Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Frist Says Immigration Overhaul Impossible

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2402479
    Frist says immigration overhaul impossible
    Reuters

WASHINGTON - U.S. congressional leaders are giving up on broad immigration legislation that would legalize millions of illegal immigrants and will concentrate instead on border security before the elections, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said on Wednesday.
    "I think it would be next to impossible to pass a comprehensive bill that includes dealing with the diversity of 12 million people here in the next three weeks," the Tennessee Republican told reporters.

President George W. Bush backs comprehensive immigration legislation along the lines passed by the U.S. Senate. That bill would have created a guest-worker program and put millions of illegal immigrants on a path toward U.S. citizenship.

The Senate bill faced stiff opposition in the U.S. House of Representatives from a number of Republicans who preferred the House bill, which focused on border security and workplace enforcement.
    House Republicans held a series of hearings over the summer to highlight their concerns with the Senate bill. House leaders plan to meet on Thursday to discuss how to push border security legislation through Congress before lawmakers break at the end of the month to campaign for November 7 congressional elections.

"Congress will put legislation on the president's desk this fall that will strengthen our borders," House Majority Leader John Boehner, an Ohio Republican, told reporters on Tuesday.

Frist's comments drew an angry response from Sen. Edward Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat who helped write the Senate bill.
    "How can Republicans say they are for making America safer when they can't even pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill to protect our borders?" he said in a statement. "They are so divided over immigration that it will take leadership from the president to break the impasse."
    Frist said he was discussing with House Speaker Dennis Hastert, an Illinois Republican, how to proceed.

"I would think we need to have border security and strong border security first," he said. "I would couple with that work-site enforcement, if at all possible."

Latino activists, who last week began a round of marches to pressure a returning Congress to pass a comprehensive overhaul of immigration laws, reacted with disappointment.

"We don't need more walls, what we need is comprehensive reform that deals with the total picture," said Rosa Rosales, national president of the League of United Latin American Citizens.

"Immigrants are human beings, they contribute billions of dollars to the U.S. economy, and they need to come out of the shadows," she said.
    Activists supporting comprehensive immigration measures plan a march through Washington on Thursday, which organizers hope will attract a million participants from across the eastern United States.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

I hope 4437 passes
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)