Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Fresno City Council Blocks Mayor's Request to Challenge Immi

Mayor (Carlos) Alan Autry went ballistic on the news, swearing to spend his last 22 months in office working for immigration reform because the Fresno city counsel refused to sue the federal government for doing their job, arresting illegal aliens.
    Welcome to the central valley (Mexico central that is)

Also on the Ksee24 station site there is a poll. Currently:

) Would you agree with a resolution to condemn federal immigration raids?
    Yes (25.00%)
    No (75.00%)
    Undecided (0.00%)

http://ksee24.com/

Fresno City Council Blocks Mayor's Request to Challenge Immigration Raids
    By Sontaya Rose
    03/20/2007 - Fresno Mayor Alan Autry's attempt to challeng the Federal Government's immigration sweeps was not approved by the City Council. The council deadlocked 3 to 3 with council member Brian Calhoun absent.

Related Links
    Autry Asking to Sue Federal Government Over Immigration Raids
    Fresno and Mendota Mayor Joining Forces
    Activists Demand End to Illegal Alien Raids in the Valley
    Talk About This Story
    Watch Action News On Demand
    Watch ABC Primetime Online
    Autry questioned whether the so called raids were selective and inhumane. Several weeks ago immigration and customs agents rounded up an estimated 200 undocumented workers in Mendota; many they say were wanted fugitives.
    However, Autry and Mendota's mayor questioned the sweep.

"At the end of the day, if you are getting people that 99 out of 100 are going to work everyday under a system that basically invited them here and they are being singled out in an unequal fashion, and you get one bad guy. I don't like that ratio, " says Autry.

Councilmembers had mixed feelings about the federal sweeps. Some said federal agents were just doing their job and others felt they were out to round up any undocumented workers, even those who were not wanted fugitives.

The mayor who wants to secure the US-Mexico border stood before the Fresno City Council fighting for the rights of illegal residents, hoping to change the way federal immigration agents are rounding up illegal immigrants and deporting them.

Mayor Autry asked, "Why not a raid on hotel workers in LA, why not a raid on a construction site in the bay area, or the business owner who employed the worker? Why Mendota and why the farming industry?"

Several other small town mayors came to support Autry. They too questioned whether the sweeps were intended to pick up wanted fugitives or just undocumented workers in general.

Orange Cove City Mayor Victor Lopez said, "I'm not in favor of rapists, and child molesters and drug pushers and all these crazy fools out here, no matter who they are. Out of this country. We don't need that. But people that are giving and giving, there's millions like my father that come to this country to give."

City council members had mixed opinions and perceptions about whether the federal raids in Mendota were selective and inhumane. Councilmember Henry T. Perea says, "Were there any felons they picked up, yeah maybe. Were there any good working people that were picked up that have done nothing but provided for their family, probably. But we will never know, we will never know because the federal government will never tell us."

"I do not believe that immigration and customs enforcement agency is quote unquote violating the law, they're doing their job. And if we need to change that- go to Washington, " says council member Jerry Duncan.

Some council members said taking up the matter was not a local jurisdictional issue and needed to be taken up with lawmakers who can make a difference, instead of a symbolic stand. Councilmember Larry Westerlund says, "I don't feel with any comfort level that it's the duty of the City of Fresno to tell the federal government how they should enforce the law as it is currently written."

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?secti ... id=5135080

Orange Cove City Mayor Victor Lopez said, "people that are giving and giving, there's millions like my father that come to this country to give."
    They sure do Lopez---give us accidents, murders, rocketing real estate prices, rocketing health care costs, ignorant Spanish drivel in commerce situations that require ENGLISH, disruptive students too stupid to learn English that end up dropping out to become gang members, adding wasted education costs to their "giving".

And top it of with 3 million plus anchor babies that the American Citizen can claim as the ultimate "gift"!

No thanks to the "giving"---I have had enough! Pissant mayors of illegal harboring communities should be considered for aiding and abetting too---perhaps that will be the ultimate "gift" for American Citizens!
    [/quote]
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

Enforce the law!!!!!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://ksee24.com/

Thank you for taking this poll

1) Would you agree with a resolution to condemn federal immigration raids?
    Yes (22.45%)
    No (77.55%)
    Undecided (0.00%)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Looks like Bubba missed the boat on this one.

Yes (18.03%)
    No (81.97%)
    Undecided (0.00%)

Orange Cove City Mayor Victor Lopez said, "I'm not in favor of rapists, and child molesters and drug pushers and all these crazy fools out here, no matter who they are. Out of this country. We don't need that. But people that are giving and giving, there's millions like my father that come to this country to give."
    But people that are giving and giving, there's millions like my father that come to this country to give."
    You know, I'm sick and tired of the excuse, oh their just here to work, they're hard working, decent people.

SO WHAT! What does the kind of people they are have to do with tolerating illegal residence in my nation without permission or invitation?

If I broke into someones house and was caught by the Cops, I would know that I broke the law, I would be separated from my family and I knew before I broke in that, being against the law I could get busted and knowing the potential consequences broke in anyway.
    There's no way breaking in is anybodies responsibility, but my own!

I have a silly little rule, if you know it's wrong, there's no excuse, don't do it!

My sister lives there and if the other people in that town are as oblivious as she is about what has happen to her town they deserves it, Fresno is bad, but it is an AG town, and what ever the farmers want the farmers get!!!

I told my sister wait till your boys come up here this summer and see the difference!! she said oh I don't think they even notice, I'm so busy working I don't notice most of the time. STUPID!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Mailing Address:
    Office of the Mayor
    2600 Fresno Street
    Fresno, CA 93721

Phone: (559) 621-8000
    Fax: (559) 621-7990
    E-Mail: Mayor@fresno.gov

Yes
    (18.10%)
    No
    (81.90%)
    Undecided
    (0.00%)

http://www.fresno.gov/Government/Mayors ... efault.htm
    Mayor’s Open Door Day

On the first Monday of each month, Mayor Autry meets with residents who wish to share their ideas and concerns. On these “Open Door Days,” the Mayor and city staff members meet with members of the public from 3-5pm.

Residents who would like to meet with Mayor Autry can request an appointment by telephone or online. Appointments are scheduled at 15-minute intervals on a first-come, first-served basis. Those wishing to meet with the Mayor will be asked to provide a brief description of the subject they plan to discuss, which will help ensure that appropriate staff members are present for the meeting.

To request a meeting with Mayor Autry during an upcoming Open Door Day, complete our online email request below or call (559) 621-8000 (during normal business hours) to receive a hard copy. After receiving your request, your appointment will be scheduled. You will be notified by mail 2-3 weeks prior to your scheduled appointment time. Due to the number of requests we receive, your Open Door Day appointment could be scheduled several months after we receive your request.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

April
    Yes (17.70%)
    No (82.30%)
    Undecided (0.00%)

View Previous Polls

Yes (17.95%)
    No (82.05%)
    Undecided (0.00%)

===============

That now-too-familiar number (%) of 80% rears it's head once again.
    Is there a pattern here?

Oh, BTW - I did vote NO of course, but it looks like a couple others posted a couple Yes responses in between here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast