Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gay Mexican man gets asylum in U.S.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16895639/

MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gay Mexican man gets asylum in U.S.
    Bid was denied on grounds he could avoid persecution by hiding orientation
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 7:01 p.m. PT Jan 30, 2007
    LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles immigration judge who previously denied a gay man's 2004 asylum bid on the grounds that the man simply could conceal his sexual orientation if he returned to his native Mexico reversed the decision Tuesday.

In allowing Jorge Sota Vega to remain in the United States, Judge John D. Taylor said that gays should not be required to dress or act a certain way to avoid persecution and that Vega's lawyers proved he would be at risk if he were deported to Mexico.

Vega, 38, who lived in Tuxpan and Guadalajara before he fled to the United States, said he was beaten by police and told by authorities in Mexico he would be killed.

His case attracted attention from national gay rights groups after Taylor denied his application, saying that even though there was evidence suggesting Vega had faced harassment, he could live safely in Mexico because he did not look gay and could hide the fact that he was.

"It seemed to us this is a real double standard," said Jon W. Davidson, legal director of Lambda Legal. "Courts don't deny asylum to someone based on their political beliefs by saying, 'If you just didn't tell other people what you believed, you would be fine.'"

Vega, who now lives in New York, appealed to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The San Francisco-based appeals court sent the case back to immigration court last year after finding that Vega's past persecution was reason enough to think he would be harmed in the future.

Davidson said Taylor's new ruling "showed a change in attitude and an understanding that the same standard should apply for gay people who are seeking asylum."

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16895639/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2007 MSNBC.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wasn't under the impression they needed a judge's ok to stay in America anyway!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Great....illegal's and gay's will be the role models for our children. I think I'm going to be sick.

MW
    Oh geez, I sure hope this doesn't open pandora's box! I wonder how many illegal aliens in the United States are gay? After this ruling, I'm guessing all of them, or at least that's what they'll be telling the judge when they seek asylum.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Oh geez, I sure hope this doesn't open pandora's box! I wonder how many illegal aliens in the United States are gay? After this ruling, I'm guessing all of them, or at least that's what they'll be telling the judge when they seek asylum.
    How do you say "Corporal Klinger" in Spanish?

MW
    CG wrote:

Yeah, now all the male illegals can go out and buy a red dress and heels.

Hmmm....considering the argument of the gay illegal (fear of persecution), I bet transexuals can now be guaranteed asylum.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MW
    CG wrote:

Yeah, now all the male illegals can go out and buy a red dress and heels.

Hmmm....considering the argument of the gay illegal (fear of persecution), I bet transexuals can now be guaranteed asylum.
    Thanks for that image. But at least they won't be having anchor babies...

I would say a significant number. I bet they have a saying, what happens in America, stays in America.

I think the Dallas Observer did a cover story called the Gay Caballeros. We brought a copy home and had quite a hoot handing it to friends to read or leaving it on the coffee table waiting for them to notice it. We got some pretty strange looks. Also, I've seen them on COPS being arrested and some are trannie prostitutes.

I found the article! The cover was some guys in cowboy hats dancing.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/20 ... ature.html

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think the Dallas Observer did a cover story called the Gay Caballeros.
    I can't stand it! I'm busting a gut - this is hilarious
    Sick but hilarious

Being 'gay' is grounds for asylum? If thats the case, there will be hundreds of 'Gay Mexican Colonies' springing up all over the country now.