lot of people who are active in politics," Jack Carter said. "The problem is whether we can move the political feeling into voting."

Jimmy Carter, the 39th president, said the Hispanic vote is very important, especially in Nevada.

Republicans are more likely to be motivated to get out the vote, he said.

Jack Carter is the Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate seat held by Republican John Ensign, who is seeking a second term in the Nov. 7 election.

"The key (for Democrats) to winning the election is to get as many percentages of Democrats to vote as Republicans," said Carter, president from 1977-81.

Also, at the news conference at Circus Circus Reno, a Hispanic educator expressed concerns about the increasing dropout rate by Hispanic youths and asked the candidate what he would do to promote education.

While criticizing the Bush administration, the younger Carter offered two solutions:

Repairing and rewriting the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, a federal law aimed to improve school accountability.

Making sure a new education law would be properly funded.

"I don't even agree with the idea of No Child Left Behind in the first place," Jack Carter said.

"... It does do some things well, such as pointing out in some of these cases who is lagging behind, but we have to come back and really get the teachers involved in the education process," he continued. "If we are going to make federal mandates on curriculum we have to also follow along with funds."

Jack Carter said that if elected, he would advocate a permanent solution to the immigration issues.

"I would approach it like I was a businessman. The first thing I would do is say, 'OK, if you came over here and you (get) some sort of permission.'"

A direct path to citizenship would encourage the undocumented to "come out and volunteer to sign up to be on a path to citizenship."

Additional work visas may need to be granted so that U.S. businesses can meet labor needs, Jack Carter said.

Sandy Rodriguez, director of student activities at the University of Nevada, Reno, applauded the candidate for his position.

"He recognized that we had a problem," said Rodriguez, the person who had questioned Carter about the education issue at the news conference.

"You have to look at the bigger picture and people into the discussion not just Congress," she said. "We need to get educators, families and communities involved."

Julieta Marquez, a UNR student who organized an immigration protest in Reno earlier this year, said the proposals are reasonable. But she is concerned the message may not come clear to the public.

"Our motives may be taken out of context," Marquez said. "We believe in a path toward citizenship but also taking into consideration that we are not looking for a free pass for everyone..."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Jimmy Carter needs to stay on his peanut farm with the rest of the nuts!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Jimmy Carter, the 39th president, said the Hispanic vote is very important, especially in Nevada

That is completely crap....in now ways than one....BULLCHIPS..
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Jimmy Carter formally surrendering to Mr. Peanut.

By the way, can anybody tell me what this is supposed to mean?

Jack Carter said that if elected, he would advocate a permanent solution to the immigration issues.

"I would approach it like I was a businessman. The first thing I would do is say, 'OK, if you came over here and you (get) some sort of permission.'"
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Re: GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by ohflyingone
    Jimmy Carter needs to stay on his peanut farm with the rest of the nuts!
    so true. LMAO
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Carter! that communist pissant.

Send him to Darfur on a one way ticket. Throw him a sack of peanuts so that he'll have a rememberance of the good ole US of A.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So the worst president in US history with the exception of course being Jorge Bush II is trying to get his son into the Senate. Yeah that's what this country needs, another communist in the Senate.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

COUNT

somehow I missed your pic and caption. Fabulous and to the point as usual! Please keep em coming.
    ROTF
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)