Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GA: Students May Be Suspended After Protest Against Immigrat

Students May Be Suspended After Protest Against Immigration Bill

By Lesley Tanner, CBS Atlanta Reporter

POSTED: 1:01 pm EDT May 25, 2011

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ga. --
    Instead of spending one of the last days of school in the classroom, a group of about 60 Douglas County High School students spent their time protesting the state's new immigration law.
    "We wanna be somewhere in our lives," said student Jose Flores. "We are the future."
    The group included some students brought to the U.S. illegally by their parents when they were young.
    "I was brought here when I was 6 years old from Mexico," said student Jorge Lopez. "I was brought here across the desert."
    Lopez and his mother were granted visas in the last month, after more than a decade in the country illegally. Lopez said he will continue to speak out for his friends and family members who haven't had that chance.
    "We're not asked to come here," said Lopez. "We're brought here."
    The governor's office has previously said illegal immigrants cost the state $2 billion each year, including costs spent to educate illegal students. Samantha Morales said the new law will cost families even more. Her father was deported last year after he was pulled over during a traffic stop.
    "Now I'm here with my mom by myself," said Morales. "She's worked so hard to give me everything."
    The students said they're not concerned with potential punishments they may get for missing class. More than 100 students were suspended at Lithia Springs High School after a similar demonstration late last week. Tamara Hernandez's son was one of those students. She said it's unfair for the school district to tarnish the kids' school records over something like this.
    "The kids just want to be heard," said Hernandez. "A lot of these kids are worried every day about their parents, what's going to happen to them, where are they going to go."
    I was unclear immediately after the rally what the punishments will be for the students involved, but the principal said skipping class for any reason can result in suspension.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/28021172/detail.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

skipping class for any reason can result in suspension

What about teaching your kids that the rules are the rules....and abide by them
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I was brought here when I was 6 years old from Mexico," said student Jorge Lopez. "I was brought here across the desert."
    Lopez and his mother were granted visas in the last month, after more than a decade in the country illegally. Lopez said he will continue to speak out for his friends and family members who haven't had that chance.
    How did Jorge Lopez and his mother get visas? I'll bet this is happening a lot more than we realize.