Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Goode: no union on continent

Goode: no union on continent
    BY PETER HARDIN / Richmond Times-Dispatch
    Oct 9, 2006

Rep. Virgil H. Goode Jr., who called for building a fence on the Mexican border long before the idea became politically popular, is setting his sights on a new target.

The Virginia Republican, who represents the 5th District, is asking the House of Representatives to pass a resolution opposing U.S. entry into a North American Union with Mexico and Canada, similar to the European Union.

The resolution that Goode introduced Sept. 28 also opposes a U.S. role in building a "North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Superhigh- way System" through the U.S.

"I consider this resolution preventive maintenance," Goode said last week, acknowledging he had not seen any written proposal by President Bush.
    Al Weed of Nelson County, a Democrat challenging Goode for the seat, blasted Goode's proposal as "a resolution to prevent some sort of rumor" circulated heavily by bloggers.

"Why isn't he passing a resolution," mocked Weed, "to ensure that all the black helicopters flying around America, spying on us, be painted with candy stripes so we can see them?"

The Bush administration, meanwhile, says a joint initiative with Mexico and Canada to enhance security and economic cooperation "absolutely" does not envision a North American Union or a NAFTA superhighway.

"I think there's confusion right now in the public about" what the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America is, said David Bohigian, an assistant Department of Commerce secretary.

Some critics have attacked that initiative as paving the way for a North American Union or NAFTA superhighway.

Goode is Virginia's most outspoken advocate in Congress for clamping down on illegal immigration. A year ago, he was among a few lawmakers calling for a security fence along the 2,000-mile border with Mexico, at a time the idea had not gained momentum.

On Sept. 29, a Homeland Security spending bill that included a provision for building 700 miles of fencing on the border cleared Congress, in the wake of a lack of consensus over broader proposals to revise immigration law.

Goode said in an interview that he is concerned that a NAFTA superhighway system from the west coast of Mexico through the U.S. into Canada might make it easier for drug smugglers and illegal immigrants to enter the country.

As for talk about a North American Union, it would be "in derogation of the sovereignty of the United States," he cautioned.
    His resolution, he said, "at least sends a message across the bow of those who would propose such."

He was joined in introducing the resolution by three co-sponsors, including Rep. Tom Tancredo. R-Colo. Tancredo is nationally known for advocating strict enforcement of laws regulating illegal immigration.

Weed assailed Goode's resolution as "wasting Congress' time and taxpayers' time. It seems like some sort of paranoia that they would build this superhighway; I don't know of any concrete plans to do it."

George W. Grayson, a College of William and Mary government professor and authority on Mexico, said some discussion of a North American Union came after the election in 2000 of Mexican President Vicente Fox, and it has continued.

"It has about as much chance as a snowstorm in the Sonoran Desert of being approved," said Grayson, a former Democratic member of the Virginia House of Delegates.

As for Goode's resolution, Grayson theorized that there is widespread frustration across the nation over illegal immigration.
    "It may be Virgil is articulating that frustration," Grayson said, "in a way he thinks is best."

Contact staff writer Peter Hardin at phardin@mediageneral.com or (202) 662-7669.

On the Internet
    Rep. Virgil H. Goode Jr.:www.house.gov/goode/
    Goode's bill: http://thomas.loc.gov; under "Search Bill Text," type in "H. Con. Res. 487" and mark "Bill Number"
    Commerce Department discusses Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America: http://spp.gov/
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

"I think there's confusion right now in the public about" what the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America is, said David Bohigian, an assistant Department of Commerce secretary.
    There is no confusion DAVID...WE don't want it...and I believe the last time I looked it was STILL AMERICA...YOU REMEMBER....WE THE PEOPLE... NOT YOU AND YOUR UNION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Weed assailed Goode's resolution as "wasting Congress' time and taxpayers' time. It seems like some sort of paranoia that they would build this superhighway; I don't know of any concrete plans to do it."

Hey Smart Guy, You're running for Congress? You should do your research first.

Ever hear of Google or is that a myth as well.

We dont need no Weeds in Congress.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Than I suggest you ask your top boss, el Presidente Boosh, to hold a prime time press conference to clearly explain the SPP, what it is supposed to accomplish, and identify the people/corporations involved in the "working groups".

Banned
    Where has this Weed guy been? Has he seen nothing about the highway battles on this in TX and elsewhere, or the reports indicating construction is to begin in 2007? Someone so ill-informed has no business being in Congress!

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    Where has this Weed guy been? Has he seen nothing about the highway battles on this in TX and elsewhere, or the reports indicating construction is to begin in 2007? Someone so ill-informed has no business being in Congress!
    What Weed is trying to say is: There, there now, go back to sleep American people. Nothing's wrong. Don't worry, we have it all under control. It's all just a silly rumor. Just ignore it.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Banned
    Than I suggest you ask your top boss, el Presidente Boosh, to hold a prime time press conference to clearly explain the SPP, what it is supposed to accomplish, and identify the people/corporations involved in the "working groups".
    That would sure go a LONG way, wouldn't it?

Banned
    Why not pass the resolution? If there is no NAU in the works then the legislation would be harmless. If there is, then it is necessary.

Why not pass the resolution? If there is no NAU in the works then the legislation would be harmless. If there is, then it is necessary.
    Exactly CG!

We need more like Virgil Goode!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee